Couldn't wait anymore so brought the Asus Transformer Prime

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
RichieG
Archos User
Archos User

Couldn't wait anymore so brought the Asus Transformer Prime

Post by RichieG »

Hi all,

I have been holding on the the gen 9 archos 101, 1.5 ghz model for some time now. In the past I have brought the 605, I currently own the archos 5IT and 101 gen 8. I would say I am loyal to archos and really was excited about the new gen 9 but wanted the higher spec and speed.

In the end I gave up and having to face up to the fact that they never really get it right. My gen 8 101 is still not 100% right and I have had to install the urukdroid in order to get more app space and make it run smoother. I know the price is less but I will never look back at buying the prime. It is worth every penny extra. i have had it a week and it is fantastic. Speed it very good, it loads pictures, videos, apps with ease. It allows for multi tasking. The keyboard is great as it now becomes a quick as using a pc. I am blown away from what this thing can do without any problems. Connecting to my wifi in seconds and not dropping off. Playing videos from my network without buffering, editing movies. The graphics are very good so gaming is great and I can only see more great games being released.

The only problems I have had is gps will not get a fix without wifi, although I have not taken it out of my house yet. My 5IT never gets a lock inside my house so this may not be an issue, but others are having this problem. I am sure a fix will be along soon. The other two problems was a flicker of the logo when booting and the screen rotation stopped work after removing the pad from the keyboard dock. Both of these are now fixed from a firmware update yesterday. Yes there are problems from users but it seems less than what we get with the archos products.

I have loaded so many apps on it and there is no problem with space. I maxed out both the 5IT and 101 with apps before. It has honeycombe and will shortly be updated to ICS. The quality of the unit is so good compared with the 101. The is solid and sturdy. It has gorilla glass and the viewing angles are incredible. It has different power options with brightness which is much better. Battery life is very good.

All in all I absolutely love this thing. I will keep the 5IT and sell the 101. I hope in the future that archos get their act together as they are good as the media side of things. However as much as i tried to convince myself it was worth paying less for the archos tablet in the end it is not. You don't have to by plug ins etc which bump up the cost. The price is still not confirmed for the 1.5ghz 101, I believe it may end up being sold at £329 and then £10 delivery. Total cost £350+ . Therefore I am not too far away from the £475 I paid for the prime which included the keyboard and free delivery.

I felt compelled to write this and i do not want to annoy anyone just give me brief review. For those who can afford it go for the prime. I do not regret it at all.
Archos 5 IT & 101 IT owner
SWDT
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Couldn't wait anymore so brought the Asus Transformer Pr

Post by SWDT »

Mate, I don't blame you - I've religiously bought Archos products for so many years, but I just wasn't impressed with the Gen9's when I viewed it in the store, and even then the tablet kept crashing on me.

I will never go back to Archos. Not now that I have bought the Sony Tablet S. It's just a fantastic bit of kit. There are no issues with it that I have found so far, it's never locked up on me, force closed and we are getting ICS in the next few months. The developers respond to feedback, any issues on their forum are fixed quickly.

Granted that there is no HDMI out, or the vast array of media files that the Archos can play. But it's gaming performance is through the roof, the graphics are fantastic and I'd rather be honest in saying that I wanted a tablet that would arrive on my doorstep without the issues I've always had with Archos products straight out of the boxes.

Sorry Archos, but you lost me with the A70.
jiyong
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jiyong »

With NVidia trying to monopolize the gaming market on Android, I won't buy a Tegra 3 device.
As far as I know the delay of the 1.5 GHz is not the fault of Archos, but I read Texas Instruments has problems producing them. And I wouldn't be surprised Samsung and Google got priority for the Nexus S.

The plugins are not important to me. VPlayer has hardware acceleration and it seems it can access hardware acceleration on the G9 tablets. I wouldn't be surprised when other players (like MX player) will follow soon. The only downside is that 3rd party players don't have access (yet?) to the widescreen mode of the HDMI port.

I wouldn't be surprised when the G10 will have an IPS screen, as these screens are starting to pop up in budget tablets.
I'm just waiting for a 1080p tablet that is fast enough to play BD rips and 1080p AVCHD movies from my camera.
Acer announced a 1920*1200 tablet, but I wonder how that will work out when using the HDMI port with a TV.

At this moment I wouldn't buy a Sony S anymore. Now with the release of the Transformer Prime all competitors will rush to quad core tablets. Dual core will be downgraded to mid and low market. And the Tegra 2 is actually the worst of all dual core CPUs for mobile devices. Granted, it was first to market, but NVidia really cut some corners.

I'm waiting for the Samsung Tab 7.7 (also as universal remote) and a 1080p tablet. When 3rd party players can access the HDMI port it could be an Archos 80 Turbo. But I still love the form factor of the Archos 70. Especially when flying.
marcel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by marcel »

apparently there are issues with samsung tablets getting the ICS upgrade as the touchwiz interface uses too much memory.

marcel
RichieG
Archos User
Archos User

Post by RichieG »

I have now upgraded today my asus transformer prime to ICS!! I received this on the 30th Dec so within a couple of weeks we have gone from Honeycombe to ice Cream sandwich so I am very happy indeed. It runs very smoothly and do not regret changing from archos to asus.
Archos 5 IT & 101 IT owner
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

marcel wrote:apparently there are issues with samsung tablets getting the ICS upgrade as the touchwiz interface uses too much memory.

marcel
The original 7" Galaxy Tab and the original Galaxy S phone (and carrier rebadged derivatives), yes. AFAICT, the second gen Galaxy Tab 10.1, 8.9, and 7.7 (not sure if I actually got the screen sizes right) units will all get ICS.
A43IT A5IT Transformer Playbook
nekogami13
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by nekogami13 »

RichieG wrote:I have now upgraded today my asus transformer prime to ICS!! I received this on the 30th Dec so within a couple of weeks we have gone from Honeycombe to ice Cream sandwich so I am very happy indeed. It runs very smoothly and do not regret changing from archos to asus.
Got it on my acer a200.
It is nice, both the tablet and ICS.
Archos is in some trouble now that reputable, quality tablet makers are shooting for the $300 market.
viviofahio
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by viviofahio »

I ordered mine too and can't wait to get it. Although I must confess to being a little anxious regarding the wifi issues. I'm not too concerned about the GPS and for sure it would be nice if it worked but for me it's not that important. The wifi connectivity however is an extremely important part of the device, more important than some docking station. I live in a house with plenty of concrete walls and I'll use it in many rooms so I'll be testing rigorously first before I finally keep it. I too am very disappointed about the waiting time with the G9 80 1.5ghz. I did really want to get it but were approaching nearly a year since the annoucement of the errrr, 1.6ghz tablet! But in any case the quality of Archos products is quite poor and so is their customer service, terrible in fact. I really do love the products they made earlier but they are too focused on making cheaper priced products that are cheaper in quality and build. I think they should review their strategy a little and make premium tablets also, i'm sure if they did they would do a good job as they have plenty of experience in the game and i'm sure R&D are fed up with cutting corners for the sake of costs. But in this cut thoat business that is consumer electronics if you dilly-dally about like this 1.5ghz product, customers will move on quite quickly. I have a feeling there are plenty of Archos fans that feel the exact same way too.

PS. I know the delay is not all Archos' fault and TI has to take some of it but nearly 9 months on and still no sign is just not good enough from either company

Return to “Competitors”