Can I put DVD Movies I own onto the Wifi w DVR Station?

wifinoob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can I put DVD Movies I own onto the Wifi w DVR Station?

Post by wifinoob »

Does the DVR Station just basically record what is on the screen of your television when hooked up? Will I be able to transfer DVD's / VHS to my wifi unit?
avbbva
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DVD/VCR combo

Post by avbbva »

I bought one of these units, DVD/VCR combo (the VCR is used to record TV shows) and connected it to the docking station. Recording from DVD will only allow to playback on the 604 (due to macrovision protection) and not to a TV.
Akumulator
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Akumulator »

You can always rip your dvds on your computer and transfer them via usb.
Dignan17
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Dignan17 »

Akumulator wrote:You can always rip your dvds on your computer and transfer them via usb.
Agreed. [Can be] Much easier, [can be] much faster, and you can output to TV.

I'm using the DVDShrink method to get a single VOB, and all totalled I think it takes about 45 minutes. There are other benefits like keeping the multi-channel audio, and having a digital recording versus an analog one. I bought the DVR station, but I don't think I'll even use any of the inputs. I'm just using it to output to a TV.
wifinoob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wifinoob »

Dignan17 wrote:
Akumulator wrote:You can always rip your dvds on your computer and transfer them via usb.

I'm using the DVDShrink method to get a single VOB, and all totalled I think it takes about 45 minutes. There are other benefits like keeping the multi-channel audio, and having a digital recording versus an analog one. I bought the DVR station, but I don't think I'll even use any of the inputs. I'm just using it to output to a TV.
How or where do I get the DVDShrink software? Can I use it just to get a chapter or 2 instead of the whole DVD...For instance, I was thinking of putting a lot of my favorite scenes on my wifi, but not the whole movie...like maybe just the battle scenes of Gladiator or Braveheart...
Also...what does VOB stand for?

Thanks, Bruce
smallman28
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by smallman28 »

wifinoob wrote:
Dignan17 wrote:

How or where do I get the DVDShrink software? Can I use it just to get a chapter or 2 instead of the whole DVD...For instance, I was thinking of putting a lot of my favorite scenes on my wifi, but not the whole movie...like maybe just the battle scenes of Gladiator or Braveheart...
Also...what does VOB stand for?

Thanks, Bruce
Do a search on Google for DVD Shrink.
With DVD Shrink you can copy individual chapters or just a few seconds to minutes worth.
I have recorded MTV for hours on my DVD recorder then stuck the disc in my laptop and used DVD shrink to pluck out one music video in particular.
VOB stands for DVD Video Object
Dignan17
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Dignan17 »

Be aware that in order to play VOB files on your WiFi, you must have the Cinema plugin installed.
wifinoob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wifinoob »

Do I get the cinema plugin from the web also? Is there more then one version, if so what am I looking for?

Thanks, Bruce
smallman28
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by smallman28 »

wifinoob wrote:Do I get the cinema plugin from the web also? Is there more then one version, if so what am I looking for?

Thanks, Bruce
Theres only the one,just make sure you get the CINEMA PLUG-IN not the Video Podcast plug-in.
Buckwheat
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Buckwheat »

The Cinema plugin is a $20 purchase item from Archos website.

You can also google iriverter and that does a pretty good job of converting your DVDs to avi files, then you can just drag and drop to your archos when it is in hard drive mode.

Once the DVDs are converted it only takes about 2 minutes to drag and drop them. The conversion will take about 55 minutes for a 2+ hour movie.
wifinoob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wifinoob »

Okay, more questions :)

Is the Iriverter free and do I need the Cinema plug in to play the avi files???

Will I need any additional plug ins to play the tv I record from my DVR station once I get it working or should I be good to go on that??

Is the cinema plug in worth the $20?

Bruce
Mojorisin69
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

yes the cinema plug in is worth it

Post by Mojorisin69 »

I highly recommend the cinema pack plugin. Also a very good website for all your video need is www.doom9.org. If you have a different file format you want to convert so that you can play it on your archos I use alo video converter also you are going to want to download multiple codec I replied to a similiar forum question about this already. You can use dvd shrink or dvd decrypter to get VOB format which works with the cinema plugin. Here is the forum question that was answered before.

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=1049
Buckwheat
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Buckwheat »

wifinoob wrote:Okay, more questions :)

Is the Iriverter free and do I need the Cinema plug in to play the avi files???

Will I need any additional plug ins to play the tv I record from my DVR station once I get it working or should I be good to go on that??

Is the cinema plug in worth the $20?

Bruce
Iriverter is a free download, have not bought the plugin yet, so I can't speak to that.
wifinoob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wifinoob »

Is the cinema plug in out yet? When I went to the site it said that it was coming soon? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Bruce
richlin71
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ripping dvds on a mac

Post by richlin71 »

for mac users: a great free, one-click DVD rip & convert to avi app is HandBrake.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117
angelm713
Archos User
Archos User

Post by angelm713 »

Hmmm. I'm showing it there ok. I'm set for United States.

Here is a link that works for me showing "Buy Now"

http://www.archos.com/products/video/ar ... us&lang=en
wifinoob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wifinoob »

When I click on the "buy Now" link that's when it says it is coming soon...
angelm713
Archos User
Archos User

Post by angelm713 »

Okay. Try this link from shoparchos.com.

http://www.shoparchos.com/searchresults ... ture=en-US

If that doesn't work, then go directly to shoparchos.com and browse your way to it. I just purchased plug-ins from there 2 days ago.

Return to “604 WiFi”