Eee Pad Transformer

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by MikeeWeird »

archonoid wrote:
Archos could have used capacitive 5" and 3G since Gen7 Android released in 2009, but if that ads $300 to the price it is stupid. (which is why nobody bought the Dell Streak)
Archos could have used a 1024x600 7" glass gorilla screen with 3G in Gen8, but if that increases the price to $799 unsubsidized, increases thickness and weight it is stupid. (which is why nobody bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab)
Archos could have used a Tegra2 in Arnova just to have Honeycomb a few weeks earlier, but if that triples the price and removes all points of form factor and feature differentiation it is stupid. (which is why nobody buys the Motorola Xoom)
Last time I looked the title of this discussion was "Eee Pad Transformer", so where is this device mentioned in any of your example rants?

Also I find your arguments completely laughable because I have seen your other posts and some of the work you have done and it appears you're a smart person- so these stubborn, one sided, avoid-the-facts arguments you make must either be your form of amusement, or Archos is holding your family hostage. That's the only sane reasons I can conceive.

One thing I wish you would get straight, because even my grandma could Google this to verify the numbers, is the price of the Transformer. It is $399 for the tablet. You keep quoting it with the notebook peripheral in trying to emphasize your point; however your comparison is invalid. The peripheral is an add-on. So using your logic, the 101 is $409.98. This is for the 16GB 101 tablet @ 349.99 (Transformer is 16GB) AND the case with the integrated keyboard @ 59.99 (http://www.newmp3technology.com/archos- ... d-case.htm).

By the way I personally consider gen8 cheap for 2 reasons- the first RMA for the bezel coming unglued around the screen, and now the second RMA for backlight failure. Both within a 6 month period. I would say "cheap" if this happened to any company's product, not just Archos'. AND to be fair I've stated before that these lower cost tablets do have a place in the market, but that is not to say that Archos couldn't take some efforts in making sure their designs and production runs are being properly inspected for quality.
Thanks for the effort to keep the thread on track :)

Looks like Asus is releasing more tablets ,maybe I will get one before Xmas :)
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

I like the direction that Asus has taken the Tablet market. I agree that the price seems much more reasonable than other comparable devices that our out. It is a touch above the range I would want to pay, but it does not seem out of line for what you are getting and the unique features. I hope as more companies enter the market or expand their lines they add features such as this. A dock with a keyboard, touchpad, and battery that turns your tablet into a laptop is not the same as a generic USB/bluetooth keyboard and mouse while on a kickstand. I think that Asus is onto something here.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

available at bestbuy again. managed to get my order in.should arrive next week. wonder if they will show up in the stores this weekend.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

got mine today. i guess this is what flash is supposed to look like. for 50 dollars over a101 there is no comparison. only thing a101 is better at is 720p avc.
scottmcp432
Archos User
Archos User

Post by scottmcp432 »

Charbax wrote:
MikeeWeird wrote:Archos is not good as a Galaxy tab technology wise ,Galaxy Tab is not as good as a Ipad 2 , technology wise .
That is absolutely not true.

You want me to list you how Archos is better technologically than Apple?

Thinner, lighter, has webcam (vs ipad1), supports all video codecs up to 720p, has a real HDMI, a real USB host, a real built-in kick-stand, stereo front facing speakers, is recognized as USB storage on any Windows/Mac/Linux instead of forced to use crap-itunes style software for files transfers, can format internal and external memory using FAT32 or EXT3 if you care to store 4GB+ MKV 720p movies on it, can easily stream Samba/Upnp videos and music up to 720p, the 7" model fits nicely in 99% of jacket pockets (perfect for bringing with you everywhere), can officially install official "jailbreak" firmware which allows you to play with alternative Android/Angrstom/Ubuntu and other embedded Linux OS, it costs $250 MSRP (cheaper at cheapest retail/online stores), supports MicroSD storage expansion, the 7" has even a 250GB hard drive version for $50 MSRP more and few mm thicker thickness, oh and it uses a real cool OS called Android which lets you pirate 200'000 apps for free on BitTorrent just transfer any .apk to it for free no jailbreaking needed. Google Marketplace has over 150'000 apps that work great on tablets as since Android 1.6 SDK all Android apps are designed to scale perfectly to tablet size (medium density) unlike iPhone apps on iPad.
My 101 IT, USB host-no longer functioning after firmware update, Front facing speakers (what are you smoking?) and pirating apps? Now that is something no forum I have ever posted on has allowed discussion of in ANY way , shape or form. So one of the selling points of Android is that you can illegally download and install software? Oh and less than half the apps I have downloaded from the market or the app store have functioned on my 101. It does have some great audio though. Oh, and as for flash, with the skyfire browser on my iPhone I get flash playback light years ahead of what I get on my 101. Unfortunately it does not play Flash from 100% of sites but then again neither does my 101. I own a variety of devices covering almost every OS available. I love and hate aspects of each. But I feel that the experience I get as a user of each OS will benefit me over the long term. Sorry if I am rambling but it is WAY past this old fart's bedtime.
A101,A5IMT,MBP,iPhone4,AsusG53JW
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

