Eee Pad Transformer

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by MarcusMarcus »

I really enjoy my Archos 70. I've been disappointed by it a few times and their tech support is a joke, but over all I am glad I got it because it was cheap and I got it months ago and have gotten a lot of good use out of it. I'm looking forward to what their gen 9's actually get, but I will actually be waiting a while to hear user reviews about them instead of being an early adopter.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
archonoid
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by archonoid »

I have never seen someone so utterly obstinate in the face of empirical fact. Although I agree the 101 is a great tablet for the price, there is simply no way it compares to either the Asus Eee Pad Transformer or the Acer Iconia A500 in either (overall) materials used, workmanship, or stability in firmware release. Anyone who suggests otherwise, you might have to consider that either they are being just stubborn and ignorant, which hopefully isn't the case, or their opinion and judgement is being perversely swayed due to unknown reasons by the subject or object of which they are attempting to defend. This is more than likely the case.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/tablets ... C2506%2Cpa

Making your point is one thing, openly trolling your own forum because you are somehow obligated to disagree in a very valid discussion is another.
Archos 101 | Droid X
Harfainx
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Nomad

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by Harfainx »

Every person I know that bought an Acer Iconia (six people now), have returned it within a week.

Mostly complaints of lack of media playback, or general bulk.

I won't say it's bad, but it definitely has it's down-side. Build-quality, materials used, and "stability" don't mean much if you simply can't do the things you want to do, or can't use your device for a long time because it's just too heavy to hold all day.

There is no point in comparing all the devices back and forth. Everyone will argue their opinion, and eventually people will argue, because we all think we're absolutely right while trying to prove our points. Each device has it's own merits, and is either good or bad for you, depending on what you need/want.
archonoid
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by archonoid »

Harfainx,

I completely agree with your viewpoint. If it comes down to user preference when all things are intelligently considered, that's one thing; however, openly and continually disagreeing with someone for completely inane reasons when all they are doing is making valid statements which can be backed up with facts is just plain rude and beside the point. Especially when considering that the person I am making note of, but not mentioning by name, I would assume created the forum to have an open and factually based conversation- not stating untruths over and over again. It really defeats the purpose of the forum and the point attempting to be made, which is to support and discuss a certain product. If "support" means making people angry for no sane purpose, well I guess everyone has a choice to decide whether or not they agree with that definition and whether to post here. I fully believe you understand my point.
Archos 101 | Droid X
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7055
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Location: Copenhagen
Contact:

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by Charbax »

Blah blah blah. Asus Transformer is still $548 if you want to call it a transformer. And it's still just about the same hardware as a 7-month old Viewsonic Gtablet, only difference is a slightly better screen and a new version of the Google software which obviously all other tablet companies are getting access to. And Archos is releasing Arnova 10 rk2918 capacitive in May for $199 or $229, and Gen9 to be announced next month that is over 60% more powerful than this Asus.

Those are the facts.
themikej
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by themikej »

Powerful huh? Will it have powerful stability and build quality?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7055
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Location: Copenhagen
Contact:

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by Charbax »

themikej wrote:Powerful huh? Will it have powerful stability and build quality?
That depends on what you define as build quality. If you define a better build quality as being heavier, thicker, with less features (no kick-stands), less ports (no real HDMI, no USB host), then no.
themikej
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by themikej »

Charbax wrote:
themikej wrote:Powerful huh? Will it have powerful stability and build quality?
That depends on what you define as build quality. If you define a better build quality as being heavier, thicker, with less features (no kick-stands), less ports (no real HDMI, no USB host), then no.
I define build quality as a product working out of the box as advertised as well as being stable weeks and months down the road.
Kickstands are on most every tablet case now so thats no big feature. The HDMI and USB are actually pretty cool and useful. Though wireless blue tooth is much cooler and most quality tablets have accessories for HDMI or Component out capabilities.

Archos wins with features and compactability as well as affordability .
Archos loses with quality, reliability, and durability.

Its all about what you need your tablet for. I just want to turn it on and watch videos, check email, play some games, surf the web.
I want it to work out of the box and work well just to do these things. And I want it to last and have good resell value.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by WMTOANDROID »

I can't wait for gen9 to be released so we can see how it stacks up against the current crop of tablets.

Speed counts for nothing if the device isn't stable, and my Archos 70 was not stable - it was frustrating to use on a daily basis and my ASUS tablet is a joy - 12+ hours a day of productive, stable, flash-enabled joy! Where my Archos replaced my phone, the ASUS has replaced my laptop.

I can't wait to see what Gen9 has to offer.
archonoid
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by archonoid »

The Arnova series is a cheaper version of an already cheap Android tablet. Cheap in comparison with other tablets of the same size and feature set. I am not sure why they keep coming up in this discussion like a rolling billboard advertisement (unless of course that is the point. Maybe someone is just making a few extra $$ from product placement?). They in no way match up to the Asus Transformer which is being reviewed here.

