Firmware 2.1.04 bugs

4GB, 30GB, 160GB...
roylovelock

Firmware 2.1.04 bugs

Post by roylovelock »

Hi peeps, i know there is a bug area, but i thought i would post this up to hopefully draw attention to archos with the shortcommings of the current firmware. i will add what ive found wrong with the player since this firmware was introduced - please add your own problems as well. please dont put up about low audio, flac support ogg support etc, just BUGS. anything off this topic will be deleted as im just trying to get archos to fix the faults, if you start saying stuff off topic they will probo ignore the posts and this may result in no fixes being issued.
Only post if you have found faults on firmware version 2.1.04 none others please as this is the latest "safe" firmware.
i would also like to point out my player is the 4gb flash, but others with hhd versions also please post and agree/ disagree with others findings please.
here we go.

1. suspend mode error, my player will regually crash if put into suspend mode, the power light will remain on draining the battery as if the screen was on. this fault is a constant bug bear for me personally as i now find i have to completly shut the player off at all times now.

2. sdcard errors (i think this is more to do with the above bug), but ive been finding since the last firmware release i often get card errors. there is nothing wrong with the cards and 99% of the time its fixed with a complete power cycle.

3. battery dock. this again seems to be from suspend mode bug. when i connect the battery dock to my player (or my dads hhd player) the charge light dosent come on and the battery life isnt extended. ive found this bug occurs when the player has come off charge using either the usb, dvr dock or the battery dock its self. this again is fixed with yet another power cycle.

4. safe eject sdcard not very effective on either my 605 or 405. a couple of times now ive had cards become corrupt when using the archos safely remove feature. the syptoms ive found is that the files written to the card will not delete on the player and become progressively slower to read. this then requires windows scan disk to do its thing - this isnt much use when your away from your computer ie on an aeroplane. the only workaround ive found garentee the cards are not corrupted is to yet again completely shut down the unit and remove the card then.

5. not so much a player problem but an archos problem (or one of the partners). i bought out right a movie on the archos media club. i downloaded it directly to my 605 then decided i wanted to put it onto my 405 (i owned the file not rented). i couldnt redownload the file to my computer to sync up to the 405 or my 604. it would only play on my 605 thats it (i can re download the file only to my 605). ive contacted archos over this no less then 6 times and yet to recieve any reply. ive since found out you can insted directly download them to your computer and sync them from there, but once its been downloaded directly to your player its locked.

thats all i can think of atm, i will add more as an when i find them
roy
COYI
jfowl31
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Firmware 2.1.04 bugs

Post by jfowl31 »

My player locks up after a few minutes of browsing the web with the new firmware. Typically, I can get online and "run my errands" pretty quickly, but if I stay on for more than 5 minutes or so, it locks up and I have to shut it off completely and reboot to resolve it.

I couldn't find any quick links to others having the same problem, but I've read about them over the last month or 2.

Other than that, things seem to be working well on my 80 gig.
soapboxderby
Archos User
Archos User

Post by soapboxderby »

I wondered why when I shut off, sometimes I get the light still on, but blank screen even when i tap it.

I get also when in charge mode, it wants to keep the lcd screen lit and on the whole time. not sure why.

As i also mentioned, when using helmet cam, when start recording, after a few seconds the screen goes bank way to fast. Yes I have regular settings set for a much longer time than what is happening.

And I also mentioned, when using the helmet can on/off buttons on the cam, the archos will start playing the video when recording is stopped. also try to stop video, the touch screen is disabled with thew cam plugged in, cam buttons do nto resolve issue. so i have to unplugg cam docking station and then use lcd touch screen.

also 4gb same firmware as you mentioned.
Hubbard
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Hubbard »

when using the web browser some sites will load but the page will just be black, when I press reload the actual page will flash and then go black again. When this happens if I go to "zoom" then "fit width" in the menu it'll get the page to show up, but the thing is I never zoomed to begin with. Not that big of a deal because there's an easy work around, but it would be nice for it to get fixed.
divx118
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by divx118 »

30Gb 605 wifi

1) When using the sound class in flash and reading local mp3 it only buffers the first few seconds (depending on the filesize)
and then stops playing. This has become an issue in the latest 2 firmwares (2.0.10 and 2.1.04) with the new flash version.
I had contact (june 2008) with nz from archos staff about this and send him the files he needed to try it out, but since then nothing.
2)
when using the web browser some sites will load but the page will just be black, when I press reload the actual page will flash and then go black again. When this happens if I go to "zoom" then "fit width" in the menu it'll get the page to show up, but the thing is I never zoomed to begin with. Not that big of a deal because there's an easy work around, but it would be nice for it to get fixed.

I can confirm this it is an old bug I had it since the 1.7.06

@roylovelock

Thanks for opening this thread. I hope you will update youre first post with confirmed bugs in this thread and not like the other bug thread which is cluthered with alot of user errors and not firmware bugs. Also there is no overview of the bugs so that thread is pretty useless.

Maurice 8)
bioman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bioman »

All music older than 1970 is grouped under 1970. Something seems to be wrong with the year-option anyway, since searching music by year is e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y slow.
warris
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by warris »

Not sure if this is a universal bug but the recording sound level in the audio recorder refuses to work, making it impossible to adjust, luckily its fixed at a reasonable level.

I have also had the suspend problem with the light remaining on, as well as the lcd light refusing to go out after the set period.

