Charbax and Andy W.

These topics will not be moderated (only spam is deleted)
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

nasi, pmpmoja, I'll bet two packs of cigarettes from the Stalag 17 film that most of the stuff you've got on your Mp3 players were downloaded from p2p networks or copied from a friends Mp3 player without the consent of the RIAA.

People mostly don't bother ripping their own CDs at all, unless those people happen to be old enough to own many CDs and have had plenty of time to spend ripping them, just as I don't think people bother much ripping their own DVDs. It's much easier to download or copy and paste from a friends hard drive who downloaded it.

Anyways I'm not saying legally ripping ones own CDs or illegally (in certain countries with such things as the DMCA or certain EU versions of the DMCA) ripping ones copy-protected DVDs is not done often, so what if there is about 10-20% of the iPods storage that kind-of legitimate rips of private CDs and DVDs, what I'm talking about is a revolution in the online distribution of media that will fill up most of the Mp3 players and PMPs storage with content where artists are being paid much more than they are today, thus improving the diversity and the quality of the content significantly, and improving the experience to the consumers especially.

Luckilly even with monopolies such as Apple and Microsoft, there still is space for other companies to do what they can to try and change things, and eventually, the monopolies do die off unless they quickly adapt to the disrupting technologies and maybe even buy off the disruptors and expand their monopolies to new markets.
alankayser
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by alankayser »

People mostly don't bother ripping their own CDs at all, unless those people happen to be old enough to own many CDs and have had plenty of time to spend ripping them, just as I don't think people bother much ripping their own DVDs. It's much easier to download or copy and paste from a friends hard drive who downloaded it.
I, too, must be among the minority that fill their player (Archos PMA430) with music ripped from my own cds. Call me crazy!

And why would anyone be up so late at night on this forum? It's 9pm here, 3am there. Just kidding!

And what's with that circle graph? No answer? I'll take another survey...

All Americans on this site that don't pay any taxes, please raise your hand...

There you go, no hands...100% pay taxes!
:D
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

If you think your taxes are fair then great. I was just guessing after watching the Michael Moore movie that a bunch of americans are left out, don't have real jobs, don't get healthcare, that there are crappy schools. Not that I'm sure it's any better in Europe, it's just that certain policies have tried to minimize the size of government and maximize the size of private enterprise. So Iraq for example is a whole bunch of money from the government but it's even much more money involved in the private sector such as the privatisation of the Oil, "reconstruction", private security and such. So when the numbers of the price of the Iraq war are said to be $500 billion to America, it most probably is several times that amount if you were to include all the private enterprise spendings, investments, private warfare and those coorporations expected revenues.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

I'm a liberal (in case you haven't guessed), but I don't think you can learn about America from a Michael Moore movie. The Iraq war was the biggest waste of money in history (9-11 Commission report "Iraq had nothing at all to do with the September 11th attacks"). Clinton had America in its first budget surplus ever, and George managed to blow it in weeks.
:-({|=
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I don't only learn about Amerca by watching Michael Moore movies, I also get my american news synching to my Archos every episode of the Colbert Report.
mitchelln
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mitchelln »

I thought I always had the last word? Where's my Zymurgy gone?
:(
alankayser
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by alankayser »

Just in case some of you don't know this, Michael Moore and Steve Colbert are entertainers not reporters.

Watching Colbert on your Archos is as much about America as watching Monty Python is about England. They are out for laughs. Colbert is right on, but laughs are his objective not real news reporting.

Read the Washington Post, the LA Times, among others. Don't watch Fox News, listen to Air America and Al Franken. Read The Nation.

Mao once said, "Don't mistake the American people by the American government." I'd add to that, "Don't mistake the American people by their mindless films and TV." That's not America, that's Hollywood entertaining the world.

Basically, from your comments if you base what you know about America on Michael Moore (bless his liberal heart) movies, that's not much different than basing what you know on Rambo films or 24 or Spiderman.

So go buy a newspaper. Or read Bill Bradley's "The New America." That will teach you about America.

Last word? :badgrin:
pmpmoja
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pmpmoja »

Charbax wrote:nasi, pmpmoja, I'll bet two packs of cigarettes from the Stalag 17 film that most of the stuff you've got on your Mp3 players were downloaded from p2p networks or copied from a friends Mp3 player without the consent of the RIAA.
Not fair! I don't even smoke, how about some beer instead? :D Maybe it's easier to get cheap CDs here (US) than out there, and ripping them certainly is no problem on my end since it'll serve double purpose (my car cd player handles mp3s). I just sign-up for those 12-for-1 promotions from time-to-time to get my CDs. iTunes comes in when I think the CD isn't good enuff (two or more songs is my min)
alankayser
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by alankayser »

pmpmoja, I think you've hit on to something here. CDs are pretty cheap, but when folks don't want an entire album they head over to iTunes to get one song they like. Some will still buy cds, though obviously cd sales are way down. I think that's not so much due to downloading as it is to the quality of music on the market. Good music will sell, junk sits on the shelf. The music industry doesn't seem to understand that consumers will not buy a $15 cd for one good song. That's where iTunes provides a service. At least the artists will make a bit of change from iTunes downloads. Artists never made big money from cd sales anyway. The big money comes from contract advances, concerts, t-shirt and clothing license, etc. It's the MTV generation. Back in the LP days, things were quite different. You either bought an LP or nothing.
mitchelln
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mitchelln »

