Dead 405. does not power on at all

Below $100
BUC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Dead 405. does not power on at all

Post by BUC »

Hello... it seems that my 405 2GB its damage somehow... or just broken.... does not start at all, not even when plugged to a PC... the charging light goes on but nothing happens...

Any ideas?
AV580 abUser
BUC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Dead 405. does not power on at all

Post by BUC »

FIXED... I took the screen apart (not sure why) and when I put everything back together and pluged to the wall it turn itself back...

I dont know why this happens... its the second time.... weird.
AV580 abUser
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

sounds like a dry joint to me, if it happens again dismantle it and under the screen the battery terminals are visible (the leads go though the main board then are placed on the screen side of the main board if memory serves), if you have a solding iron just touch them until the solder runs and hopefully this will solve the problem.
i think the 405 runs far to hot for a player that has no moving parts - far hotter than the 605 so given time these sorts of problems are likely to occur if you regually use the player.
luckly the machine as you have probo found out is damn easy to dismantle, the only real fiddly bit is moving the screen away from the main board.
roy
COYI
BUC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BUC »

Thanks Roy. It does make sense.

And makes even more sense to see that the problem occured after I used it for movies through the SD card slot... since my mom only use it for music and its not likely to get hot out of that... Or maybe she left it in the car when it did... anyway temperature seems to be the problem and if this happens again I will follow your advice...

Other than that and the poor battery life, the 405 has proven to be a nice piece of device with few quirks like all...

BUC
AV580 abUser
jacquelinevd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jacquelinevd »

Hello Buc,
I have a simular thing. Charging on and closing is difficult. Could the battery be to old?
Jacq
BUC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BUC »

If you could be more specific... we could help you out...

My 405 is just 1 year old... and I dont think thats old for a battery, since the original cell of my AV500 is almost 3 years old and delivers 65% of its original battery life....

And like Roy said, I think its more likely to be a bad conection when it gets hot or something like that....

So how old is your 405?... do you use it a lot with a SD card... does it get hot?
AV580 abUser
jacquelinevd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jacquelinevd »

yes, it gets hot, and
my computer does not see the archos. So I can only charge and use muziek/video on the SD.
Why?: the SD chart I can remove and plug into my computer, the Archos not.
Jacq. I send an email to the service Archos, now I must wait until they reply:
My letter :
"

I am Jacqueline van Dongen and I have bought an ARCHOS405 in a BCC shop in Nijmegen. The night before I bought it this ARCHOS405 it did not function right, it did not turn on. The salesman charged the battery by locking it on a computer. Strangely the light of the machine did not turn on now.

Next day I returned to the shop. And it was working alright now, It was for me important if I could use it because I have the use of 1 arm (handicaped), and I could use it alright. So I bought it.

But lately the ARCHOS405 shows this meu: ÔÇ£ARCHOS

ENTERTAINMENT YOUR WAYÔÇØ

And stays on this image. It does not go further. When I connect it to the computer, both indicator lamps are turned on, but my computer does not ÔÇ£seeÔÇØ it. ItÔÇÖs charging, but it does not show the image: ÔÇ£usb oke or charge battery.ÔÇØ I suspect that the on/off button is broken.

Could you help me?"

Jacq
BUC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by BUC »

That sounds like a Operational Software (OS) issue... and the first time you should completely charge the player before using it... so actually the salesman could have given you a defective unit... an unit that might have not been charged properly....

In your case, I would try to return the unit, or get a RMA from Archos to send it to them.... (I have returned 2 players to archos, a Gmini402 and my former AV500... and they replaced them, now both player still live and work alright...)

So I hope you can solve this one way or another....

I opened my 405 cause my warranty was already expired... but you should make use of yours....

Good Luck.

BUC
AV580 abUser
jacquelinevd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jacquelinevd »

Buc,
thanks for the reply, I will wait for a answer of Archos.
Jacq

Return to “405”