gottahavit wrote:got mine today. i guess this is what flash is supposed to look like. for 50 dollars over a101 there is no comparison. only thing a101 is better at is 720p avc.
Wait until you get Honeycomb 3.1 this week :)
Sonicjet
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Sonicjet »

You see charibax, none of the things you quoted, matter to 99% of people who buy tablets.
Most people don't know or care what micro-HDMI is...and they shouldn't. (They don't want to dangle a cord from their tablet to watch a video on it on TV)
Most people don't care that it has a propitiatory connector, most wouldn't ever use it. (They only wan't to charge it and plug in headphones)
Most people don't care about Linux and other alt OS on their tablets, and really, why would they? (They just want whatever is on it to work!)
Almost everyone doesn't know what MKV stands for, and really, why would they care anyway? (They just wan't to watch a good quality video! not go into a format and copy paste fiasco.)
Most people will pay much more for a product that is much more. (They want a good tablet with legitimate apps, not a piece of plastic from a brand notorious for poor customer relations and poor software.)

Most people would completely skip over the entire brand, why? Because Archos sucks at user experience. It has never been about features, never about specs, the only thing a user wants is a tablet that works, and works great. Not marketing, not half baked software and hardware, not resistive screens and certainly not owning a tablet whose OS is outdated and will never be touched, leaving them behind as everyone else brags about their moving wallpaper, or flash, or NFC or you know, a OS made for tablets. (Gen8 owners: Archos will never give you honeycomb, sorry, they will just make Gen 9 with honeycomb, right on time for Ice Cream Sandwitch to be out.)
The $399 Asus TF101 (the lone Asus tablet's model number, can't say anything now can you?) Has what people want:A great user experience , Archos does not understand it, you do not either. There is a reason why even owners of the iPad and A101 say the iPad is way better, it's all experience, it's the same reason why The TF101 will smash the A101 in sales. Archos does not get it, they don't need a cheaper product, they need a better one.

(BTW, I have used all three (iPad2,A101,TF101)) The TF101 is much better than the A101 for a tablet ($50 more, for a lot more?), the difference is amazing, also, it can play 720p on it's screen.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

You sure you own an A101? You just kind of sound like you're bashing on Archos here.

1: People DO care about HDMI-out. It's a HUGE feature, to be able to hook up to a TV and watch instead of watching on a small screen. Many iPad owners will tell you, and complain that they can't do HDMI-out. I use my HDMI-out at work, in my basement, and when I go to other people's houses. It's extremely easy to use my A101 to watch movies in places that don't otherwise have HD media capability for movies on a hard drive.
2: It's not just MKV, Archos devices support the widest variety of media, out of any tablet or device out there, other than a full-blown laptop/desktop solution. Go ahead and try comparing the media support on an Archos device to that of an iDevice, or any other tablet on the market.
3: Maybe you've never tried to watch 720p on the screen of your alleged A101, because you can. I watch 720p movies all the time.
4: Legitimate apps? Does your ASUS Transformer have their own app to control it from another Android device? All Android devices have access to almost all the same apps, outside of proprietary apps. Right now actually, the devices on FroYo have access to more apps than devices on Honeycomb because a large majority of Android apps haven't been re-worked for Honeycomb yet.

People shouldn't buy devices expecting to get upgrades, they should buy products for what they already offer.

Yes, I will fault Archos for the whole Flash problem. They did claim Flash support before the device came out, and they still haven't delivered a customized Flash player that has proper hardware acceleration for Archos devices. They shouldn't have advertized it until it was already done.

I don't buy devices for what they might get, or what updates may come. I bought my Gen8 devices with Eclair, and I'm glad they got FroYo. I'm happy with FroYo on it, as I bought it as advertized with FroYo.

