Samsung Galaxy Player 4 and 5 Come This Spring

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
yumms
Archos User
Archos User

Samsung Galaxy Player 4 and 5 Come This Spring

Post by yumms »

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/sams ... is-spring/

Looks to be better than A43 in every way...we'll need to wait to see what the price is through.

upright_man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Samsung Galaxy Player 4 and 5 Come This Spring

Post by upright_man »

that 5 looks like a replacement to my archos 5...
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

The 5" version is bound to have at least 512MB of RAM, a higher system storage limit (ie one that is useful) and could well go as high as Honeycomb, but definitely to 2.4 (or so I'd wager). It does indeed look like my next purchase. My wife is off to Korea on business in April (unless the situation in Japan gets worse WRT nuclear meltdowns, etc.); I wonder if A.) the 5" version will be available there in mid-April and B.) if she'd buy me one... Possibly "yes" to the first question and almost definitely "no" to the second :cry:

Anyway, still loving my A5. The A43IT is going to one of my kids. I like it a lot, but the build quality sucks compared to the A5. If only Archos would release 2.x for the A5 and increase system storage limit while they do it, I wouldn't be considering straying...
A43IT A5IT Transformer Playbook
marcel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by marcel »

I'm waiting for a test after it's released, but this does look interesting. Not to be confused with the player 50, whcih gets a complete slating everywhere! also interested in the 5inch archos gen 9 when it's specs are released. 7inch devices are too big for easy portability, ( but I got a cheap sony portable DVD player, ans I do love the screen size) but don't want smaller than 5 inch.

gonna be a tough one to choose between them.

marcel
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

marcel wrote:I'm waiting for a test after it's released, but this does look interesting. Not to be confused with the player 50, whcih gets a complete slating everywhere! also interested in the 5inch archos gen 9 when it's specs are released. 7inch devices are too big for easy portability, ( but I got a cheap sony portable DVD player, ans I do love the screen size) but don't want smaller than 5 inch.

gonna be a tough one to choose between them.

marcel
There are a few reviews scattered across the web, most of them on YouTube. I found this one to be quite good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g1mJHOXcgI
marcel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by marcel »

thanks for the link, it looks really good, archos are in for a fight with this one I reckon.

No idea of when it comes to the uk?

marcel
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

Heh, heh - no offence, Marcel, but who cares about when it's going to launch in the UK :lol: ? The more pressing question is when it's going to launch in Canada. The only given is that it will be long after it has launched the UK launch :mad:
themikej
Archos User
Archos User

Post by themikej »

This looks very interesting. I'd like to have the 5" version of the device. Two things that would cause me to let my ipod touch go. One is good battery life. The other is build quality which I expect to be good coming from Samsung. Koreans have more pride in their work. If this is nice enough, I'd prefer this unit over my 7 inch tablet too. 7 inch is slightly too large for daily portability. Excited to see these though. A competitor to Archos and Apple is a good thing. I don't think its late because a lot of customers like myself don't care about waiting for the honeycomb on my device because in a year or less their will be a new operating system promising to fix honeycombs huge bugs.
exelletor
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by exelletor »

"The front panel has an auxiliary camera. The tablet looks decent, but that's it. It is a typical work horse. I am sure Sony would have invented a particular design and Apple would have added aluminium. Samsung merely produced an everyday device, which is too easily soiled."

In the 4" review(not available in english) they critisized the plastic white cover and they said that 4" easily falls from your hands.

(c) http://mobile-review.com/articles/2011/ ... 5-en.shtml

If we will get 2.3 update for Gen8, I don't see why you would have to pay 150$ dollars more for a Galaxy S Wi-fi 5 or 50$ more for the 4"(compared to 43IT). I would never get 4" - it has poor battery life, no hdmi, no kickstand and it's plastic.
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