Music later than 1970 and the extremely slow indexing by date.

AND the "reminder" about the TVTV epg having only 3 months to go! appearing every time I record TV. 3 months is a bit steep for a reminder, a week would have been more than enough. By the way anyone know HOW to renew it, the link on the Archos site doesn't work and there is no mention of Archos on the TVTV site.
foxblock
Archos User
Archos User

Post by foxblock »

bioman wrote:All music older than 1970 is grouped under 1970.

the "date" command used (also used in other Linux os and PHP for example) returns an integer and has it zero-point at the 1.1.1970, so the archos os does not seem to read/evaluate the "negative" dates properly (everthing before 1970) thus grouping everything older under 1970, too.
bioman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bioman »

foxblock wrote:
bioman wrote:All music older than 1970 is grouped under 1970.

the "date" command used (also used in other Linux os and PHP for example) returns an integer and has it zero-point at the 1.1.1970, so the archos os does not seem to read/evaluate the "negative" dates properly (everthing before 1970) thus grouping everything older under 1970, too.

This was explained to me before but I still consider it a bug. Archos claims that our music is searchable by year, while the indexing of the MP3-files is obviously not done correctly.

Anyway, I don't see why the years should be read as dates: why can the 605 not read them as numbers?
jack.wh
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jack.wh »

The bugs I got, on my 605 4GB:

• Permanently on: LED staying on when put to standby
  • Broken tabs: When changing tabs on the web browser, sometimes a big black bar is covering the bottom half of the screen that won't disappear unless I reload the tab
  • LCD Screen backlight timings are inaccurate - mine has settings and all for switching off after 30 seconds, which it does fine, but not after 60... also, the backlight always stays on when charging even though my settings are correct. The only way it turns off is by suspending the unit whilst charging
  • Browser page jumping: sometimes when scrolling upwards in the browser it can make the page suddenly jump right to the bottom, especially when scrolling at speed. This sure is a pain on long pages when you have to spend hours scrolling back up to the top

Oh, and how could I forget? The infamous Unknown Playlist bug! Mwah ha ha ha! :badgrin:

Well, thats mine - Archos, I hope you're reading!

Jack :)

EDIT: Issues possibly related to just my player:

• Many codec errors: When trying to play DivX it gets about a third of the way through the vid then starts stuttering to the point of being unwatchable. Whereas these exact same video files play just fine on my computer. I can understand the 605 isn't going to have the latest DivX version but perhaps this could be fixed? All the encoding settings should work on the 605 according to the manual and threads on this board.Also when playing some H264 with the podcast plugin it starts the audio about 5 seconds later than the video, so its horribly out of sync, a problem I don't find on my PC.
Last edited by jack.wh on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
605 WiFi
jfowl31
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jfowl31 »

Jack, those sounds more like issues with your player than the firmware.

My player plays every single divx file I throw at it and has never stuttered once for instance. Same with podcasts.

That compiled with the other issues would be enough to RMA the device and see if there is a deeper issue with the player. Just my opinion though, but it seems to me in order for something to be a firmware bug, it needs to be relatively universal to all 605 owners with this firmware.
jack.wh
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jack.wh »

Ok... Well, I'll edit my post, maybe make a thread at the forum asking for some help with my specific issues. Thanks.

:)
605 WiFi
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

yep that is purely down to badly encoded avi files, pocket divx encoder will fix this.

i will let this run for a bit and then colaborate all the findings in the first post. please please keep posting your problems with the firmware even if they have been mentioned in another post, the more the better.
roy
COYI
IanJohnston
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by IanJohnston »

Hi all,

2.1.04 bug No.1:-
When viewing the video recorder when you first go into it you cannot hide all the buttons, menus, icons etc. You have to click on settings then immediately come out of it (without doing anything) and there the hide button (as well as the rec button) are visible on the right hand side.

2.1.04 bug No.2:-
When viewing live video via the video recorder from a trusted AV source, the video lags the audio. I know it's probably due to the extra processing required to display video, but I would have thought they could buffer the audio in order to lag it the same amount thus bring it back into sync.

Ian.
jack.wh
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jack.wh »

Iv added another bug to my original post (browser page jumping). Am i the only one who has this happening to? Or has anyone else encountered this?
605 WiFi
warris
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by warris »

I get the browser jumping to the bottom too as well as the constant zooming to maximum ~ both irritating.
dfdream
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dfdream »

All,

I am new to this forum.
I have upgraded to ver 2.1.04 recently.
I now think that I might have a problem with playback of MPEG2 and avis on wifi.
They worked perfectly before at some distance from the access point but now even freeze feet from the access point.
Was there any change to this version from 1.7.06.

The files play fine from laptop on wifi.

Is there a way to view the wifi data on the archos while playing back video.

Playback on wifi with old version of the firmware was very smooth and no stops.

D
.:HairAsea:.
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by .:HairAsea:. »

I can also confirm the "power light stays on after suspending" bug on my 4gb. Happens about a third of the time. :(
inubani
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by inubani »

I had mine for now about a month and the only bug I've seen so far is that sometimes the backlight does not turn off after the 30 sec when listening to music.

The only way to have it turn off is to do a complete shut down and power back on, and then the light goes off after 30 sec.
A605 / 30GB
warris
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by warris »

The other bug I have found is the epg not updating correctly - see my post
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16682

Return to “605 WiFi”