ASUS EEE Pad Transformer - "quick & dirty" review

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ASUS EEE Pad Transformer - "quick & dirty" review

Post by WMTOANDROID »

Having used the transformer now for over 24 "on time" hours, I've been able to put together some likes and dislikes. This unit will be replacing my windows 7 laptop, with the exception of one program, which is on PC, but not available on android for a few more weeks. Once I receive the keyboard dock, I believe the utility that this device already offers will be doubled at least!

Positives:

- multitasking is great
. No more browser crashes when running multiple tabs. Using Firefox, I was able to get 22 tabs opened (with websites) before I got bored of trying anymore - there were no issues, but firefox is still a bit buggy.
- notification bar just works.
- very high quality screen with great viewing angles.
- battery life is amazing. 8 hours the first day with 34% free.
- soft keys become hidden on video playback (e.g. Full screen YouTube).
The "always on" softkeys on the Archos devices has been a major complaint by all users.
- no more app storage worries. This was my #1 complaint with the Archos 70.
- no bluetooth keyboard drops, which was a constant issue with the Archos 70..
- tethering is flawless. Again, this was an issue with the Archos 70.
- quick settings on notification bar is very useful.
- flash is amazing. Even sites that offer HD quality video work well.

Negatives:
- short charge cable and bad placement. I hear the cable can be lengthened using a USB 3.0 extension, which I've ordered.
-some widgets don't refresh reliably or disapear. Adding the same widget makes it reappear. This doesn't happen with all Widgets, so it could be a compatibility issue with Honeycomb.
- issues with text selection not being an option in some apps (e.g. Firefox ) or being inconsistent (sometimes tap and hold works, other times double tap on a word works).
- Some issues with app force closes. Not as frequent as with Froyo on the Archos 70.
- Pre-loaded apps, like Splashtop always run in the background. There is a Rom by Modaco which removes the extra bloat and makes the device run much better with more free ram. It also adds 1000 points to the quadrant score

This device is certainly more of a Pc experience vs a phone experience, which I love.

If anyone has any questions or would like me to test something out, just let me know.
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: ASUS EEE Pad Transformer - "quick & dirty" review

Post by MarcusMarcus »

Great review, sounds spectacular.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
songmeesay
Archos User
Archos User

Post by songmeesay »

Do you have the custom rom installed? If so, is it that much more better than the stock rom?

It's my first venture into Android coming from iOS and wanted to see if it was worth flashing the stock rom or if I would even notice a difference since I have no Android/Honeycomb experience at all. Used to be an Archos fan but I gave up on them after the AV500 years ago.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

songmeesay wrote:Do you have the custom rom installed? If so, is it that much more better than the stock rom?

It's my first venture into Android coming from iOS and wanted to see if it was worth flashing the stock rom or if I would even notice a difference since I have no Android/Honeycomb experience at all. Used to be an Archos fan but I gave up on them after the AV500 years ago.
I'm running the stock ROM, but there are several custom roms out there if I decided to try one.

Why aren't I using a custom ROM? Well, I don't feel that this device lacks anything and that would usually be the reason for me to go custom. With my Archos, the lack of app storage space and RAM forced me to use Urukdroid,but I don't have those limitations with this tablet. I'll be getting Honeycomb 3.1 soon, so keeping the device stock also means I'll get the update sooner :)
songmeesay
Archos User
Archos User

Post by songmeesay »

Cool, thanks for the reply!
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

Good Morning :) how is the audio out of the built in speakers.I have read reviews that it is not very good.
I have the Gt P1000 at present and I could use more base but overall for tiny speakers they work well.
Do they compare ?

thanks for info
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

MikeeWeird wrote:Good Morning :) how is the audio out of the built in speakers.I have read reviews that it is not very good.
I have the Gt P1000 at present and I could use more base but overall for tiny speakers they work well.
Do they compare ?

thanks for info
At the moment my Transformer is in for repair because of intermittent speaker problems, so I'm using an Acer A500 right now. If I get my Transformer back before the 14 day return period is up on this tablet, I'll compare the two. The A500 has great sound, some some have said the transformer has better... I never really paid much attention as the sound was pretty good for me.
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

thanks for your input,it sure would make a long battery lastin netbook, if it ever comes to the New World :)
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

sound quality is ok,but volume is lacking. on the other hand audio out on the jack is amongst the best sound ive heard
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

Nice to hear the quality of audio out is top notch
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

MikeeWeird wrote:Good Morning :) how is the audio out of the built in speakers.I have read reviews that it is not very good.
Do they compare ?

thanks for info
Ok, I've had a chance to compare the a500 to the transformer and to me music sounds better on the transformer. I can't describe it, but it's as if you can hear the sound coming at you from the front of the device on the TF and it sounds like things are coming out the back and somewhat muffled on the a500. This could have everything to do with speaker placement rather than speaker quality.
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

Thanks for the update

Return to “Competitors”