New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
dougeeebear
Archos Expert
Archos Expert
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:07 am
Location: Mid-South, USA

New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by dougeeebear »

Amazon's new Kindle Fire tablet is now on preorder with a release date of November 15, 2011.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/re ... A8X7YEC9QB&
A43IT / A70IT / A101IT
philthy_ritch
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by philthy_ritch »

Give me a super thin lightweight 10 inch model with the IPS screen for $249 to have around the house, and I will be interested. 7" insn't very practical without 3g and only 8gb of space. I hope developers flock to these tablets with the backing of amazon and we see more apps on the horizon.
Greg_e
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by Greg_e »

No SD card slot, would have made a good machine if it had one.
TinyJWR
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by TinyJWR »

Almost sound like they're selling a printer. Sell the printer cheap and make your money on the ink.

Let's sell a tablet for a good price. We'll make our money selling movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books and apps.
35 characters isn't enuff for a sig
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:27 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by bhmm »

No bluetooth either....no I will pass.
Greg_e
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by Greg_e »

I didn't even think to look for BT, yup another key feature lacking.
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:27 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by bhmm »

And no WMV capabilities...this looks like Arnova in disguise.
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:01 am
Location: Saint Lucia, Caribbean GMT -4

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by zandoli »

Can you imagine, no external volume buttons!?
Only button or port is the power button.

This thing is worse than Apple's locked down devices.
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
Greg_e
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by Greg_e »

They will sell millions, just like the Kindle but I have a feeling those lured by the glossy color screen will suddenly understand why their old B/W Kindle was so much better. This thing is totally a consumption device designed to consume books, movies, and track your every online move if you use it for browsing (read how their browsing works).
rushmore
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: US

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by rushmore »

Greg_e wrote:They will sell millions, just like the Kindle but I have a feeling those lured by the glossy color screen will suddenly understand why their old B/W Kindle was so much better. This thing is totally a consumption device designed to consume books, movies, and track your every online move if you use it for browsing (read how their browsing works).

You nailed it :)

This device is a Trojan horse and is why there is no Android market, no microsd slot, small internal storage and a heavy cloud storage push. Data mining is the priority. Hold off buying one of these, since a lot of folks will return these to Amazon or sell them. Cloud storage does not do too well on trips and in many homes where unstable wifi and data caps are a monthly norm.

Early 2012 will see a ton of these selling for $100 on eBay. It is gimped by design.
Wavelength 405
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by Wavelength 405 »

We'll see, If the internet silk browser runs circles around anything Archos can do I'm all there. I think amazon just took Archos niche of low cost mobile internet for 7". I can't wait to see what the silk browser can do (http://amazonsilk.wordpress.com/) & how Archos will react to it.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by butterflygirl »

It seems to me that the Fire is being implemented after the Apple business model, i.e. this is a tablet to consume Amazon content and use Amazon appstore, much like iTunes. I guess we'll see how locked down it is when it comes out. Cannot believe there is not even an sd card slot.
rushmore
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: US

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by rushmore »

butterflygirl wrote:It seems to me that the Fire is being implemented after the Apple business model, i.e. this is a tablet to consume Amazon content and use Amazon appstore, much like iTunes. I guess we'll see how locked down it is when it comes out. Cannot believe there is not even an sd card slot.
Ironic, since it would sell even more with one (and have legs too), but would compromise their business model of a captive customer base. They want that cloud data REAL bad ;)
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7055
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Location: Copenhagen
Contact:

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by Charbax »

Wavelength 405 wrote:We'll see, If the internet silk browser runs circles around anything Archos can do I'm all there. I think amazon just took Archos niche of low cost mobile internet for 7". I can't wait to see what the silk browser can do (http://amazonsilk.wordpress.com/) & how Archos will react to it.
Amazon Silk is vaporware, obviously. The promise is to do something like Opera Mobile, but bigger. And there is no point, OMAP4 is now fast enough to render any website natively as fast as on a laptop, why would anyone want to have Amazon compress websites through their cloud thing?

Anyways, the Amazon Fire is a good thing for the Android tablet market, it will bring many more people to be interested in tablets, those people will click for alternatives and that means many more Archos devices will be sold, on Amazon also.

Amazon can do a firmware upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich and make it more open, with Google Marketplace, Google apps, otherwise it'll just be the hackers that will provide root alternatives on xda and stuff.
dustinb1313
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by dustinb1313 »

You can order the kindle fire for the best prices here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051V ... hosfcom-20
chauhoang48
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:29 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by chauhoang48 »

dougeeebear wrote:Amazon's new Kindle Fire cases tablet is now on preorder with a release date of November 15, 2011.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/re ... A8X7YEC9QB&

Cool price, I preorder for my son.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by butterflygirl »

My biggest question about Amazon's newest venture is how their movie streaming works with the Fire. Currently, when I try to stream video from Amazon to one of my Android tablets, I get a notification from their website that their videos are not optimized for mobile. On Archos gen 9, playback is much better than my experience on gen 8, but video is still stuttery on scenes with a lot of motion. I am wondering how Amazon is going to handle this. Will they have an optimized version that everyone can stream, or just use their Silk technology/software to stream to the Fire? Since their goal seems to be to make money selling content rather than hardware, judging by the price of the Fire, hopefully they will make this content usable by everyone.

I guess the other option is that you download a copy of what you want to watch to the Fire. When you purchase videos from Amazon, you can download a portable copy now, but you can only transfer that copy to two portable devices, have to use the Unbox software, and can only transfer one portable copy from a single computer. There is no way to release the portable licenses once you have transferred a copy to portable device, so this is not a viable option for someone like me who changes devices at least yearly.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by butterflygirl »

Getting one tomorrow. Gonna give it to hubby for Christmas.
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 am

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by xfirex »

butterflygirl wrote:My biggest question about Amazon's newest venture is how their movie streaming works with the Fire. Currently, when I try to stream video from Amazon to one of my Android tablets, I get a notification from their website that their videos are not optimized for mobile. On Archos gen 9, playback is much better than my experience on gen 8, but video is still stuttery on scenes with a lot of motion. I am wondering how Amazon is going to handle this. Will they have an optimized version that everyone can stream, or just use their Silk technology/software to stream to the Fire? Since their goal seems to be to make money selling content rather than hardware, judging by the price of the Fire, hopefully they will make this content usable by everyone.

I guess the other option is that you download a copy of what you want to watch to the Fire. When you purchase videos from Amazon, you can download a portable copy now, but you can only transfer that copy to two portable devices, have to use the Unbox software, and can only transfer one portable copy from a single computer. There is no way to release the portable licenses once you have transferred a copy to portable device, so this is not a viable option for someone like me who changes devices at least yearly.
I am very surprised you are having problems with the Amazon streaming on the G9.
I have no problems on the Acer A100, even HD movies like Yellowstone are playing excellent.
Maybe the Nvidia GPU?
Give me Liberty or Structured Notes
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet is on preorder

Post by butterflygirl »

@xfirex

I guess I'll have to try again. I had the issue with both the 80 and my Flyer. Netflix streams fine. Amazon streams fine through my Roku and my Acer Iconia W500.
Post Reply

Return to “Competitors”