Bought a Playbook instead

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
leathej
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Bought a Playbook instead

Post by leathej »

I have had several Archos products going back to the A340 ( I think that's what it was called) up to the G8 A70. I was all set to get a G9 but the lack of ram and the issues with the screen (dimple effect) made me worried. I looked at getting an Asus Transformer but the price (£330 is the best I have seen it) put me off. I have now gone down a completely different route and ordered a Blackberry Playbook, 16gb from Amazon for £239. I know it will not play video as well as the Archos but if I an being honest I didn't do much media viewing on my A70. I like the look of the Playbook and and interface and the speed (from the reviews I have seen). For what I want it should work well, especially when the native email app and Android player ( I know it will be limited) are launched. The lack of 3g does not bother me at all as I will mostly be using it at home and when I do travel I will use my phone's connection and tether it. I never quite understand the craving for a 3g version of tablets anyway when you can connect to your phone (as I do with my A70) who wants 2 data plans. Anyway, what I want is a faster browser, nicer interface, proper falsh performance and better screen than my A70 (which I like very much by the way but thoguht it was time for an upgrade). The Playbook seems to fit the bill. It's a shame Archos haven't in my opnion made the G9 all it could have been, I would have paid another £20-£30 or so for more ram and better construction etc. I used to quite look forward to my yearly Archos upgrade. I wonder how many others who used to get a new Archos each year like I did will no longer do so.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Bought a Playbook instead

Post by butterflygirl »

I was prepared to skip Gen 9, but decided to get the 80. I really love it and am very glad I did not pass up this generation. (I think I have had every Gen of Archos since the AV500.)
leathej
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Bought a Playbook instead

Post by leathej »

got the playbook and just getting used to it. first impressions are, the screen is amazing with fantastic viewing angles and brilliant colours and vibrancy. the OS is really good so far with proper multitasking. it's heavier than i thought it would be. The speakers are pretty good, excellent build quality, good browser. Not as good at playing video as Archos but this is my primary use for a tablet. played a couple of hi quality divx fine and they look gorgeous. downloaded Dead Space and the graphics are very good. All in all loving it so far, it feels like a quality product well worth 239 pounds

Return to “Competitors”