Archos is releasing Arnova 10 rk2918 capacitive in May for $199 or $229! Just saying.
Archos 101 | Droid X
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7055
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Location: Copenhagen
Contact:

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by Charbax »

archonoid wrote:Archos is releasing Arnova 10 rk2918 capacitive in May for $199 or $229! Just saying.
Yeah that proves $548 for an Asus Transformer based on technology anno June 2010 watch my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDNB-2orhsg is highly, highly over-priced.

Sure Honeycomb is freaking awesome and turns any hardware into a work of technological art. That does not change from the fact Asus is way overpriced, perhaps not as overpriced as Motorola and Samsung, but still insanely over-priced and clearly under-featured.
archonoid wrote:Arnova series is a cheaper version of an already cheap Android tablet
Archos definition of cheap is purely a positive one. Archos uses the best technology that makes sense to use and that is available to use on the open market at any given time in technological history.

That means, a full on core focus on value for money.

Archos could have used capacitive 5" and 3G since Gen7 Android released in 2009, but if that ads $300 to the price it is stupid. (which is why nobody bought the Dell Streak)

Archos could have used a 1024x600 7" glass gorilla screen with 3G in Gen8, but if that increases the price to $799 unsubsidized, increases thickness and weight it is stupid. (which is why nobody bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab)

Archos could have used a Tegra2 in Arnova just to have Honeycomb a few weeks earlier, but if that triples the price and removes all points of form factor and feature differentiation it is stupid. (which is why nobody buys the Motorola Xoom)
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by MarcusMarcus »

Charbax wrote:Blah blah blah. Asus Transformer is still $548 if you want to call it a transformer
You need to stop with this argument, seriously. Transformer is its name. It is still the Asus Transformer without the keyboard it just does not transform. The name is still the same. This argument just shows your biasness to Archos and is getting annoying.
Charbax wrote:
themikej wrote:Powerful huh? Will it have powerful stability and build quality?
That depends on what you define as build quality. If you define a better build quality as being heavier, thicker, with less features (no kick-stands), less ports (no real HDMI, no USB host), then no.
I love my Archos and am looking forward to the Gen 8s. but seriously the build quality is not up to par with other companies, but the price makes that OK to me.
Build Quality= does it creak? does it feel flimsy? do part get loose with normal use (kick stand)? can the table/screen take small drops (my archos has, so that seems OK)?
Features= Kick stand, HDMI, USB, Codec support, viewing angle, weight.
Seriously check your definitions.

Edit: forgot stability,
Stability= Does it reboot itself? Does it get stuck in boot loops? Does it lock up? (I have yes to all those but only on the newest firmware)
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
dude73
Archos Novice
Archos Novice
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by dude73 »

being an owner of a A 70 I have to say my new transformer is just the device ive been waiting for got it from pc world for £379 so only £165 more than the A 70
proper flash at last so I can watch catch up tv,browser doesn't keep crashing,loads of app space all my avi video files play all i need to do now is sell A 70 on ebay and get the dock.
as the A70 was my first android tablet I don't think its a bad device but it does suffer from a few glitches but the transformer so far has been a joy to use 8)
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by WMTOANDROID »

Charbax wrote:Yeah that proves $548 for an Asus Transformer based on technology anno June 2010 watch my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDNB-2orhsg is highly, highly over-priced.
Over-priced compared to WHAT? The Xoom? The Acer A500? These are are similarly spec'ed,but the ASUS has a much better IPS screen and an OPTIONAL keyboard dock and still $100 less than the lowest competative unit.

May I ask how much an external, full-size keyboard with a trackpad would cost to add to an archos tablet? Oh, don't forget to add an extra battery, two USB ports and a full-size SD card slot...

For $399, the ASUS is the best value for a high-end tablet - there is no disputing that with speculation on the Arnova, which isn't even out, nore is it something that's been tested by the public... we'll see how Gen9 stacks up when we aren't looking at specs on paper, but actually using the device.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7055
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Location: Copenhagen
Contact:

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by Charbax »

WMTOANDROID wrote:May I ask how much an external, full-size keyboard with a trackpad would cost to add to an archos tablet? Oh, don't forget to add an extra battery, two USB ports and a full-size SD card slot...
I've been using full a sized USB keyboard, mouse, USB hub since the Archos Gen7 released in 2009. Those cost about $12 all inclusive.

The Transformer Dock is a scheme by Asus to make people think they are priced lower, when in fact the only way to use Asus's proprietary dock connector is through a proprietary $150 keyboard dock.

If Archos does a keyboard-dock for Gen9, which I hope that they do. For one it will most likely be sold at maximum $49 even if using the absolute best materials, for second it will most likely not be a proprietary keyboard docking system meaning you can use whichever other keyboard you want, most likely it will be USB keyboard. And thirdly, Archos would use their awesome kick-stand to hold things up and not force people to carry around extra 500 grams in weight just for a keyboard dock.

That extra battery is not there to make battery runtime longer on Asus, it is there because Asus was not able to design it with a thin keyboard as it would not be able to hold up like a laptop if the keyboard was thin and light.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by WMTOANDROID »

Charbax wrote:
WMTOANDROID wrote:May I ask how much an external, full-size keyboard with a trackpad would cost to add to an archos tablet? Oh, don't forget to add an extra battery, two USB ports and a full-size SD card slot...
I've been using full a sized USB keyboard, mouse, USB hub since the Archos Gen7 released in 2009. Those cost about $12 all inclusive.

