Press release and what the Moovyplay might be

Video rental system
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Press release and what the Moovyplay might be

Post by Charbax »

Posted at http://archosfans.com/2007/07/31/archos-partners-with-french-cpfk-announces-moovyplay/:

Archos is developing a special player to support some kind of on-location movie rentals solution that the leading french movie rental company is implementing. The solution will let users load one or several movies instantly from the actual movie rental stores, and to then watch them on their TV. There is not many official details about the form, shape or price of the Moovyplay service and hardware yet, but here are my speculations:

I guess that this could be an ultra cheap sub-100Ôé¼ player with hard drive or flash memory but without the battery, that only works in a dock to be connected to the TV and through a charger to the electricity. And it would also work when physically connecting it to a usb plug on one of the video rental machines at CPFK, which is Vid├®o Futur, Cinebank and Vid├®o Pilote. Now I also guess that the complete 5th generation will also perfectly be compatible with this service. So one could have a choice to either get a ultra cheap little storage and playback product that is only useful for physically actually going to the video rental vending machine on location at a video renting store or possibly it could be installed at any store and public place.

Does this service sound strange? Well it is simply Archos partnering also with the established video rental market, which is currently the second largest income for the film industry after the Cinema market and infront of TV broadcasts. This video rental market knows that with the video-on-demand technologies being invented by companies like Archos, that their old business model is threatened, so to stay competitive that video rental industry needs to follow with the latest digital video trends. And what other better way is there for the video rental industry to guarantee their long term survival, then to parner up with Archos which is one of the technology leaders with the 5G in terms of hardware and software for digital video distribution solutions.

Since not everyone in the mass market might have fast broadband yet at home, might not yet know how to setup or connect to a WiFi network, and might not be totally confident giving their credit card details online in the Archos Content Portal to rent, buy or subscribe tp video content, then this partnership probably is to be combined with a digital video renting vending machine technology. You could simply put in a few coins in that video vending machine and connect your Archos or specially designed and super cheap Moovyplay to that vending machine, and I guess not instantly but over a few seconds per movie, you could do your selection of films on the touch-screen and then immediately go back home with a few rented videos ready to play on your TV at home as soon as you connect the Moovyplay to the dock for it.

My guess is the Moovyplay might be available for less than 100 euros, thus maybe even distributed for free by CPFK to customers who sign a contract that they are not owning the Moovyplay but only renting it which could be for free as long as they rent a movie for example at least once a month. And if the user doesnÔÇÖt rent any movie during the month, that user might have to pay some kind of 5Ôé¼ fee or something.

The Moovyplay might look a bit like an over-sized usb thumbdrive, thus maybe a bit like the 104 but without an LCD screen, and I guess that it could replace the need to authenticate with a video rental membership card. There could be this offer: for 100Ôé¼ the customer gets the Moovyplay with 100Ôé¼ worth of video rentals. Thus it would be as easy as just renting a bunch of videos drawing from that membership credit. The whole thing hopefully also will perfectly work with the whole 5G series.

This Moovyplay solution will effectively replace the need to handle DVD discs, which cost money to manage, exhibit and which get scratched, and it also effectively replaces the DVD and VHS player. I really expect the Moovyplay package to include a cheaply made dock with only the tv-outputs and the power connector. I guess that the complete video collection can also be accessed online from the video rentalÔÇÖs homepage video-on-demand system connecting the Moovyplay to a computer, but itÔÇÖs thus mostly for customers who donÔÇÖt mind going to the physical store and connect their Moovyplay to the vending machine to get their dose of video content. I also guess the vending machine will broadcast a WiFi signal giving access to the whole video contents on the 605 WiFi and 705 WiFi with the fastest possible WiFi local network download speeds.

You can read the press release here in french: lerevenu.com
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

This basic TV-out and charger dock, I guess, could also become available as a cheap TV Dock to use for the whole 5G and not only for the Moovyplay, as I guess it'll use the same propietary power and video connectors and I guess that the Moovyplay will also come with a plastic adaptor to fit it on any of the cheap TV Dock or to the DVR Station Gen5.

I'm wondering which amount of memory will be included in it. I guess a 20GB 1.8 inch hard drive might be a good choice, so it would be a bit like the Archos 204 which is retailing currently at 150 euros. So if you take a 204, remove the color screen, remove the battery, and add a usb slave connector and the propietary connector, this I guess could lower the cost of a 20GB such product to below 100 euros. The reason to go for 20GB would be to be able to rent more movies at one time which is attractive for the video rental store. but I guess an even cheaper 8GB or 4GB version using Flash as with the new flash based 5G or 0.85 inch hard drives as in the 104 could also be made.

