604 dvr station.

4GB, 30GB, 160GB...
pitcher23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

604 dvr station.

Post by pitcher23 »

Has anyone who owns a 605 tried out the 604 dvr station with it? I know someone else mentioned that it will dock, but I would like to know if everything works correctly and what the diiference between the 604 and 605 dvr stations are.

I just purchased a 605 through Mobileplanet and should get it by tomorrow, so if the 604 dvr station is fully compatible, then I will just run to a Bestbuy or something and pick it up.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

This has been somewhat answered in the mini review
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: 604 dvr station.

Post by honeymonkey »

pitcher23 wrote:Has anyone who owns a 605 tried out the 604 dvr station with it? I know someone else mentioned that it will dock, but I would like to know if everything works correctly and what the diiference between the 604 and 605 dvr stations are.

I just purchased a 605 through Mobileplanet and should get it by tomorrow, so if the 604 dvr station is fully compatible, then I will just run to a Bestbuy or something and pick it up.
Go buy one and let us know. Be aware that there are features that will not work on the 605 when you get the gen4 Station
pitcher23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pitcher23 »

suproach wrote:This has been somewhat answered in the mini review
Yeah I read that review, but it only mentioned that it docked, but didn't mention what kind of functionality it had.
pitcher23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pitcher23 »

honeymonkey wrote: Go buy one and let us know. Be aware that there are features that will not work on the 605 when you get the gen4 Station
I would rather not go out and spend around $100 if it is missing significant features. If someone already has a 604 station and a 605 pvp they may be able to tell me or anyone interested how functional it is and what features the gen5 station has that the gen4 doesn't without any financial risks to themselves.
Leveller
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Series 4 docking station functionality

Post by Leveller »

So far.....the only thing I've found that you can't do with the series 4 docking station and the 605 Wifi, is browse the internet via the TV with the remote. The docking station works OK but there doesn't appear to be a way of selecting anything on a webpages using a remote. I guess you could put some basic pages in the Favourites but you wouldn't be able to navigate anywhere esle. Same will probably go for the content portal...when they put anything onto it. Haven't tried the TV scheduler yet.

I'll probably stick with the series 4 station until I can pick up a docking station cheaper in the US.
pitcher23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pitcher23 »

Thanks. That is good to hear. I won't be using the web on my tv anyway and will use the docking station basically as a mini tivo and as long as it works as a fully functional dvr, that's all I need.
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Series 4 docking station functionality

Post by honeymonkey »

Leveller wrote:So far.....the only thing I've found that you can't do with the series 4 docking station and the 605 Wifi, is browse the internet via the TV with the remote. The docking station works OK but there doesn't appear to be a way of selecting anything on a webpages using a remote. I guess you could put some basic pages in the Favourites but you wouldn't be able to navigate anywhere esle. Same will probably go for the content portal...when they put anything onto it. Haven't tried the TV scheduler yet.

I'll probably stick with the series 4 station until I can pick up a docking station cheaper in the US.
There is a sort of work around for selecting pages. You can push some of the number keys and I forget which one, but it will allow you to tab around the page to links, then you just have to use the enter key to select the link. Not very user friendly, but it will work
thomasletouf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by thomasletouf »

what's a tivo?
pitcher23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pitcher23 »

thomasletouf wrote:what's a tivo?
Sorry. It's probably the most popular and user friendly consumer PVR box in the U.S. It has almost become the definition for PVR. You can find out more at www.tivo.com if you are curious. I have one, but I also prefer other types which is why I bought a 605.
thomasletouf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by thomasletouf »

Oh i see- as like Sky+ in the UK. Cheers for that definition, I've heard people mention 'tivo' before on american television programmes but never knew what it was!
nasi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nasi »

Tivo used to be in the UK as well. They pioneered the PVR years before Sky+ came along.

Unfortunately they pulled out of the UK market but the service still runs here and there are still a lot of Series 1 TIVOs around and being well-used in the UK.

The biggest shame is that TIVO has software features that are not present on any other PVR, certainly in this country. The fact that it could learn your viewing habits and tastes then selectively record shows that it knew you would want to watch, without you asking it to or even knowing that the show was on, puts it leagues ahead of Sky+ or V+.
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by honeymonkey »

pitcher23 wrote:
honeymonkey wrote: Go buy one and let us know. Be aware that there are features that will not work on the 605 when you get the gen4 Station
I would rather not go out and spend around $100 if it is missing significant features. If someone already has a 604 station and a 605 pvp they may be able to tell me or anyone interested how functional it is and what features the gen5 station has that the gen4 doesn't without any financial risks to themselves.
I was joking :)

The only other thing that would concern me other than websurfing is the ability for the gen4 DVR Station to display the higher resolution on the 605 when they introduce the HD plugin in September. I have not seen anything in the forums concerning this.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

pitcher23 wrote: You can find out more at www.tivo.com
you sound like a walking commercial lol
pitcher23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pitcher23 »

honeymonkey wrote: I was joking :)

The only other thing that would concern me other than websurfing is the ability for the gen4 DVR Station to display the higher resolution on the 605 when they introduce the HD plugin in September. I have not seen anything in the forums concerning this.
No fair joking without an emoticon. ;P

I think I will try out the 604 dvr station since I can pick one up at a Circuit City near me. I mainly plan on using it to record shows and watch it on the device itself and not on a television, so HD isn't that important at this time. I could always buy a 605 dvr station down the road if I change my mind.
pitcher23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pitcher23 »

suproach wrote: you sound like a walking commercial lol
Heh. I figured he could get more answers at the source than I could provide. ;)
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by honeymonkey »

pitcher23 wrote:
No fair joking without an emoticon. ;P

I find the joke has more impact without one lol.

If thats all you are concerned with, then you will probably be happy. You might however consider purchasing it from somewhere like walmart where you can return it a few months down the road if it turns out you want to change. One Hundred dollars seems to be pretty steep for a DVR gen 4 now. I was at samsclub and they have them devalued to around Forty dollars now and walmart has them for Seventy Three.

Let us all know what you think about the combination. There really has been nobody post that they have tested every feature out although I can't see why it wouldn't work.
I kinda knew the next gen would have a keyboard on the remote since I could see they were mapping some of the keys on the older gen4 remote to do other tasks. There just were not enough buttons. I actually like the older remote for watching tv as it is much smaller.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

Think about costco if you have a card or know some one that has one, they have a great return policy, especially if your stuff breaks.
pitcher23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pitcher23 »

After checking, CC is the only store around me that has it in store and not online only, so I will take convenience over cost. After a few days of testing I will let you know if I have any problems with it.
suproach
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by suproach »

my CC (86th st in BK) doesn't have it in.

Return to “605 WiFi”