The Transformer Dock is a scheme by Asus to make people think they are priced lower, when in fact the only way to use Asus's proprietary dock connector is through a proprietary $150 keyboard dock.

If Archos does a keyboard-dock for Gen9, which I hope that they do. For one it will most likely be sold at maximum $49 even if using the absolute best materials, for second it will most likely not be a proprietary keyboard docking system meaning you can use whichever other keyboard you want, most likely it will be USB keyboard. And thirdly, Archos would use their awesome kick-stand to hold things up and not force people to carry around extra 500 grams in weight just for a keyboard dock.

That extra battery is not there to make battery runtime longer on Asus, it is there because Asus was not able to design it with a thin keyboard as it would not be able to hold up like a laptop if the keyboard was thin and light.
Wait a minute, you are taking shortcuts. I asked for a keyboard with trackpad built-in, not a cheap keyboard with USB mouse. Also, how easy is it to use your keyboard setup while in bed or on the sofa?

You can speculate all you like about the extra battery, but the fact is, it will power the tablet for twice as long as any archos device. If you look at the price of an extra laptop or netbook battery + a real keyboar/trackpad combo, you'll see that the ASUS keyboard dock is a good value.

"Awesome kickstand"? LOL... I lived in fear of breaking the kickstand on my archos because of how cheap and flimsy it was. The ipad stands I see for cheap online do a much better job and can be used in portrait or landscape.
themikej
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by themikej »

Thinking about it, if Archos just spent another 50$ on materials, workmanship, and software/hardware reliability, and sold their tablets for that much more, it would seem that they'd be in serious competition here in the States with the other tablets that we have to choose from.

Because Archos prices are seriously lower than any other "name brand" tablets it seems they have room to move. I don't understand why this company doesn't just put a little bit more quality and quality control into their tablets. Its a shame.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by WMTOANDROID »

themikej wrote:Thinking about it, if Archos just spent another 50$ on materials, workmanship, and software/hardware reliability, and sold their tablets for that much more, it would seem that they'd be in serious competition here in the States with the other tablets that we have to choose from.

Because Archos prices are seriously lower than any other "name brand" tablets it seems they have room to move. I don't understand why this company doesn't just put a little bit more quality and quality control into their tablets. Its a shame.
They can't price them higher. A few days after getting my A70, i realized that there was an Elocity tablet available for $50 more... a Tegra dual-core cpu, vibration, light sensor, 512mb ram device with extras to spare for just $50 more. The Elocity is in a class of its own vs the archos, so Archos has to have some incentive for the customer and price is it.
archonoid
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by archonoid »

Archos could have used capacitive 5" and 3G since Gen7 Android released in 2009, but if that ads $300 to the price it is stupid. (which is why nobody bought the Dell Streak)
Archos could have used a 1024x600 7" glass gorilla screen with 3G in Gen8, but if that increases the price to $799 unsubsidized, increases thickness and weight it is stupid. (which is why nobody bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab)
Archos could have used a Tegra2 in Arnova just to have Honeycomb a few weeks earlier, but if that triples the price and removes all points of form factor and feature differentiation it is stupid. (which is why nobody buys the Motorola Xoom)
Last time I looked the title of this discussion was "Eee Pad Transformer", so where is this device mentioned in any of your example rants?

Also I find your arguments completely laughable because I have seen your other posts and some of the work you have done and it appears you're a smart person- so these stubborn, one sided, avoid-the-facts arguments you make must either be your form of amusement, or Archos is holding your family hostage. That's the only sane reasons I can conceive.

One thing I wish you would get straight, because even my grandma could Google this to verify the numbers, is the price of the Transformer. It is $399 for the tablet. You keep quoting it with the notebook peripheral in trying to emphasize your point; however your comparison is invalid. The peripheral is an add-on. So using your logic, the 101 is $409.98. This is for the 16GB 101 tablet @ 349.99 (Transformer is 16GB) AND the case with the integrated keyboard @ 59.99 (http://www.newmp3technology.com/archos- ... d-case.htm).

By the way I personally consider gen8 cheap for 2 reasons- the first RMA for the bezel coming unglued around the screen, and now the second RMA for backlight failure. Both within a 6 month period. I would say "cheap" if this happened to any company's product, not just Archos'. AND to be fair I've stated before that these lower cost tablets do have a place in the market, but that is not to say that Archos couldn't take some efforts in making sure their designs and production runs are being properly inspected for quality.
Archos 101 | Droid X
archonoid
Archos User
Archos User
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by archonoid »

and by the way, when I stated "Archos is releasing Arnova 10 rk2918 capacitive in May for $199 or $229! Just saying.", I was being sarcastic. I figured I would also mention it in every post regardless of logic to see if Archos sends me any $ for the mention :)
Archos 101 | Droid X
Post Reply

Return to “Competitors”