Hold the press... an even newer problem.

7" 800x480
Missionsparta

Hold the press... an even newer problem.

Post by Missionsparta »

Believe it or not, I am now experiencing an even newer problem.

It has only occured twice , but both times in the past 4 days. The unit was in the DVR docking station both times. Both times the unit was set to record a program with the "schedulerer". The unit began recording both programs properly, but the units COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN before the recording was done. By this, I mean, that when I came home to get the units, they were sitting in the DVR docking station (which still was on with power to it), and the units where completely off. When I checked the programs, both where about 3/4 of the way through the 1 hours shows when it occured (probably just a coicidence on this part). Anyone else having this occur?
Bainsyboy
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Bainsyboy »

it might be the old battery recharging problem, mine will sometimes just stop recording and im guessing it stops recording when the green charging light starts flashing, so i normally record with a fully charged battery. If i was you mission i think i would get my money back on your lemon as its not fit for purpose
LUV-ARK-KOS
warris
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

charging problems

Post by warris »

Personally I think this is the main problem you have been having with recordings stopping early. It would seem that when the unit switches over to a fully charged battery, if at that time it is accessing the HD then the power consumption is high and the charge is dropped from the docking station and the unit continues on battery power. You cant record on battery so recording stops. It should be a fairly easy software adjustment to increase the tollerance of the unit on switch over.

I have had this problem and so from the sound of it has Bainsyboy. If you put a fully charged battery on charge again it will probably start to flash around the 30 min mark which is when your recordings normally stop. Try a long recording with a fully charged (green light flashing) or discharged battery.
Missionsparta

Post by Missionsparta »

I vote for Warris as head tech in charge at Archos. If what you said is right, and you were able to figure it out just by reading what was posted on here; and Archos still hasnt figured it out 8 months later... well that just tells you the sad state of this company. Good job, if you are right, Warris.

P.S. I have also heard that you cant record on battery power also, but if you record with the mobile DVR addon, instead of the standard DVR docking station, you can record without any AC adaptor or external power.
Bainsyboy
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Bainsyboy »

Missionsparta wrote:I vote for Warris as head tech in charge at Archos. If what you said is right, and you were able to figure it out just by reading what was posted on here; and Archos still hasnt figured it out 8 months later... well that just tells you the sad state of this company. Good job, if you are right, Warris.

P.S. I have also heard that you cant record on battery power also, but if you record with the mobile DVR addon, instead of the standard DVR docking station, you can record without any AC adaptor or external power.

I dont even get a mention :cry: ( someone else mentioned this as well though the other day and i just went :idea: hmmmmm that does sound plausible ) As for archos and firmware or lack of them for this puppy its the main reason I reckon the 704 will be my last archos product, reading this forum you can see the 704 has bugs but still no firmware upgrade
LUV-ARK-KOS
warris
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by warris »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mission, but I reckon I will leave angry Archos customers to someone else! Bainsyboy over to you! I dont want you to feel left out :D

Of course I may be totally wrong about it all. If archos fix it then I think they need to buy us all a beer or two. I may even throw in a pasty :lol:
Andy W
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Andy W »

Very interesting thread you guys! How about one of you with a 704wifi testing it scientifically (well I would say that as I'm supposed to be one 8) ) and trying to record a long programme with a fully charged battery and then repeating the exercise with a half depleted one? (actually doing it in the opposite order might be quicker/easier.)

I agree, if you guys worked this out then it puts Archos Techs too shame...personally I just think the're overworked due to poor strategic planning by Archos. Archos should have 2-3 units in the market and do them so well that the competition don't get a look-in, not loads of different variants/versions/generations all with there own software glitches to fix....
Andy W
warris
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by warris »

I have to a point Andy, and it seems to be the problem, at least on mine. Whether Archos can fix it if it is the cause I don't know, but meanwhile at least there seems to be a workaround. Use a flat battery!

Testing it scientifically is a bit more difficult as it only seems to happen when the software switches over to "fully charged" and at the exact same moment the HD is being accessed, which probably explains why it doesn't seem to happen on the smaller bit rate recordings (less HD activity). It would be interesting if everyone out there with a 704 tried it out and posted comments.
CBers
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CBers »

warris wrote:I have to a point Andy, and it seems to be the problem, at least on mine. Whether Archos can fix it if it is the cause I don't know, but meanwhile at least there seems to be a workaround. Use a flat battery!

I always record on a fully-charged battery via the DVR and don't seem to have any problems.

Recorded 1h 40m film yesterday direct from Sky and it worked a treat.

It created the AV2 file, buy hey, I can live with that.
Bainsyboy
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Bainsyboy »

Andy im not a angry archos customer, a peed off one more like. The annoying thing is these problems seem to being swept under the carpet, also the new units being released every five minutes doesnt help, imagine if you bought the latest car out by a manafacture only to find that the new model isnt really the new model as theres a new one out 4 to 5 months down the line, saying that though whoever decided to give the 705 a internal battery needs a kick up the arsenal as it renders the unit useless on long haul flights plus archos loose out on customers purchasing spare batteries
LUV-ARK-KOS
warris
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by warris »

Ah yes Bainsyboy, but if it has an internal battery in apx 2 yrs when the battery dies you have to buy a whole new unit! - they are not stupid those marketing people at Archos, they have taken a leaf out of Apples book. Ipods have internal batteries.

Back to the thread, Thanks CBers for confirming the charging theory, your experience is exactly the same as mine.
Bainsyboy
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Bainsyboy »

Good point Warris, whats the battery life though for watching vids on it, if its only say 3 hours then I cant see many long haul flyers buying it, I hope that all future units dont have internal batteries otherwise the 704 will definately be my last unit from archos
LUV-ARK-KOS
warris
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by warris »

Not too sure on the ipod battery life Bainsyboy, but its probably fairly long as it only has a tiny, tiny, tiny, screen compared to the Archos. (:lol: he he he)

What gets my goat is that we are all being encouraged to waste less and go green - but it doesn't apply to manufacturers building in obsolescence to products.

Back to the thread - anyone else had the battery charging problem and conducted the experiment mentioned earlier in this thread?
Bainsyboy
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Bainsyboy »

I meant on the 705 :roll:
LUV-ARK-KOS

Return to “704 WiFi and 704 TV”