h.264 profiles

RyFish
Archos User
Archos User

h.264 profiles

Post by RyFish »

Hi, Archos noob here.

I'm thinking about buying either the 504 or the 604 (probably the 504) and am interested in its ability to play h.264 files. Does anyone know which profiles are supported (baseline, main, high etc) or whether things like B frames and CABAC are allowed?

Many thanks! :D
martinjay
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by martinjay »

Hmm.... :-k I usually prefer .avi...but maybe this guy can help:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?p=14472#14472
RyFish
Archos User
Archos User

Post by RyFish »

Thanks, it's a good start!

The thing is I have a HUGE amount ot TV recordings stored in h264 high profile and I could do with knowing if these will play on the 504 without re-encoding (and the subsequent drop in quality).
EdZ
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EdZ »

h.264 works, as long as you don't use QPEL or GMC. Haven't experimented with b-frames yet.
RyFish
Archos User
Archos User

Post by RyFish »

Thanks for that :-) All I need to find out now is about CABAC. Oh, and as a related issue, whether or not it accepts the MP4 container or if everything has to be in an AVI.

Is it me or is the Archos website quite vague? It mentions MPEG-4, MPEG-2 and WMV profiles, but no profiles for h.264 - it just says up to DVD resolution, which isn't very helpful :?:
EdZ
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EdZ »

I accepts mp4, but NOT softsubs or multiple audio streams.
RyFish
Archos User
Archos User

Post by RyFish »

That should be okay for my needs, as most of my MP4 files (the ones recorded off the TV) have only the one audio stream and no subtitles. Does it just ignore extra streams or does it choke on them?

I've e-mailed Archos for some information but I don't expect any reply. You can only contact their tech support after you've actually bought something.

Maybe someone who has a 504/604 could test some files and see what works/doesn't work? I could supply small test files if it helps?
RyFish
Archos User
Archos User

Post by RyFish »

Just had a reply from a very nice person at Archos who says that the 04 series supports only the basic (I assume they mean baseline) profile. No idea what level, but it's a start! :)
kawiultraman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kawiultraman »

If you want, you can send me a small test file and I'll check it out for you.
Guapogiboy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Guapogiboy »

Can you guys tell me why I can't play the MP4 files on this site?

One Peice Anime (starting from when they started using x264 encoding in mp4 format)

http://kaizoku-fansubs.com/
kawiultraman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kawiultraman »

Guapogiboy wrote:Can you guys tell me why I can't play the MP4 files on this site?

One Peice Anime (starting from when they started using x264 encoding in mp4 format)

http://kaizoku-fansubs.com/
because they use x.264 encoding, which isn't supported.
Guapogiboy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Guapogiboy »

I thought H.264 and X264 are the same thing... I guess I know jack when it comes to encryption. Ok... Does anyone know how to make the conversion from x.264 back to avi? They have a guide but it doesn't work for me.
RyFish
Archos User
Archos User

Post by RyFish »

kawiultraman wrote:If you want, you can send me a small test file and I'll check it out for you.
Thanks :) I've taken the plunge and ordered one (should have been here yesterday but the couriers have let me down - grr!) but if it doesn't turn up monday I'll get back to you
Guapogiboy wrote:I thought H.264 and X264 are the same thing... I guess I know jack when it comes to encryption. Ok... Does anyone know how to make the conversion from x.264 back to avi? They have a guide but it doesn't work for me.
x264 is an open-source implementation of h.264, ie it's a codec, so that shouldn't be an issue. The problem comes with the options that were used during encoding. From what I've been told by Archos, the 04 series is only compatible with the baseline profile - if the files you have downloaded have used the main or high profiles then they won't play.

AVI is just a container format - you can put h.264 files (ie x264 or Nero Digital) files INSIDE an AVI (along with and audio track), but you can't convert from one to another. h.264 files are happiest in MP4 containers and you can, in some instances, takes the files from an MP4 and place them in an AVI, but if the video file is of the wrong profile it still won't play.

Hope this helps!
dr150
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dr150 »

I can't get h.264 files to code correctly for my Archos 504 using Nero Recode (choppy pics).

I don't check the CABAC box and put "0" in B frames box.

With no CABAC and B frames, I still get choppy video with Nero Recode.

What specific settings do you guys use to code h.264 with Nero Recode2 software?.....

Return to “604 and 504”