Now, you claim that they run an outdated OS, so why is FroYo still the main Android OS on the market? Yes new tablets have Honeycomb, but you need to remember the date that these devices came out. They didn't come out when Honeycomb did like the Xoom, or the ASUS Transformer. These devices came out last year, LONG before Honeycomb, or any of these other devices. I don't see the Galaxy Tab getting Honeycomb, so does that mean Samsung has poor support too? They might claim that they will eventually get it, but if it's like the rest of the Samsung Galaxy S lineup, it will take 8 months longer, just like it did to get FroYo. The Archos devices had FroYo months before even Samsung's mainstream phones had it...
Sonicjet
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Sonicjet »

Debunk in bold.
Harfainx wrote:You sure you own an A101? You just kind of sound like you're bashing on Archos here.
Never said I owned one, however I have had quite a bit of time with one, I am also a slightly disgruntled A5A owner, you know, 1.6, everything else got 2.0+ around the same time. Also, this is the TF101 thread in the competitors forum, sounds like fair game. A fair game Archos really need to step up, at no point did I bash them, I bashed what they did, their mistakes and stupid moves.

1: People DO care about HDMI-out. It's a HUGE feature, to be able to hook up to a TV and watch instead of watching on a small screen. Many iPad owners will tell you, and complain that they can't do HDMI-out. I use my HDMI-out at work, in my basement, and when I go to other people's houses. It's extremely easy to use my A101 to watch movies in places that don't otherwise have HD media capability for movies on a hard drive. You are not the average user, I'm talking the other 90% of people out there, no one I know with a mHDMI phone have ever used it, and trust me, I know quite a few. Also, buy an ipad 2 and an apple TV, now you have a convenient and useful setup. (Airplay, wireless video and music. Yes it's $100 more, but it's worth it.) My point is that it's not a deal breaking feature for many and most don't care or care to know, most don't buy a tablet for that.
2: It's not just MKV, Archos devices support the widest variety of media, out of any tablet or device out there, other than a full-blown laptop/desktop solution. Go ahead and try comparing the media support on an Archos device to that of an iDevice, or any other tablet on the market. I realize they have their video player, but the future is not some setup where you have to work with file formats, if the user has to think about formats you are doing something wrong, the other tablets are going cloud based entertianment, Youtube rentals etc, just you wait for Google's music idea to go to videos, Archos will be SOL.
3: Maybe you've never tried to watch 720p on the screen of your alleged A101, because you can. I watch 720p movies all the time.
720p on a 1024x600 Screen? That is 600p. 720p is 1280x800, TF101,Xoom, Acer A500, Galaxy tab 10.1
4: Legitimate apps? Does your ASUS Transformer have their own app to control it from another Android device? All Android devices have access to almost all the same apps, outside of proprietary apps. Right now actually, the devices on FroYo have access to more apps than devices on Honeycomb because a large majority of Android apps haven't been re-worked for Honeycomb yet.
Two words: Android Market.
People shouldn't buy devices expecting to get upgrades, they should buy products for what they already offer.
I should not buy a car expecting parts to be available when it breaks down, or that gas from a week from now will work, or that I should buy a GPS that will work in a year or a computer that runs the next version of windows...in a month? They can and must, a $350 expenditure should be stood behind. The computer industry works like that, and guess what, to have Ice Cream Sandwich, Archos will be forced to update for two whole years as per contract. It's the cost of being a good company that stands behind it's products.
Yes, I will fault Archos for the whole Flash problem. They did claim Flash support before the device came out, and they still haven't delivered a customized Flash player that has proper hardware acceleration for Archos devices. They shouldn't have advertized it until it was already done.

I don't buy devices for what they might get, or what updates may come. I bought my Gen8 devices with Eclair, and I'm glad they got FroYo. I'm happy with FroYo on it, as I bought it as advertized with FroYo.