And again, I guess the best marketing strategy would be to nearly be giving this Moovyplay product out in huge quantities at very attractive prices. I guess to attract more video renting, it could be a package where the customer pays 100Ôé¼ to get the Moovyplay box which include the Moovyplay 20GB, the TV Dock with composite cable and scart adapter and the Remote Controller and get for a start a 50Ôé¼ credit for doing video rentals right away. Maybe the usb connector could be accessible directly without even having to open the box when one purchases it.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I wonder how much it might cost to add an Ethernet port to that basic TV Dock. And if it would be safe to have such access to the Internet through Ethernet this way, such as if one removes the Moovyplay or any of the Archos 5G in the middle of a download over Ethernet, if that could corrupt the memory or if it could be cleverly managed so that the download is automatically and safely paused and can automatically be resumed upon reconnecting to the Internet through the Dock.

This would also provide a good way to get VOD content onto the 405 which doesn't have WiFi but which, I guess, both 405 and Moovyplay should be able to get somekind of Archos Content Portal type of implementation accessing the Internet only from the TV, using the Archos 5G remote control with the built-in keyboard and mouse.

Why is that, it's because since Archos can adapt some VOD solution that is TV centric for the 405 and Moovyplay, while VOD also is wireless and with the touch-screen interfaces for the 605 and 705.

I guess, that if somehow it is not a problem to also add WiFi in the Moovyplay since it's power consumption is less of an issue since it would only work when connected to the Dock, this might be also a good solution for some people who don't want to mess with the Ethernet cabling and possible router setup that goes with it, and possibly it is easier for some people to figure out the WPA code to enter or how to click on a button behind their Wireless enabled triple-play Internet access box which many people already have at home.

I guess that offering both WiFi and Ethernet would be the best solution, though only as long as it doesn't add more than 5-10 dollars to the cost of manufacturing the Moovyplay. Also to consider if the hardware of the 405 and Moovyplay at all can support the kind of Opera browser maybe also with Flash video support, stable Ethernet through TV Dock managment and other such features.

Why is Archos diversifying itself with Moovyplay? I think Archos is doing it because their 5th generation permits them to relatively easilly diversify into providing such custom-designed solutions which can open up whole new market opportunities. Archos really is positionned in a very interesting convergence of digital video technologies, which I think we may see even more diversification soon, like integrating Cellular HSDPA access in partnership with Telcos, adapting the 5G for video-on-demand in Airplanes, customizing the use of headmounted video-recording technology for the police and many more diverse customized use of the 5G which Archos relatively easilly and quickly can work towards. All of which specific market demands can effectively, quickly, succesfully and massively be met by Archos during the coming months.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

This is what I think that the basic Moovyplay could look like:

Would have a very low cost, come with a basic TV Dock that only provides composite TV outputs with the Scart adaptor, the charger and the charger input. As well as the Archos 5G remote control or a simpler remote control with included remote control battery.

The price I would expect for this: 100 euros.

With no loss or subvention to Archos nor to the video rental store.

It could come preloaded with 50 euros of credits worth to use for renting movies, this would be the subvention part of the deal. The reason there isn't 100 euros worth of movie rentals is for people not to buy a new Moovyplay for each time they buy rentings for 100 euros.

I guess a little fatter one could come with 20GB and not have to cost much more (the 8GB 0.85 inch microdrive costs about the same as the 20GB 1.8 inch hard drive). Maybe also an option with built-in WiFi, and Ethernet port on the TV Dock and the special remote control with the built-in keyboard could cost about 25 euros more.

I expect all CPFK stores would also be retailing the complete 5G Archos products as well as the DVR Station Gen5 which brings Component and SPDIF outputs which all also should be compatible with the video rental system put in place here.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

Thats overpriced if you ask me.
moontan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by moontan »

All this is gonna be is for france or the US, they wont care one bit about other countries
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I've posted an update about it here: http://archosfans.com/2007/08/16/moovyp ... with-hdmi/

It's planned to be launched in the beginning of 2008 (upon successful early trials of the hardware) not only in France, but also in Spain, Italy, Germany, the UK, and also the US. Especially in the US, it could be a large partner like Blockbuster who could licence the system to deploy it in hundreds of Blockbuster stores nationwide. Or one of blockbusters competitors. Cause this system is patented, and it also is going to be provided as a turn-key solution.
[email protected]
Archos User
Archos User

Post by [email protected] »

Hi Charbax,

I think that you had seen it...

http://www.archoslounge.net/Exclu-parte ... os-un.html

Return to “Moovyplay”