Converting via FairUse Wizard: A Tour for Dummies Like Me

4GB, 30GB, 160GB...
Monicab1979
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Converting via FairUse Wizard: A Tour for Dummies Like Me

Post by Monicab1979 »

Are you positive you have chosen to save the files to your external hard drive??
willwe
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by willwe »

Thanks average guy, followed your instructions and had no problems. Was confused in the beginning as FUW is now at 2.8. Does anyone know what the %Session%; %part%; etc are for.
750/80GB
Monicab1979
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Monicab1979 »

i have no clue what those are for! i don't use them.
ebrown460
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ebrown460 »

Yes, I do save the files to the external hard drive. As I said, it worked for several videos, but now I get the error message on any one I try.
Monicab1979
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Monicab1979 »

try ripping one that you have successfully ripped before. If it doesn't work...that helps us narrow down the problem a bit.

I know that i could NOT rip 21. I have to download AnyDVD in order to rip that one. It removes the copyright stuff i think.
Jimbob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Jimbob »

Great tutorial! Im assuming after this you just copy and paste finish project to archos?
Yh noob question bet someone elses post threw me a bit.
Thx tho james
Monicab1979
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Monicab1979 »

Hey JimBob! Yes, you just copy the ONE complete file to the "Video" folder on the archos.
MarkT
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarkT »

willwe wrote:Does anyone know what the %Session%; %part%; etc are for.

You can use those variables to automatically give the individual output files from a multi-session DVD sequential numbers in the file name.

Typically I use this with DVDs containing multiple episodes of a series.
willwe
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by willwe »

For us Dummies, could you explain what each does? I tried to use each one but could not see a difference.
750/80GB
MarkT
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarkT »

The Fairuse Wizard web site does cover this :

'You can now use %session%[=startValue], %part%[=startValue], %chapter%[=startValue] macros in the project name to customize multiple file names (i.e. "My TV Show - Season 1 Episode %session%=8" for a disc that starts with episode 8, or "My Movie CD%part%" for a multipart encoding)'

I tend to use the %session% variable with series encoding as they tend to be multi-session disks and using the start value it is easy to get the right file names done automatically.

I don't tend to do much using chapters or multi-part disks though.
ebrown460
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ebrown460 »

OK, I finally got one of the troublesome DVDs to convert, but it took several tries to get there. I tried another DVD today and again got the error message about FUW needing to shut down. This usually happens at the end of the "building program chain index" step. I needed to do a system restore for another reason, and then tried again with FUW and got somewhat further in the process before the message appeared. After about three tries, I finally got the DVD to convert. This therefore doesn't seem to be a copy protection problem. I've done the set up with the tutorial running so that I can check each screen against the tutorial, but I can't find anything that I am doing wrong.
Monicab1979
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Monicab1979 »

try downloading AnyDVD for free, and try ripping the troublesome DVD again...and then you will know for sure if theres an issue. A lot of DVD's will give you an issue. cant hurt to try right?
vibesnrh
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by vibesnrh »

I've been using the full version of FUW for a while now, but I have a resolution question. It seems as though, after I crop the movie, the highest resolution option for many widescreen movies has a very low height (720 X 272 was the latest one I encoded). This seems like a really long and narrow (short) picture to me with a lot of black space on top and bottom. Is this actually the original aspect ratio? Am I seeing the film correctly?
marjayen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by marjayen »

Hi thanks for the turorial.

I did everything as shown and I have files on my computer, however, I transferred them to my 605 into the Files/Video folder and it says that
files not supported file names being *.raw.1.fud. I then moved them to my data folder as someone suggested on this forum but still no joy.

I am an absolute beginner in all this, and of what some might consider advanced years. Patience please.

I want to use the 605 for travelling and watching movies on holiday and on planes, but still want to be able to connect the 605 to TV while abroad so need the ripped versions.

I had no problems recording my dvd's via player, but they can only be played back on the 605. Therefore that's why I am trying to teach myself how to do all this.

I also noted talk of bundles of plug ins, where do you access this.

Any help greatly appreciated
willwe
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by willwe »

I think you might have moved the wrong file, the file that works has *.avi and thats all you need.
750/80GB
marjayen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by marjayen »

thanks willwe, but I cannot find an .avi file in the folder, obviously I have not done this right, will have to go over all this stuff again, tho it's drivin me nuts.
I ripped this movie using DVD fab decrypter, in the folder is the Main Movie folder and a Temp folder. When I open Main Movie I have Audio TS and Video TS. Fair use won't accept this decrypted file.

I can only think I have got this whole thing entirely wrong. Instead of a guide for dummies maybe somebody could give an idiots guide right from taking the dvd out the box. I am getting more confused by the minute.
gibo909
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gibo909 »

Wow, thanks very much! Now I can get my F.r.i.e.n.d.s collection onto my 5 60gb. Thank you!
jimross
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jimross »

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I downloaded Fairuse Wizard and followed your directions and it worked perfect. Not only on the movie I downloaded, but also on the DVD with multiple episodes. I really appreciate you taking the time to simplify the instructions. There are alot of us out there(over 50) who didn't grow up with computers and video games; so we struggle.
fareham99
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by fareham99 »

Just like to say a big thanks to the OP, this works really well and much easier than the methods that I was usin to copy films onto my 605. I did have one problem, I copied the subtitled version so that on my test which was Mama mia I hav words across the screen during the songs. If anybody can tell me what I should have dome to avoid this I would be grateful.
willwe
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by willwe »

What! you need the words of the ABBA songs? I can sing them off the top of my head :lol:
750/80GB

Return to “605 WiFi”