Now, you claim that they run an outdated OS, so why is FroYo still the main Android OS on the market? (Why is there more last year Chevys than this years?) Yes new tablets have Honeycomb, but you need to remember the date that these devices came out. They didn't come out when Honeycomb did like the Xoom, or the ASUS Transformer. These devices came out last year, LONG before Honeycomb, or any of these other devices. (Gingerbread was a month out.) I don't see the Galaxy Tab getting Honeycomb, so does that mean Samsung has poor support too? (Yep!) They might claim that they will eventually get it, but if it's like the rest of the Samsung Galaxy S lineup, it will take 8 months longer, just like it did to get FroYo. The Archos devices had FroYo months before even Samsung's mainstream phones had it...True, but that is what it was marketed as.
Also, I respect Archos for some things, for it's time, at launch, the A5A was a honest attempt to make something great, but things have really changed, and while features and bragging rights have gone up for Archos, at the end of the day, Gen8 just can't play.
I'm not any kind of Apple fanboy, I do own the iPad 2, but I don't think it's perfect, it's just way better than Archos has ever done. Also, I don't hate android, I own a Gingerbread Droid 1, read that: Gingerbread, device released around the same exact time as the A5A, no it's not official, but the hardware can do it and the company made it easy to flash, Archos kinda makes it hard.
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

Amazon.ca still Temporarily out of stock. :( Staples as them on pre sale ,1 to 10 days but that could be a take my money today and delivery someday in the far future.
Hope Asus gets caught up soon and doesn't downgrade the tablet to catch up or to make more money.

That is what samsung did with the 7 in tab ,it looked like the wifi version would be the same as the GT p1000 but without 3g radio and it actually looks from the outside the same but the gpu as been downgraded and who knows what else.I read one review that said the memory speed was also slower
dougeeebear
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by dougeeebear »

Big boxes have the purchasing power to get manufacturers to build their products with certain degraded specs just for them so they can sell them cheaper.
Walmart, Target and Best Buy are prime examples of that.
Buyer beware of the big boxes, and check the product specs carefully.
A43IT / A70IT / A101IT
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

WMTOANDROID wrote:
gottahavit wrote:got mine today. i guess this is what flash is supposed to look like. for 50 dollars over a101 there is no comparison. only thing a101 is better at is 720p avc.
Wait until you get Honeycomb 3.1 this week :)
oh i've had it for 24 hours ;-)
720p avc is now nearly flawless. hdmi 1080p non mirrored and 720p mirrorred both work well.
the tranformer is now just plain superior to the 101 in every meaningful way except usb host which is of little use to me.
still bugs in fw but nothing like the issues with current archos fw.
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

I played with a transformer, Iconia A500, and the Xoom in Staples yesterday and I am in LOVE with the transformer. I really wish I could afford one right now...
A43IT A5IT Transformer Playbook
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

Guess I will have to fire up the Turbo on My Cruiser and head in to town and see if my local Staples as some in stock,since you have them in the far western lands :)
Hellman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Hellman »

My Archos has been both a joy and a bane to me. But mostly a joy. It has soldiered on through the months, and given me no reason to bother with Archos' supposedly horrible customer support. Yet, unless the next one comes out and blows me away for $400, I am eagerly awaiting scrounging up enough money for the eee pad. (They could have done better with the name, though. Makes it sound like a Chinese knock-off of Apple's cash cow.)

Its specs and price makes me drool with want. I envy those of you that have it already.
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

Bought a 16GB EEE Pad yesterday for $340 CDN. I am VERY impressed with this tablet. It's going to my dear old mum as a birthday present on the 12th, so I've got it until then. I'm LOVING Honeycomb and am very excited about the new tablets that are sure to be coming out this summer and fall...
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Does this place sell online? That is a great price, I might pick one up if I can get it online.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

mplant1999 wrote:Bought a 16GB EEE Pad yesterday for $340 CDN. I am VERY impressed with this tablet. It's going to my dear old mum as a birthday present on the 12th, so I've got it until then. I'm LOVING Honeycomb and am very excited about the new tablets that are sure to be coming out this summer and fall...
:) There have been so many Honeycomb apps coming out lately - things are getting very exciting!
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

Harfainx wrote:Does this place sell online? That is a great price, I might pick one up if I can get it online.
It was Staples - they renovated and sent "valued customers" a 15% off coupon to be used on June 9th. I only regret not buying two Eee Pads...
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

mplant1999 wrote:
Harfainx wrote:Does this place sell online? That is a great price, I might pick one up if I can get it online.
It was Staples - they renovated and sent "valued customers" a 15% off coupon to be used on June 9th. I only regret not buying two Eee Pads...
fyi: If you need a dock, there are a few Canadian dealers who are selling them for $115!! Heck of a deal, considering that the battery life is absolutely incredible with it. We set up a tent in the backyard (14'x14') and I'm able to work outside from 9am to 6pm and still have at least 6-9 more hours left!

Return to “Competitors”