ARCHOS 605 WIFI

4GB, 30GB, 160GB...
0_0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ARCHOS 605 WIFI

Post by 0_0 »

Hi All,

*** Please bear with me if this post is being re-posted since I lost my patience for searching ***

Well I have picked-up an Archos 605 wifi at an local garage sale, and I have a movie on a sdcard and the same movie on the computer (VLC, WMP, ...) everything plays the movie fully till the end credits screens. but this (what ever one would like to name it) does load the movie and shows the movie length as 2h22'28" and when I select it shows the remaining time as 2:22:28 and starts counting down which looks great which makes you all excited and :D then the next very second you see it becomes 00:48:59....which makes you :evil: does anyone in the whole entire world have a clue what is $#@$in wrong with this (excuse me since I had say that to let my anger out since I have wasted my entire weekend on that and had my laptop crash due to a virus !!! .... all just becuase of this Junk ! )
Kodiak

Re: ARCHOS 605 WIFI

Post by Kodiak »

Have you tried other video. Maybe the file has an issue.
0_0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 0_0 »

Hi Kodiak,
Not to be mean but what exactly do you mean by another file! Do you mean another format of the same file or another file in the same format ?
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Yikes.

Do all your video files (I can't really explain it in more detail) do the same thing. Have they all been encoded the same way? So far you have talked about this one file having an issue. Have you tried to play other movie files and they all do the same thing? If other videos play without issue than the video file in question could have somthing with it that the Archos doesn't like.

One is not a big enough sample to help diagnose some issue with the 605. Even though the video file plays on a computer there are still so many other variables that there is no telling if the file has some issue or the 605.
0_0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 0_0 »

Hi Kodiak,
I have copied the demo movie on to my pc and looked at the encoding used in the movie. I have used the same encoding and it cannot read a movie which is bigger than 50 mins. That is what my take on it is. so to me it looks like a glitch in the firmware can you confirm please :?: and I have one of my friend with the same problem now I have 2 units to fix if it is a firmware problem.

Regards, :)
0_0.
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

I don't think this issue is firmware-related, as I haven't had this problem. (2+ years)

Since you can play the file in its entirety, on your PC, my guess is that it would most likely be an incompatibe movie format, that is causing your 605 to crash, after it runs almost half way through the film.

Did you encode this file yourself or was the file included in the 605 from the garage sale?

If you did Or if someone else did, please be aware that there could be problems (buggy as in a bad encode) in the software that was used, incompatible video/audo formats, or possibly even some sort of copyright protection scheme that can be at work here.

Please reply and let us know how it was enoded...
605wifi 160gb / 5it 500gb
0_0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 0_0 »

Hi Eddie,
Well let me make my concern simple to understand. I am using "formatfactory" a free encoding software. Since I have one unit of my friends to fix and mine also. so can you please suggest what format should I be using to play my DVD (ripped) movies. This is the procedure I used and correct me if I did something wrong.

1) Ripped my DVD using "DVD Decrypter" to VOB files.
2) Using the selected VOB files gave them as a input to "FormatFactory".
3) Did the following :
3A) First try :: Output File Format > "AVI" and for Video Encoding > "MPEG-2" and for Audio Encoding > "MP3"
3B) First try :: Output File Format > "AVI" and for Video Encoding > "MPEG-4" and for Audio Encoding > "MP3"

** NOTE :: The file is perfectly alright since it plays from starting with the 20th Century FOX Logo until the end credits. **

Neither 3A nor 3B worked, I mean it played but before selecting the movie it shows on the screen that the movie is 2'22"23 so I believe that it means 2 hours, 22 Mins., 23 Seconds. and when selected to play it shows that the movie length as 2'22'23 and starts decreasing and after exactly 3 seconds into play before the picture appears on the display the remaining length becomes 0'49"59 and starts decreasing. so I don't know what to do since I don't want to spend that 20 dollars for the other plugin if its not going to work. and my firmware is 2.1.0.4 I really don't know what to say or where to start from.

Email :: irental at go0gle mail d0t c0m

Thanks in advance and I highly appreciate if someone can assist me in resolving this issue.

Regards,
:)
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with FormatFactory.

It could be that your 605 is missing the archos Cinema (for VOB/Mpeg-2 playback) or Podcast (for H264 playback) plugins?

In my limited experience with encoding my own DVDs, I can say that for movies that will play "out of the box" , you can try using the AVI container with the DivX or XviD for video codec AND the MP3 audio, as long as you don't make the resolution so big. Also, most of my encoded files are in the 700 - 900 Mb range, with very, very few in the 1.5 Mb range.

For example, I use Handbrake (freeware), with the "Ipod High-Rez" preset to encode a movie with video enoder: XviD, audio: MP3, file container: AVI, and will use the default resolution: 640 x 272.
(which will yield a typically large file size, only because I like to sometimes be able to ouput the file to big plasma screen tv)

You can get Handbrake here:
http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

I've also used FairUseWizard with some good results, providing you keep the encoded file under 700MB (contraint for the freeware version) and here is a good turorial, here:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... se+dummies

Don't get too discouraged, I myself ran through several trials and tribulations, trying to find a good method for video encodes and I had many failed attempts in the beginning. If I ever get around to upgrading to a faster computer, I might invest in one of the paid software combinations such as PocketDVDstudio and AnyDVD (instead of DVDdecrypter). Part of the PocketDVDstudio ad that got my attention says:

"300% faster speed than any other products with better video quality! Easy to use, designed for dummies"
(LOL 8) )

I hope this was helpful.
0_0
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 0_0 »

Hi Eddie,
Thanks for a Quick Reply. The example given I have tried the mentioned software and it is clearly specified that they have dropped supporting AVI container since 2005. So where would I find a patch to add-in that container and same thing with the xvid for the video encoding (Both of the protocols have been dropped. and if you have a installable version of the handbrake which has that containers and the video and audio codec in it that would be nice of you to share it as the matter of fact. I think formatfactory is the software which is free and which can encode in AVI which I have found by reading some forums which have a partial link in this website or some another which I don't recollect.

Thanks.

0_0.
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

Yes, the new version dropped AVI, but you can still get the older versions of Handbrake that still use AVI container, such as version 0.9.2 here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_handbrake/

click right below where is says "Old Versions". If you install it, you will only see the AVI extention in the "drop-down" box, where you browse to save the output file as "XXXXXX.AVI."

By the way, I was just helping out another and this info might be helpful to you:

I would recommend using the "Converting via FairUse Wizard: A Tour for Dummies Like Me" from the 605 forum on how to encode DVD's:

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8348

To encode existing video files (software that will scale down a video file for the Archos):
http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/EN_index.htm

Good luck!

Return to “605 WiFi”