Can the DVR Station output a 16:9 signal?

SX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can the DVR Station output a 16:9 signal?

Post by SX »

I have the 504 and am trying to get it to output a 16:9 signal to my tv (480p/1080i CRT, NTSC). Right now, I only have the Travel Adapter (and, therefore, can only use the composite cables through the headphone jack, which obviously cannot do this). The picture is always skewed.

I found this older thread, where people have experienced the exact same problem that I am having:

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=2906

The original poster stated that he had tried the component cables without any luck, but some of the later posts hinted a little that it was the composite cables causing the problems. But they never actually stated whether the Archos is capable of this kind of output. I'll gladly buy the DVR Station if it can pull this off, but if it doesn't, then it's kind of a waste from my standpoint.

Has anyone had any success with outputting a 16:9 signal to a 16:9 HDTV without the picture being thrown off? Thanks!
RK
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by RK »

I had this problem too, I made a thread with pictures in March:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?p=18131

but I was never able to get it fixed, it could never show 16:9 files on my LCD in 16:9, there were always black lines on the top and bottom no matter what setting it was in. It just didn't fill in the whole screen unless I was in photo mode. But it works perfect on 4:3 TVs.
on my 605
SX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by SX »

Hmm. Well the person that had originally responded to you was setting his up using a widescreen setting (which is only available in PAL). Could this be an NTSC problem? My NTSC settings only have 4:3 and 16:9, while the PAL settings also have a widescreen mode. Weird. Does anyone have any insight into this?

So, you've run the component cables into your tv from the 504 DVR Station, and still can't get the display to show up correctly? Wow, I guess I'm not going to be springing for the DVR Station, if that's the case. I can't believe that the Archos can't do this (even my 8 year old DVD player can pull off the ratio fine), is there something that we NTSC people are missing?
GminiOG402
Archos User
Archos User

Post by GminiOG402 »

SX wrote:Hmm. Well the person that had originally responded to you was setting his up using a widescreen setting (which is only available in PAL). Could this be an NTSC problem? My NTSC settings only have 4:3 and 16:9, while the PAL settings also have a widescreen mode. Weird. Does anyone have any insight into this?

So, you've run the component cables into your tv from the 504 DVR Station, and still can't get the display to show up correctly? Wow, I guess I'm not going to be springing for the DVR Station, if that's the case. I can't believe that the Archos can't do this (even my 8 year old DVD player can pull off the ratio fine), is there something that we NTSC people are missing?
I have no problem, ino what these peoples problem is, looks fantastic for me. S video is also amazing if you just have a normal tv.
SX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by SX »

GminiOG402 wrote:
SX wrote:Hmm. Well the person that had originally responded to you was setting his up using a widescreen setting (which is only available in PAL). Could this be an NTSC problem? My NTSC settings only have 4:3 and 16:9, while the PAL settings also have a widescreen mode. Weird. Does anyone have any insight into this?

I have no problem, ino what these peoples problem is, looks fantastic for me. S video is also amazing if you just have a normal tv.
Are you using a widescreen (16:9) tv and the NTSC settings? If you are, then I'm curious exactly how you have set this up if it looks right. There have been a number of people who have had this same problem that I am having, and if someone has figured it out, then I'm sure we'd all like to know.

What kind of tv do you have?
Are you using the DVR Station or the headphone jack?
What kind of cables are you using to connect?
Under the Display Settings, are you outputting using PAL or NTSC?
Are you then outputting the aspect ratio (also in the Display Settings) in 4:3, 16:9, or widescreen?

Again, I'm trying to decide if buying the DVR Station actually fixes my problem. From what I've read here, it won't. Please let me know what setting you're using so that I can determine if the DVR Station will help me (don't want to waste $70+). Thanks!
N9Waterboy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by N9Waterboy »

I never had this problem before. One day my archos 504 and DVR fell off the top of my TV and now I am having the exact same problem as everyone else.
N9Waterboy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by N9Waterboy »

I thought it might have been the DVR but I tried using a 3.5mm to RCA connection to my TV and I get the same result so something is wrong with the Archos. I tried resetting it in back but no dice. Can anybody figure out what's wrong? I doubt it's just b/c mine fell b/c others are having the same problem.
mosc007
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mosc007 »

Exactly the same problem here with PAL and Widescreen output. The Picture is shifted right on the screen.

Charles

Return to “604 and 504”