Streaming with Mac

4GB, 30GB, 160GB...
mcjay120
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Streaming with Mac

Post by mcjay120 »

Has anyone been able to stream content from their mac to the 605?
Gulfstream
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Gulfstream »

NO!!!

Anoying seeing as the OS on the thing is said to be written in Linux (as is OS X)
dankwonka
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dankwonka »

i have. i am not really sure how i got it to work. it kind of just worked. i allready had a 'workgroup' setup to use with my xbox as a media center. i go to files, i select network, it then goes online. then a workgroup link comes on and my drives become available. pretty much every file ive tried works.
nasi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Windows sharing?

Post by nasi »

Do you have 'Windows Sharing' enabled on your Mac? This is what Apple call SMB/Samba and is the protocol used by the 605 to look for networked computers.

By default it is turned off. You need to go into System Preferences, under 'Sharing'.
jjneff
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jjneff »

nasi, are you saying I can turn this on and be able to stream from my Mac?? I just may get this over an ipod touch. Also can you cut and pasted in the opera web browser and if someone could check my stock site at
www.istockphoto.com/jjneff that would be great.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

last time I checked mac os x is unix not linux...
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/what-is-th ... -and-unix/
Last edited by suproach on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
:-({|=
nasi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nasi »

The 605 uses samba for it's file sharing. So if you enable samba on your Mac then it *should* let you access files over the network.

I can't test that myself though (or istockphoto) as I don't have a 605 ÔÇô┬ácurrently deciding whether to get one of these or an iPod TouchÔǪ Each has it's pros and cons so it's a bit of a Hobson's choice.
JETS
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JETS »

I will try it in a few minutes. I was using "eyeconnect" from Elgato and cna stream to the 605 WiFi no trouble. I will try with Samba and let everyone know

Sylvain
jjneff
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jjneff »

nasi I am in the same boat between the ipod touch and the 605 The main reason I like the 605 is space, more codec support,screen, for the ipod its the size, Safari browser and user interface. What about you?
mcjay120
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mcjay120 »

I just tried streaming with eyeconnect, works fine except I not able to play radio stations in my itunes playlist.
JETS
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JETS »

I checked www.istockphoto.com/jjneff and played the "bear under water video (flash). It played nicely on the 605.

I was also debating about the IPod touch but then with 160 gig, various codec and even with purchasing the Web browser, for the price...

But at the end it depends on what your needs are. For me, it's the whole package, including streaming videos and space to store my large video library.

Sylvain
JETS
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JETS »

So fr, Eyeconnect is working fine. I haven't tried streaming the Internet radio from Itunes.
jjneff
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jjneff »

Thanks for checking JETS, can you cut and paste in the opera web browser?
nasi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nasi »

jjneff, for me the choice basically comes down to:

touch: UI, built-in TV out (no bulky dock to carry around), reliability, customer service
605: screen size/resolution, capacity, greater codec support, DVR dock

In addition to that there is the potential for 3rd party apps. The touch will probably be hacked in the same way as the iPhone and there is a growing list of apps for that. The 605 will have widgets but it remains to be seen how open the API is for that.

If the touch had a hard drive I'd probably get that. If the 605 was more reliable I'd probably get that. At the moment I'm inclined to wait and see how things develop. Things I will be keeping an eye on are:
- improvements in reliability of 605 through later batches/firmware updates
- apps getting onto the touch
- Archos releasing widgets for the 605
- Archos releasing the TV+ (to see how well that could act as a DVR and interact with a 605 or touch).
JETS
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JETS »

nasi, very good deduction on what are the main plus/minus with each units. It will be interesting to see how things develop. It would be nice if there were an email/ calendar client on either unit.

It is more likely that someone will either be able to extract the IPhone email client and install it on the IPod Touch, or create a client for it.

On the other end, i'd love to be able to add some-kind of PIM / Calendar program into the 605, to make it even more versatile.

Sylvain
nasi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nasi »

If you look at the photos of the touch you can see that there are already calendar and contacts apps on there, so the touch already has basic PIM capability. How that app works I don't know as they don't make a big deal of it but I suspect it is the same as the Calendar app on the iPhone (if you want to see how that looks there are a couple of pages on it in the user guide available at http://www.apple.com/iphone/).

It would be great if the 605 included PIM apps, but it would seem that Archos has chosen to position their products away from that area. The PMA430 was their last product with such apps. Now they seem to focus on media consumption, streaming video (VOD) etc.

Also, with the home screen of the touch being more than half empty, that is clearly an interface that has been designed for and is just waiting for more apps to be added
JETS
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JETS »

I am told however that the calendar appliccation is no longer on the IPod Touch.

See the following: www.engadget.com/2007/09/10/apple-confirms-ipod-touch-cannot-add-appointments/

But I don't think it would be long until the application gets added to the Touch.

Sylvain
nasi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nasi »

That is a shame, and a rather poor decision on Apple's part.

Still, given their agnostic stance on hacking the device I guess someone will come along with an alternative.

It does push the swingometer a little in the Archos direction.

Return to “605 WiFi”