Eee Pad Transformer

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Eee Pad Transformer

Post by MikeeWeird »

Could be old news to some but I just saw that today.
This could be the pad for me.

http://promos.asus.com/US/PR_2011/Trans ... index.html

Especially with the optional keyboard /dock.Sound like it would give it a lot of life on the road
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Eee Pad Transformer

Post by WMTOANDROID »

MikeeWeird wrote:Could be old news to some but I just saw that today.
This could be the pad for me.

http://promos.asus.com/US/PR_2011/Trans ... index.html

Especially with the optional keyboard /dock.Sound like it would give it a lot of life on the road
If the rumored price on Amazon.ca is in fact $399, I will be ordering this tablet. The keyboard feature is a nice touch, but getting a honeycomb tablet with those specs at a reasonable price is fantastic news.
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by xfirex »

It's nice, but the new rumor is $799.
I guess it can be purchased with or without the dock, the $799 is for both.
Give me Liberty or Structured Notes
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

xfirex wrote:It's nice, but the new rumor is $799.
I can't imagine an Eee product selling for that much. Asus netbooks with windows sell for under $300 and a tablet should be no more than $400 without the keyboard.

Best buy also listed this device for $399 before taking it down. We shall see.
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

If it came with keyboard dock and 3g ,even at 799 with the specks it carries I would still be tempted.I have been purchasing Asus products for over a decade and I have a lot of respect for that company.

But it as to be Bell 3G compatible or (spits on the ground and curses :badgrin:)Rogers

http://www.pdfdevices.com/asus-eee-pad- ... nd-ipad-2/

an on hand review, with a reference to Archos

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/r ... Preview/p1
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by xfirex »

WMTOANDROID wrote:
xfirex wrote:It's nice, but the new rumor is $799.
I can't imagine an Eee product selling for that much. Asus netbooks with windows sell for under $300 and a tablet should be no more than $400 without the keyboard.

Best buy also listed this device for $399 before taking it down. We shall see.
I hope it is lower than that, but it's always the same deal, we see and hear those low prices until reality sets in.

I have bought a lot of Asus products over the years, can't say any of them were less then 1st. quality.

Actually I bought an Asus eeepc 1000H netbook when they first came out. They were $550 with the extended battery.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

xfirex wrote:I hope it is lower than that...
If they end up being less than $399, I might have to get two :)

I'm quite surprised to hear that the Asus products are such high quality. I honestly considered them a second-tier manufacturer, but I've never owned their products. I'm glad to hear they make good product :)
melax
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by melax »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Transforme ... 822&sr=8-1

It is up now on the Amazon in the UK
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

That's about $700.00 USD :|
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

Nice to see it bundled with the Dock,16 hrs of life as advertised, should be good for 12 :) but no mention of mobile 3g+ :(

" optional cards up to 32 GB (functionality requires future software upgrade)" why do they always release a product before it is complete [-X
xfirex
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by xfirex »

$700, but the UK price is always higher than US, so maybe around $600-625?

The dock was supposed to be about $100, "should" put the tablet around $500-525.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

xfirex wrote:$700, but the UK price is always higher than US, so maybe around $600-625?

The dock was supposed to be about $100, "should" put the tablet around $500-525.
At $500, I'll pass on this. If it ever pops up for $399 in North America again, I'm all over it! =D>
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

With the keyboard dock it's very very heavy. And doesn't seem totally smooth docking design to me. $550 is ridiculously expensive. But it sure is cool as it's the worlds first Honeycomb laptop: http://armdevices.net/2011/02/28/worlds ... ebit-2011/
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

In the Philippines, if you include the customs taxes and vat, we're closer to the European price, so it's a good measuring stick actually.

The Archos 101 16Gig is around 20,000php. Which is about 350euros.

Following that trend, if the Transformer turns out to be more than 20k (Likely, it'll be atleast 30k), i'll just keep waiting for something else.
enthalpy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by enthalpy »

WMTOANDROID wrote:
xfirex wrote:$700, but the UK price is always higher than US, so maybe around $600-625?
At $500, I'll pass on this. If it ever pops up for $399 in North America again, I'm all over it! =D>
But I am pretty sure the dock includes additional battery. That adds to the price and the weight. And to the battery life. It's a trade off. Advantages and disadvantages. Yum, honeycomb.

I like the asus specs a lot, and it prefer to have a real keyboard available for heavy typing (whether arches or ASIs or iPad). So the design looks like a good one to me. When I want to save weight I will use the soft keyboard.
A5A 16GB,BT kbd,DVRdock..A101 RMA'd
zillah
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by zillah »

I will most likely be getting this. I really like the idea of turning my tablet into a net-book when needed. (and the honeycomb OS definitely performs in that respect w/ asus's added software) What sold me though, is the price. And the form factor. My Archos 101 did its job, but its now time to get a real tablet.
tmc
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by tmc »

HIgh end tablet pricing is way out of line.. much like toady's gasoline prices.. but obviously there are many talking heads in the media justifying that every day... you won't find as many takers for the $800+ tablet argument. There are some rumblings that since so many tablet makers are entering the market prices have to come down.. unless these companies want to send their tablets to the ladfills rather than sell for too low a price.

One day the economy will bounce back and spending around $1k on fancy electronics might make a comeback.. but that's not gonna happen for several years down the road. Average incomes are well below normal with decreased buying power due to the cost of energy/living.
WMTOANDROID
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by WMTOANDROID »

Looks like my Archos 70 has it's days numbered... 5 to be exact. The Transformer comes out on the 26th and my Archos will be liquidated soon after... :lol:
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

WMTOANDROID wrote:Looks like my Archos 70 has it's days numbered... 5 to be exact. The Transformer comes out on the 26th and my Archos will be liquidated soon after... :lol:
Transformer is $550 with keyboard? It weighs more than a netbook with the keyboard? It's fat? Nvidia Tegra2 is nearly outdated?
VipFREAK
Archos User
Archos User

Post by VipFREAK »

Oh... $550... FAIL PASS.

Return to “Competitors”