605 with NAS

4GB, 30GB, 160GB...
asprinwizard
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

605 with NAS

Post by asprinwizard »

Hi there,

Have just been reading up on the Archos 605 (I'm currently an AV500 owner). Was thinking of upgrading at somepoint and the 605 seems the obvious choice.

What I wanted to know about was people's experinces of streaming AV content using an NAS Drive. I have recently bought a netgear SC101 which I will be setting up to use as a media server. Has anyone got this drive working with the 605? If so how easy is it to use and set up?

Thanks in advance.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

So far NAS has been only discussed here http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=20
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I'm not totally sure, but I think you need a Windows computer turned on at all times for the SC101 to work. Basically it becomes a hard drive that you can only see inside of Windows.

If SC101 could be autonomous and host http, ftp, samba, Upnp and other protocols all by itself, that would be cool. But as I understand it, Netgear is doing a lot of things that only works with Windows.

It's not like for example the more expensive D-Link DNS-323:

nasi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nasi »

You are correct about the SC-101, which is not really a NAS at all but a SAN (Storage Array Network). It uses custom device drivers that run on the client PC that access the SAN over the network and present it to the operating system as a local hard drive.

That is why it will only work with Windows - because a) it doesn't use standard network protocols for access and b) device drivers have only been written for Windows.

Netgear only licence the technology in the SC-101 from Zetera, so it is Zetera who would have to write drivers for any other platforms that the device could then support. From the looks of things they haven't even written Vista drivers yet.

http://www.zetera.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=113

The SC-101 would never support http, ftp, samba, etc. because those are the features of a NAS devices and that this is not ÔÇô┬áit is completely different technology.
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

ive got a Maxtor NAS drive (320gb) connected to the wireless router, and another 2 WD 500gb Ibooks connected to this. I have no probs streaming and downloading to my pc / pda from firefox or opera (once signed in i can view all the files in that account and the usb storage hhds). I get occasionally pixalation when im recording tv at the same time as some packets are lost but over all it works very well. Im 90% sure it would work just as well on archos players with wifi if set up correctly. As this is a true NAS system all that has to be active is my router and drive.
roy
Snave
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Snave »

roylovelock wrote:ive got a Maxtor NAS drive (320gb) connected to the wireless router, and another 2 WD 500gb Ibooks connected to this. I have no probs streaming and downloading to my pc / pda from firefox or opera (once signed in i can view all the files in that account and the usb storage hhds). I get occasionally pixalation when im recording tv at the same time as some packets are lost but over all it works very well. Im 90% sure it would work just as well on archos players with wifi if set up correctly. As this is a true NAS system all that has to be active is my router and drive.
roy
May I ask what sort of connection you have? Download Speed? Upload Speed?

I want to do the same type of thing but I'm not sure if my broadband is fsat enough.
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

I have never had the need to stream over the net so havent tried it, but i can download though wireless connection and get around 1400kbs, i have an old buffallo airstation 54g. The speed of the connection allows me to stream TS. files which are massive and are uncompressed. BUT if the network is busy with say recording and internet surfing then it does occasionally freeze up a few secs. Watching divx and streaming mp3s is no problem at all no matter how much traffic is going though the router. You dont need to worry about your bb speed for a home network, you will still only be able to dl at the speed your isp provides, the network is ideal for moving around and storing massive amounts of data and to easaily access it from anywhere in the house. FYI i only subscribe to virgin 2mb.
roy
asprinwizard
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by asprinwizard »

That's a bit of a shock to hear!

I thought the SC101 would do the trick. I know it works with the Netgear EVA700 but I guess this is because it is designed to do so. I guess I just assumed it would work with all steam players.

Anyhow, is there any way to get this working with the Archos and without having to have the PC running? Would Network Magic do the trick? I read this link and it seems to suggest so: forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=3449&highlight=sc101. If so can anyone clarify this?

I also have one of these: www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=A24GL&DOY=6m8 which also install on a PC as a hard drive with specific drivers. However in the FAQ for this product it says the drive is NAS. Would I be right in thinking this will also not work with the Archos (incidentally I know it's a media player in itself but to be honest it's rubbish by comparison!).