Woot.com had the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 wifi 8GB on sale yesterday for $169.99 + $5 shipping. If you don't count the shipping cost of either the Samsung or the Archos 43, I was able to get the Samsung Galaxy player for $10 less.
What I was really wanting was a 4-5" wifi only android device with a capacitive screen. The 43 has resistive screen and that is why I got the Archos 70 instead of the 43. Those are the 2 main things I wanted as well as a decent processor and RAM. I enjoy my Archos 70 but the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 wifi has 512MB RAM, front and rear facing cameras, LED flash, Android Market access without having to install a hack (which is easy on Archos but still extra steps), FM radio, and GPS. The cameras, radios and GPS were not things I was looking for but they are nice extras that I am sure I will be using.
It only has Android 2.2 Froyo and their website mentions nothing about upgradable to 2.3, but I'm OK with that. I was a little disappointed when I found out Archos Gen9 would not have a 4-5" device but it is their Honeycomb line, which does not support those screen sizes, so I was OK with that. I was just going to see what Archos offered for their Gen10 line seeing as Ice Cream sandwich (or whatever Android version is out then) seeing as they should support that size of screen I was looking for. But I could not pass this Woot deal up. Plus, I know Honeycomb is designed with tablets in mind, but I honestly think Froyo interface works well as a tablet OS on my Archos.
Anyways, I'll be keeping my Archos for movies and reading at home, but I'll be carrying my Galaxy Player around with me all the time. Will report back when I receive it and get a chance to play around with it.
http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite ... _main.html

Also: Skinomi.com has screen protectors and skins for the Galaxy player if you don't like the looks of the player or you think it is hard to hold. I got the wood skin for my Archos and it added to the grip-ability. I just order the screen protector for the galaxy player though as I like the looks of the device.

EDIT: They removed the website I linked to. They have a new website up and it does say the device has Android 2.3.5
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-pl ... G70CWY/XAA
Last edited by MarcusMarcus on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
rap
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rap »

These are out now in the US. If these had been out a year ago (when they were first announced), I probably would have got one. The specs are much better. I downloaded the user manual and it is even better. Much better than the archos and tells you a little how to set up the apps if you aren't already familiar with Android. Of course all of these devices seem to have their quirks or problems but what I've heard so far is pretty good. Can't justify the $$$ right now unfortunately when I have a 43 already.
exelletor
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by exelletor »

If these had been out a year ago (when they were first announced), I probably would have got one.
Congrats to Samsung for delaying a product for an year. Now we only have to wait a year for Gingebread to come.
The specs are much better.
Archos has the kickstand, metal finish, original design, better battery life, slightly better support for codecs/subtitles(though you have to pay 15EUR) and HDMI. Samsung has a better camera and a better screen(would like to have that on my 43IT).
I downloaded the user manual and it is even better. Much better than the archos and tells you a little how to set up the apps if you aren't already familiar with Android.
Ever been here?
http://www.archos.com/manuals/A43_EN_v1.htm
Of course all of these devices seem to have their quirks or problems but what I've heard so far is pretty good. Can't justify the $$$ right now unfortunately when I have a 43 already.
The price for 5.0 8GB in Europe is 199EUR. And, I have to admit, that for this price I would love to have it nearly a year ago when I bought the 43IT. However it was not yet available... If I would have the choice now, I would get it, despite the 43IT now available for 140EUR(8GB). Now, having 43IT, I will wait for Archos to release a smartphone.
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

exelletor wrote:
If these had been out a year ago (when they were first announced), I probably would have got one.
Congrats to Samsung for delaying a product for an year. Now we only have to wait a year for Gingebread to come.
Gingerbread is already out for it, I have it running on mine.
exelletor wrote:
The specs are much better.
Archos has the kickstand, metal finish, original design, better battery life, slightly better support for codecs/subtitles(though you have to pay 15EUR) and HDMI. Samsung has a better camera and a better screen(would like to have that on my 43IT).
I don't have an Archos 43 but compared to my Archos 70, I like the HDMI out, front facing speakers and the kickstand on my Archos 70 but the build quality is much lower when I compare it to my Samsung 5 inch. Battery life on the Samsung was about the same when it was running Froyo, but after updating the Samsung to Gingerbread, the battery life is better than the Archos. Codec support is better but the Samsung has been able to play all the videos I have tried. The Screen is better on the Samsung because it is Capacitive (compared to the 43), clearer picture, and has 4 point multi touch compared to the 2 point multi touch of the 70. The samsung has twice the RAM. Not only has better camera, but better cameras (it has both front and rear facing cameras). The Samsung runs smoother and quicker and have never had any crashes or reboots (not like my Archos). Archos does put out more firmware updates than Samsung, but that is not really a good thing. Archos has put out multiple firmware updates and most have not been very stable updates (most recent is the best though). Samsung has only put out 1 update and that updated the device from froyo to gingerbread. Both froyo and gingerbread ran stable.

