Travel Adapter - Power Supply

kepstein
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Travel Adapter - Power Supply

Post by kepstein »

I have the Travel Adapter for the 504. There is an optional Power Supply available from Archos. Does anyone know the voltage/amperage rating of this optional DC power supply? If you own one, could you just reply with what it says on the power supply (it will probably say something like "5.5V~300mA")

Also, there is a tiny rectangular shaped port on the side of the travel adapter (in addition to the ports to connect the AV cable and the power supply). Does anyone know what this is for?

I've written to archos tech support and they haven't responded.

Keith
RotJ
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by RotJ »

Specs for the Docking Adapter says ARCHOS power supply 5.2V- 2A.

Don't know what that rectangular port next to the AV jack is for.
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Travel Adapter - Power Supply

Post by honeymonkey »

kepstein wrote:I have the Travel Adapter for the 504. There is an optional Power Supply available from Archos. Does anyone know the voltage/amperage rating of this optional DC power supply? If you own one, could you just reply with what it says on the power supply (it will probably say something like "5.5V~300mA")

Also, there is a tiny rectangular shaped port on the side of the travel adapter (in addition to the ports to connect the AV cable and the power supply). Does anyone know what this is for?

I've written to archos tech support and they haven't responded.

Keith
Mine says 5.2Volt 2000mA. The other ports are for connecting to your computer, and to connect to another player or camera.
- USB device (miniB connector),
- USB host (A connector),
Last edited by honeymonkey on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RotJ
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Travel Adapter - Power Supply

Post by RotJ »

honeymonkey wrote:Mine says 5.2Volt 2000mA. The other ports are for connecting to your computer, and to connect to another player or camera.
- USB device (miniB connector),
- USB host (A connector),
I think he's talking about the DVR Travel Adapter, not the Docking Adapter. You can see the rectangular port in the instruction sheet in the connections section.
Last edited by RotJ on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
kepstein
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kepstein »

RotJ is correct. I'm talking asking about the DVR Travel Adapter. The power port on the right side of the adapter is labeled "DC IN" -- on the left side, there is a AV jack and a small unlabeled rectangular female port that does not correspond to any USB or Firewire connector I can find. There is nothing about it in the documentation that I can find.
RotJ
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by RotJ »

I remembered that I bought a 4-port USB hub and card reader for around $10 a while ago that included a AC adapter. I checked the adapter, and sure enough, it's rated 5V, 2.5A. Plugged it into my DVR Travel Adapter, and it started charging.

No need for me to purchase the Docking Adapter anymore.
kepstein
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kepstein »

That's why I'm asking. I have a box full of ac adapters with the right size plugs ranging from 9V ~ 2A to 6V ~ 300mA. I just want to use the right one so that I don't risk burning up my battery.

So . . . if anyone owns the optional AC Adapter that is sold for use with the DVR travel adapter, could you post the Voltage/Amperage rating please?

Keith
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by honeymonkey »

kepstein wrote:That's why I'm asking. I have a box full of ac adapters with the right size plugs ranging from 9V ~ 2A to 6V ~ 300mA. I just want to use the right one so that I don't risk burning up my battery.

So . . . if anyone owns the optional AC Adapter that is sold for use with the DVR travel adapter, could you post the Voltage/Amperage rating please?

Keith
Thats why I posted the specs for the DVR Adapter. I'm sure they are the same. Just make sure you get the polarity correct. The center post is Positive on the DVR Adapter. Check for the proper polarity on the Travel Adapter. There should be a little picture silk screened on the bottom side if it is anything like the DVR Adapter.

Its the voltage you really have to worry about. USB chargers are typically in the 5 volt range. If you are really concerned, and nobody replies, just call Archos customer support and check with them.
kepstein
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kepstein »

Archos technical support responded via email today:

Here is the output voltage and current of the power supply.

Voltage: 5.2V
Current: 2A

Thank you,
Tim S
Archos Technical Support
dr150
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dr150 »

I use my Sony PSP power brick to recharge my 504 thru the dock.

It's 5v/2A. It powers my battery a lot faster than the USB port.

Most people have power supplies around the house that could do the job and emulate the expensive accessory Archos offers.

Just make sure you know what you're doing....
honeymonkey
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by honeymonkey »

kepstein wrote:Archos technical support responded via email today:

Here is the output voltage and current of the power supply.

Voltage: 5.2V
Current: 2A

Thank you,
Tim S
Archos Technical Support
Told ya so :)
Just make sure you get the polarity right If you need help with this let me know. A power supply with the above specs will charge your unit 3-4 times faster than the usb connector.
JL3525

Post by JL3525 »

The Archos helmet cam uses it.
oprime
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by oprime »

I hate how Archos nickle and dimes you for this [email protected]

Pay $80 for the travel adapter and it doesn't even come with an AC adapter.
W T F !?!?!?!?!

The DVR station is $20 more but it comes with it AND a remote.

Now I have to hunt down a piddly adapter to get this thing to work.

Urgh.

Next they'll want $5 for firmware updates.

Return to “604 and 504”