If These drives are not NAS and there's no way to access from the Archos without the PC being on then I guess I will be looking at the Linksys NSLU2. So I'd also be interested in hearing about people's experiences of using this device. My setup consists of a Orange Broadband Livebox Router which will be in the same room as the Archos. Will the NSLU2 work well with this setup?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

NSLU2 will probably work. But I'm waiting for something better, cheaper and easier to use (not to have to reformat the NTFS IDE hard drives that I have).

Fonera 2.0 might be the solution for me, though it'd have to work with special customized usb-hub system, one that only powers on any of the 12 usb hard drives connected on this special usb hub when they are needed, and have them safely disconnected and turned off when they are not needed anymore. Cause having 12 usb hard drives turned on 24 hours a day would be a total waste of energy.

Really even though I am not expecting from a NAS for this purpose to have a powerfull enough processor to provide hugely fast transfers. Really the only bandwidth that is needed is 2mbit/s to stream out the native Mpeg4 video on Internet from a ftp or http server. Most probably that even those cheapest NAS solutions support much more than 2mbit/s, but they surely aren't fast enough to store and retrieve 100mbit/s full HD video or some other thing like backing up terrabytes of stuff and such, but that's not what is needed here.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

I found this nicely styled one for about 51 USD. Kuroutoshikous Disk Enclosures The Mac Minis Japanese Friends
asprinwizard
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by asprinwizard »

Hello again,

I have just read that the Orange Livebox has a usb host port which allows you to connect usb devices to it. This currently works with printers, but in theory it should allow you to mount usb hard drives and share then across the network. So it should work alongside the 605 WiFi, however the last I heard accessing attached devices was a tricky task, and users were waiting on a firmware upgrade from orange to get it working. I'm not sure if this has arrived yet.

I was therefore wondering if anybody had been able to get their 605 working with the Livebox in this way and if so how did they find it. I'd be most interested to know.

Cheers.
alpine
Archos User
Archos User

Post by alpine »

I can see and use my Linksys NSLU NAS across my network from my 605 via WiFi with no probs.
andybl1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by andybl1 »

I use Iomega 250gb NAS and a WD 500 gb my book attached to Iomega, both work fine, however, on my 500gb, i have cataloged tv serials by seasons. When i try to open a folder it does not let me.

e.g. I have all seasons of Smallville with directory "Smallville" and sub directories " season 1" and so on, a total of six seasons. I can browse up to Smallville and when i try to open season 1, Archos does not open it?

Does anyone have any idea why?
MarkT
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarkT »

There have been reports elsewhere about the maximum folder depth, just how deep are you at that point?
guiri
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by guiri »

I've got a ReadyNas NV+ from Infrant (now Netgear) and if you'd like, I can try when I get my unit to see if I can connect to it somehow. If anyone's interested I mean.

George
guiri
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by guiri »

By the way, I have a brand new NSLU if someone wants to buy it..never used. Bought at wally world
asprinwizard
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by asprinwizard »

guiri wrote:By the way, I have a brand new NSLU if someone wants to buy it..never used. Bought at wally world
How much are you selling it for?
guiri
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by guiri »

50 with shipping sounds good
gpvillamil
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by gpvillamil »

I have an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ and it works quite well with the 605 WiFi.

The Infrant box has a UPnP server built-in which catalogs and shares the designated media folder.

The 605 is able to find and browse the Infrant box, with only a couple of hiccups.

The first is that some video files won't play via UPnP streaming (they play fine copied to the 605) - the error message is something about illegal file type, and I suspect happens with files over 1GB in size.

The second is that external subtitles (.srt) are not recognized when streaming. (Once again, work fine as local copy)

Music is completely trouble-free, and so are photos.
guiri
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by guiri »

Sweet, how is your ReadyNas working otherwise?

I'm having problems but I don't think it's the NAS, I'm thinking it's my cheap USB to NIC adapters.

George

Return to “605 WiFi”