I'm worried about Amazon's upcoming tablet

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
OllieG
Archos User
Archos User

I'm worried about Amazon's upcoming tablet

Post by OllieG »

If Archos doesn't ship the G9 tablets before Amazon ships its tablet, Archos' marketing may be drowned out in the upcoming hype that will surround Amazon's subscriber-subsidized tablet.
New information emanating from China and Taiwan point out there might be about 3 million Amazon tablets for the taking during fall. Production at Quanta Computers Inc. is already on at full steam and it has been so since the beginning of July, with production figures pointing out eight hundred thousand to a million of the Amazon tablets being churned out on a monthly basis. Also, thatÔÇÖs the rate that will be maintained until October, which makes almost 3 million of the Amazon tablets during fall.

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slat ... this-fall/
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: I'm worried about Amazon's upcoming tablet

Post by gte105u »

If the article is accurate, and they are cutting out cameras, connections, etc. then that will still leave a nitch for Archos. A lot of people appreciate the flexibility that Archos affords at low prices. If I had to choose between a device with or without HDMI, USB host, full size USB, etc. for basically the same cost I would. I am also curious how Amazon will deal with the Android Market since they have and maintain their own. It is something to keep your eyes on. I have little loyalty to Archos themselves... My A70 is nice, I enjoy it, but it has its own issues and Archos has been hit or miss on customer service. If a different device came along at a comparable price point that fit my needs I would go with it. I think in this age of Tablets most people are on that same page.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by xfirex »

There are so little known about this, here are some rumors I found.

"the tablets will feature processors from Texas Instruments; Wintek will supply touch panels; ILI Technology will supply ÔÇ£LCD driver ICsÔÇØ. Quanta Computer will oversee the assembly of the tablets."

Most all rumors points to Samsung as the manufacture.
The OS is believed to be Android, but this is not sure at all as the Kindle was a custom Linux build, they may continue that.
Give me Liberty or Structured Notes
TinyJWR
Archos User
Archos User

Post by TinyJWR »

Doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other. I think it's stupid to be brand loyal when purchasing anything. First, determine you needs. Then, find a product and price that fills your needs.
35 characters isn't enuff for a sig
OllieG
Archos User
Archos User

Amazon to sell upccoming tablet for less than it costs

Post by OllieG »

Tech analyst Tim Bajarin claims that Amazon will be selling its upcoming tablet for less then it costs to make. The company plans to adhere to its common business practice by undercutting the competition and making long-term revenue. Tim Bajarin wrote a piece last week in PC WORLD where he mentioned the cost to develop and manufacture the tablet would be more than what the company would sell it for. The company would in-fact take a loss on the hardware...
http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic- ... -cost-249/
Greg_e
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Greg_e »

That is a time tested and proven business tactic... Give away the razor, make money on razor blades. Same applies to most cell phones. The one thing that would stop me is if it has advertising like the lowest priced Kindle machines. If they are going to stream advertising at me, then the hardware better be free.
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by xfirex »

The rumor mill is churning regarding the new Amazon tablet.

Speculation is that Nvidia has a chip going into the tablet.

But they have a chip in several never tablets, so are they talking the new 4 core I wonder?

That would be some serious threat to the current ruler, not only a 4 core but with the tablet branded by Amazon this could be BIG seller in the US.
OllieG
Archos User
Archos User

7-inch tablet in October, 10-inch tablet in 2012

Post by OllieG »

Report: 10-inch Amazon Tablet Set for Early 2012
...Digitimes said that Quanta had received the work order for a 7-inch Amazon tablet and that the contract would contribute $3.5 billion to QuantaÔÇÖs 2011 revenues. Now Digitimes says that Amazon plans to ship this Quanta-made tablet in October of this year, while the larger 10-inch tablet will not ship until 2012...
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Amazon-Tabl ... 12355.html
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by xfirex »

The 7" is the future in portables, possible 8" is in there too which is good for Archos.

After having used the 7" Iconia tab for 2 weeks I fully understand why Amazon is releasing this format first.

So how long before Steve Jobs or Tim Cook jumps onboard?
Greg_e
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Greg_e »

I looked at some 10 inch tablets and decided that 7 inch would probably be better for me as long as the resolution is still something like 1280x720.

Has there been any better leaks on the time frame? I really want a GOOD portable PDF reader and have been thinking of the Iconia (Android and Windows) or the MSI 110w, problem is that $500 is WAY too much for netbook like performance from a tablet, needs to be down in the under $300 range (Iconia may still win). I would prefer a full on Windows machine, but no one has anything decent in a realistic price range.
syounger64
Archos User
Archos User

Post by syounger64 »

+1 for not having brand loyalty. I like my archos 101 (snapped one up at last November release) and finally was able to achieve my ultimate goal which was to do video chat via purple vrs which is a video chat service for deaf people BUT this was after months of awaiting updates...keep in mind that's with me grinding my teeth at folks with their stupid ipads and loads of android phones having better capabilities. I'm planning on going from my blackberry 9300 to either a droid bionic or samsung galaxy 2 phone (tough decision) but will still use my 101 for watching my TV shows/movies, games and work (at least for this year) .
hockey_fan09
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by hockey_fan09 »

this is only going to cost 250.
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by xfirex »

Some more leaks:

7 inch capacitive display
Customized version of Android
Amazon Appstore, Cloud Player, Kindle app, Instant Video Player
No Android market, no Google apps
Single core 1 GHz processor
6GB internal storage
WiFi only
No camera, No GPS [probably]
micro-USB port
No hardware buttons
$250?

