404 reboots due to "bad spots on HDD"?

rhaf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

404 reboots due to "bad spots on HDD"?

Post by rhaf »

Hi Folks,

I'm new here so hope you can help.

My 404 is showing the problem that when I copy new data to it, at a certain point the unit eiter hangs or does a reboot.

Took all my data off and cleared the cach.

Didi a defrag..no problem. Tried a HDD scan under XP....404 rebooted after 5min or so.

Booted the 404 into recovery mode and clicked "harddisk repair"...didn't see much happen.
Problem did not go away.

Am now thinking of doing a reboot and a format of the hdd.

Problem is I bought a VOB plugin from ARchos, will I lose this or can I try to back those files up?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards.
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: 404 reboots due to "bad spots on HDD"?

Post by Spz0 »

I had a 404 and it fried because of a similar problem.
Your hard disk is failing. Flat out. You can salvage what sectors are good by running an indepth scandisk. "Scan for and Attempt recovery of bad sectors" should be checked. This will take a long time to do, but if you want to save whats left of the drive, then its a must.
This is caused by dropping the disk, brown outs or power surges. Excessive wear as well. The disk tends to fail quite quickly, so I would hop on this asap.
www.openAOS.org
rhaf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rhaf »

Hi there,

How can I best perform this disk test? The Archos built in option do not provide this method as far as i can tell.

When I connect to a pc I can only perform limited tests as I have to connect the 404 via usb.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

connect your 404 to your PC.
enable USB Hard Drive on the 404.
Open My Computer
Right click your archos drive and choose "Properties"
In the properties menu, goto the "tools" tab.
in the Tools tab under "Error Checking, click "Check Now".
A scandisk box will pop up -- make sure the both check boxes labeled "Automatically fix File system errors" AND " Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" are CHECKED.
Click "Start"

The check and repair will take a long time, due to the fact that your archos is a USB drive, thus limited in its transfer rate to the max. rate of the USB cable. Just be patient and let it work.

Good Luck. :)
www.openAOS.org
rhaf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rhaf »

Unfortunately that only works partially.

The test goes on for some time and then windows comes back saying that the connection has been lost with the 404!?

I tried several times, no luck.

Do you know any manufacturer or sales portal were I could buy an adapter with which I could connect the archos hd directly to the IDE or sata connector on the motherboard?

Regards and thanks for your help!
Spz0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Spz0 »

In regards to the dos window scandisk:
if it is still unsuccessful, try typing "chkdsk/F/X/R Z:" (with "Z" being your archos drive letter)
Remember that there is a space between the "R" and "Z"

What the "X" parameter does is forces the drive to unmount before it checks it (which could be the problem if it doesn't run successfully).

Good Luck.
www.openAOS.org

Return to “404 and 404cc”