EDIT: Samsung also has built in GPS, vibration feature, and Android Market by default compared to the Archos Gen8s. Though my Archos 70 works very well with my Bluetooth GPS receiver and the market hack is easy to install on Archos.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

MarcusMarcus, did you get the Samsung 5 during the WOOT sale. I wished I scored one at that time but I missed it.

I still hope Archos gets back into the 5 inch market but I do not know if they will. A nice 5 inch and 7-8 inch tablet combo would cover all my travel needs.
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

Yes I got mine from woot. Absolutely love this thing. The ones from woot came with froyo by default. Best buy has them (about $100 dolars more than woot sold them for) and those come with Gingerbread by default. If Archos would have made the 43 capacative when the gen8s came out, I would have gotten that instead of the 70. I was going to wait until Archos came out with a 4-5 inch capacitive tablet to get one, but when woot offered this Samsung I could not pass it up. So glad I didn't either. I still like to have my 70 for around the house. I always have my Samsung Galaxy Player with me. I still hope Archos comes out with these size of device in the future because they tend to have lower prices with out having to wait for a deal like this. I would actually like to have a 5 inch tablet for portability and a 8-10 inch 4:3 tablet (like the g9 80) to have around the house for reading and web surfing, but can't justify buying one when the Archos 70 gets the job done.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

I missed the WOOT sale becase WOOT won't ship to Canada :cry:

I have an A5IT and an A43IT and I would still like to have the Samsung Galaxy Player 5...
Ate_Bit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Ate_Bit »

I missed the woot sale as well, but I picked one up (the 5") at Best Buy last week.
There are a few minor differences between the international version that woot sold and the normal US version.
The US version has Gingerbread, all of the other versions are still on froyo. (I hear this may change soon, though.)
The US version has all capacitive buttons, while the international / original Korean versions have a hard button for HOME.
There is no HDMI on the US, but some of the other versions do.

I have to say I am really in love with this thing. It makes my A70 feel incredibly slow.
I don't know exactly what it is that makes this so responsive, but it rocks.

Compared to my A70, this has Gingerbread 2.3.5 instead of FroYo.
It has 512MB of RAM instead of 256MB, but only 384MB is available to Android. I've heard that the other 128MB is allocated to the graphics, but I don't know this for sure.
The screen quality on this is awesome compared to my A70S. Same resolution, but sharp and bright.
It has about 2GB allocated to app space instead of about 250MB.

The 4" version of this has a Super Clear LCD and the 5" is just called a regular LCD, but it is still remarkable.
The 4" version also has a removable battery just like a cell phone. The 5" unfortunately does not.

Of course, just like our Gen8's, the future of them with regards to ICS remains to be seen.

But I will say, I really love the "user experience" on the Samsung Galaxy Player...
5IMT, A70S v2.4.81 HW v7, SGP 5.0
rap
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rap »

What's the quality of the camera? Can it actually scan a bar code?

Can it see pretty much all the apps in the market without missing the protected apps? I have more and more apps I can use because they aren't compatible according to the market. I don't know if they are protected or trying to use some capability the A43 doesn't have like a GPS or phone.

Would love the 2GB for apps without rooting.
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

@rap,
The camera quality is OK to me. It can scan bar codes with no problem (I only had trouble with 1 bar code, but the bar code was very dirty)
It does not see all the apps in the market, but it sees more than my Archos 70. A lot of launchers are missing from the Market for me but the developers tend to put the APKs on their website. Which apps are protected apps? I can look and see if they show up on mine if you would like.
The 2GB app space is really really nice.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
rap
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rap »

Some of the apps I can't get to now that I used to be able to (I had to send my original in then got back a new one and rooted it to get the app space)
Grocery IQ (so missing this one)
My movies
K-Love
MyHumana Mobile

Some I never got working on A43 or never tried
Grocery King
CamScanner

All of these come us as incompatible with my device.

Return to “Competitors”