This could turn out to be a perfect target for hackers.
Greg_e
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Greg_e »

Single core 1Ghz is a complete failure, you can buy the same features direct from China now for about the same and have full features. I hope this rumor turns out to be wrong and the rumors of the quad core turn out to be right.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Greg_e wrote:Single core 1Ghz is a complete failure, you can buy the same features direct from China now for about the same and have full features. I hope this rumor turns out to be wrong and the rumors of the quad core turn out to be right.
There is no way that these ultra-low priced Amazon tablets are going to come with quad-core CPUs. That rumor is a joke at best.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either a TI OMAP 4430, or a Tegra 2, but there's no way you'll see a quad-core CPU in these. The tablets would have to come out at about $600+ minimum. If they came out at a low price, that would force everyone else's hand, and all manufacturers would be pushed into slashing the cost of their tablets, creating a huge benefit for customers, but not for manufacturers.
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by xfirex »

Harfainx wrote:
Greg_e wrote:Single core 1Ghz is a complete failure, you can buy the same features direct from China now for about the same and have full features. I hope this rumor turns out to be wrong and the rumors of the quad core turn out to be right.
There is no way that these ultra-low priced Amazon tablets are going to come with quad-core CPUs. That rumor is a joke at best.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either a TI OMAP 4430, or a Tegra 2, but there's no way you'll see a quad-core CPU in these. The tablets would have to come out at about $600+ minimum. If they came out at a low price, that would force everyone else's hand, and all manufacturers would be pushed into slashing the cost of their tablets, creating a huge benefit for customers, but not for manufacturers.
I have a problem with the single core part, Wall Street was all over a "new" chip from Nvidia going into this tablet last week, it spurred quite a discussion on the threat to Wall Streets darling Apple.
Greg_e
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Greg_e »

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-atom-z67 ... -11139455/

Gives a reasonable price estimate on Tegra2 being pocket change, it may be rough but I do know that the Z670 is pretty close to that price so the Tegra2 should be pretty close to the $25 each in volume, the quad cores should be no more than $50 at the start of production and probably drop to $30 within the first year. I don't see the cost of the CPU being the biggest factor in the pricing of any of these devices. I would bet that a substantial amount is the display and what they do here may be the difference in price where the $500 10 inch device gets the much better display, and the 7 inch gets a common off the shelf LCD that has been on the market for the last couple of years and can be found on $200 generic tablets now.

if it was a single core, there would be nothing different between these generic tablets and the Amazon device, here are some examples of under $300 generic tablets with cap/ touch screens:
http://www.ankaka.com/gpad-pro-android2 ... 47815.html
http://www.ankaka.com/ctab-pro-android- ... 47904.html
http://www.ankaka.com/gtab-g9-multitouc ... 48031.html
http://www.ankaka.com/gtab-e9-android-2 ... 48042.html
http://www.ankaka.com/ctab-d7-multitouc ... 48125.html
http://www.ankaka.com/epad-prime-androi ... 48194.html
Add $25 to any of them and there should be plenty of room for a Tegra 2 and hit a $250 price point, could probably hit a $200 price point if you sell it like a loss leader which is what some people are speculating, picking up the money on other Amazon purchases along the way.
OllieG
Archos User
Archos User

Amazon and Nook 7 inch tablets to ship in October

Post by OllieG »

Amazon and Nook 7 inch tablets to ship in October
Amazons goal is to sell 4 million of its upcoming 7 inch Android tablet due out in the next month....

Amazon is planning on offering its tablet for $250.00, which is the same price as the Barnes and Noble Nook Color. Digitimes is pointing out that sources claim the milestone of 4 million units sold in just two months may be just a dream....

Barnes and Noble is rumoured to be working on the Nook Color 2 which may come out towards the end of October and may heat up the tablet race. If B&N does release its 2nd generation honeycomb tablet and Amazon debuts their device, one has to wonder how the market will accept it? Both companies gain traction from their expansive ecosystem. The Nook currently is the best tablet being billed as an e-reader because of the wide array of newspapers, magazines, textbooks, kids books and audio content. They have been running away with the market for most of this year and the tail end of last year....
http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic- ... ay-season/
OllieG
Archos User
Archos User

Post by OllieG »

Amazon looks set to reveal Kindle tablet on Sept 28
Various tech blogs have received invites from Amazon for a special press conference scheduled on September 28. Our natural instincts tell us Amazon's Kindle tablet will be officially unveiled to the public at that event. Barnes & Noble's Nook Color better brace itself.

What to Expect

Earlier this month, TechCrunch's MG Siegler got his hands on the Kindle tablet and shared his observations with the world. As far as we know, he's the only person outside of Amazon's designers and engineers who has actually held and used the tablet.

This is what we know about the Android-powered Kindle tablet: 7-inch screen, single-core processor, 6GB of storage, speakers, micro-USB and no cameras. It'll have a Cover Flow-esque carousel for opening apps, e-books, music and videos and it'll sell for an estimated price of $250.
http://dvice.com/archives/2011/09/amazon-might-re.php
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

No tablet marketing by competitors can hurt Archos ever, you have to understand that any tablet marketing increases sales of Archos devices automatically. Simply because Archos is always the better value. When the ipad came out, that doubled Archos sales overnight, with the latest Honeycomb tablets, Archos sales have continued to only increase. Consider this is free advertising for the tablet concept.

I'm only dissapointed if the Amazon tablet doesn't use a Pixel Qi 7" screen, because that means it cannot be used for reading. Only Amazon or Apple can kick-start the use of Pixel Qi LCD as a way to make LCD readable for e-books, usable outdoors and to extend the battery runtime by up to 5x.

One thing is for sure, Amazon.com will remain the single biggest reseller of Archos devices in the world no matter what. And the Amazon tablet will only bring yet even more attention to the tablet market which will increase sales for Archos, this is a certainty.

Return to “Competitors”