Aardvark

Remember sitting with your mono tape recorder hooked up to your AM radio waiting to record your favourite song from the chart show and praying the DJ didn't ramble on into it? The MTV generation doesn't know it's bloody well born ;-)
Actually, radio is still the major money earner for the media owners. A UK station has to pay up to £14 each time it plays a chart track.

Zymurgy
birdman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by birdman »

alankayser wrote:
I, too, must be among the minority that fill their player (Archos PMA430) with music ripped from my own cds. Call me crazy!

The minority just got bigger! Al the music on my player is from my own cds, a couple are albums I borrowed from a friend but none are downloaded (death to downloading :evil: )

All Americans on this site that don't pay any taxes, please raise your hand...

There you go, no hands...100% pay taxes!
:D

You didn't give them a very good chance to raise their hands... this is the closest emotacon for it....... \:D/
but in my country (if i owned one) there would be no taxes.. no insurance.
If you actually think about it there stupid really. The goverment is literally forcing you to give them money.
and thats not enough for them either, you need car insurence, a tv licence, dog licence. next your going to have to write them a letter every time you eat a doughnut.

I'm gonna move this to general. Surprised it hasn't been already.
sign here
birdman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by birdman »

alankayser wrote:Some will still buy cds, though obviously cd sales are way down.
Its still the biggest format.
The music industry doesn't seem to understand that consumers will not buy a $15 cd for one good song.
I will! actually, I'l buy it without hearing a single song if someone has recommended it to me.

You either bought an LP or nothing.
the way it should be
sign here
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

birdman wrote:next your going to have to write them a letter every time you eat a doughnut.
We will be able to hit the "I'm eating a doughnut" button on the Archos HSDPA WiMax player.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

So how would you like the garbage to get picked up? What about law enforcement and Emergency Services? Pssh, and who needs a military, right?
nasi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nasi »

Charbax wrote:nasi, pmpmoja, I'll bet two packs of cigarettes from the Stalag 17 film that most of the stuff you've got on your Mp3 players were downloaded from p2p networks or copied from a friends Mp3 player without the consent of the RIAA.

I am old enough to own many CDs and have had plenty of time to spend ripping them. It looks like you've lost your bet on both counts! Luckily I don't smoke either so that's saved you four packs.

I even have a few vinyl records and I might even record those one day.

One of the more interesting features of internet fora ÔÇô you know very little about the people you are talking so, so it's best never to make assumptions about who they are. I could be a six year old geek, an eighty year old veteran, or even a rather smart dog.
lukeap69
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by lukeap69 »

very entertaining.

i've been reading and posting on different other forums and this one is so unique that the admin and few mods are so one sided and/or close minded.

first rule i have learn in tackling problems/issues

recognize that there is one...

come on now, attack and defend and it will still be stalemate.

the reason we are all posting here is because we are or were owners of archos. this is my first PMP. never did buy an ipod. perhaps never will. i just realised that for long time no good solutions to issues on 604 for few months already. don't know if there will still be solutions...
birdman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by birdman »

suproach wrote:So how would you like the garbage to get picked up? What about law enforcement and Emergency Services? Pssh, and who needs a military, right?

I'm from Ireland, and yes thats pretty much what we think. are defence budget this year was Ôé¼1billion which is probably tiny in war terms.

but really.. yes, I don't like most of the things you listed above, the world would be better without them.... and money. (that bit made me sound crazy heh?)
emergency services are needed though. But i have a genuine disrespect for "the law" and the way people hide behind it and say "you can't do that its against the law".
Your a human being, you can think. You can make up your own mind what you can and cannot do. No one can control you
sign here
birdman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by birdman »

lukeap69 wrote:very entertaining.

i've been reading and posting on different other forums and this one is so unique that the admin and few mods are so one sided and/or close minded.
dude trust me, this one is not unique. Any fansite forum you go on (iaudiophile, epizenter..) will tell you that there's is the best.
thats why you go to a "neutral forum when buying something"

this form is unique, however, as it is the only forum I have seen where people love the admin so much. are archos owners angry? have you been listening to that ghastly heavy metal music again? :lol:
sign here
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

America needs a dormant military, not this BS we have now where were overstretched over silly oil. I don't like the five0 either (I don't think anyone who grows up in NY does), but their necessary to a point.
Missionsparta

Post by Missionsparta »

At least the Cowon will record what you want it to. My Archos is more independent than my wife. The SOB does whatever it wants.

Return to “Off-topic”