Ebook

4GB, 30GB, 160GB...
Tommo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ebook

Post by Tommo »

I have been trying something out, as my local library now allows free ebook downloading. I successfully downloaded one and dragged it into my Archos. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to read the book through the Archos while it was connected to my PC, but I just can't find it when the Archos is in "portable" mode. Any ideas?
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Ebook

Post by eddie32818 »

Tommo wrote:I have been trying something out, as my local library now allows free ebook downloading. I successfully downloaded one and dragged it into my Archos. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to read the book through the Archos while it was connected to my PC, but I just can't find it when the Archos is in "portable" mode. Any ideas?
Thats neat, free ebooks at library...how do they copyright-protect the media? Do they expire after a certain date?

If download was initiated within Archos, then look in "Downloads" folder by clicking File manager in the home screen.

If you dragged and dropped the file, then you should connect your 605 and check the root directory while connected to PC. Then if still not found you can perform a "search" in Windows while the 605 is connected via USB in hard-drive mode (helps to know the title for the file search).
605wifi 160gb / 5it 500gb
Tommo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tommo »

Thanks for reply I am about to go to work so will try your suggestions tomorrow. The ebooks from the library last for 3 weeks and are then deleted automatically apparently, so there is no problem with "overdue" items. Not sure how they sort out the copyright aspect though. cheers, Tommo.
Tommo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tommo »

I have tried again and can now find the file in the downloads, but all that comes up is the message that the file type is not recognised. I have tried setting the Archos system to the various options, but with no luck. This is one of those situations where I want something to work, but I can't really see me reading a "book" on the small Archos screen anyway! Tommo.
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

Tommo wrote:I have tried again and can now find the file in the downloads, but all that comes up is the message that the file type is not recognised. I have tried setting the Archos system to the various options, but with no luck. This is one of those situations where I want something to work, but I can't really see me reading a "book" on the small Archos screen anyway! Tommo.
Aside from simple text, html and pdf files, the 605 won't recognize other formats. Even with pdf, you may encounter problems getting those to work if they are encrypted with advanced security measures or passwords.
605wifi 160gb / 5it 500gb

Return to “605 WiFi”