ipad 2 is here

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: ipad 2 is here

Post by mplant1999 »

tbirdman - one factor that I should have noted is that being a live demo model, the darned thing was tethered (in a physical sense - a retractable wire security cable!) which probably contributed to its "unwieldliness". At any rate, the thing that surprised me the most was the weight - it felt much heavier than its looks led me to believe. At $519 for the 16GB wi-fi model, I'd still be tempted, but I'd like to have more time with a unit that isn't tethered.
A43IT A5IT Transformer Playbook
tbirdman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tbirdman »

That may have been a heavy wire :D I can see where tethered wired might have made it difficult to hold.
enthalpy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by enthalpy »

MikeeWeird wrote:I am an old man ,I need a product that works as advertised right out of the box.Reading this forum with all the "this is what you have to do" "upgrade this" "reinstall that " and all the other baggage as scared me from buying the Archos tablet.
Even Archos lack of 3g onboard is a big minus for me,yes you can tethered but with Bell that would be to costly,1g of data is 65 bucks and God save you if you go over your plan.A tablet plan is 35 bucks for 5 g and you can refill your bucket or wait for the beginning of the month for an auto refill ,no chance of a costly overage .Nearest wifi hotspot is 30 miles away :(
I need a tablet that works out of the box and internet access,at a reasonable price, on the road ,at the moment Archos can not do that.
Good discussion. Everyone has different needs. My out of box experience with the iPad 2 is: very polished, but until I add several key apps, it's not fully useful. Now that I've done that(apps) the ipad2 is a fun and useful machine. It's the same with archos. Everyone needs to find the apps that are most useful to them. luckily both have thousands of apps to make it work.
A5A 16GB,BT kbd,DVRdock..A101 RMA'd
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

Played with another iPad 2 and an iPad side by side yesterday and was more impressed with the weight and ergonomics of the iPad 2 than previously (the display shelf was at a better height and I was able to hold the unit in my hands, clear of the shelf without the tethering wire being in the way). I *think* either would be fine for my use, and am, as always, impressed by the build quality.

I've just figured out how to extend the usefulness of my A5IT so am sitting on the fence on the tablet debate for now - ie, will wait for competitors to get more product out and for prices to come down... Apple's going in the right direction, though - their pricing seems downright reasonable now. Or, have I just gotten used to $450+ for a tablet?
A43IT A5IT Transformer Playbook
Simplename
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Simplename »

Comparing the 101 and the ipad is really a quagmire from the start. You cannot possibly tout the greatness of the ipad over the 101 simply by saying it works better. A BMW will work many times better and feel much more smooth with a much greater performance, but it is a BMW...not a Corolla. As well, you are citing a defective device (my A70 has not had any big issues whatsoever, for 3 months now) in the comparison. You can talk to some defective ipad 2 owners as well. Then compare. Plus, the BMW/Corolla analogy doesn't even take into account the fact that Android affords an enormous amount of freedom. The Archos can be a stand-alone device.The iPad can not. I can download whatever I please on the Archos. Literally, anything I can download on the PC, I can download on the Archos (NO SYNC!). Also, I can change around my home screen, adding all sorts of widgets and be able to position apps pretty much how I please. I don't need a proprietary plug to move things to my Archos. I already have a stand, so no need for a $30 add-on and HDMI is already set to go (again, no proprietary plug). Nevermind the fact that the iPad is on a completely locked down app store. I can install absolutely any app on the Archos available from any place on the internet (or from other people's apk files). All of this Android goodness is countered by the sometimes slow, sometimes unresponsive Archos hardware, but i personally could never by a locked down Apple after witnessing the versatility of Android. And of course, what about the $200 discount?!? That is HUGE! I got my A70 for half the price of the iPad and I can do dozens of things the iPad can't.

But this is just my personal experience. if the 101 was seriously THAT bad, I can't knock you for the switch. I'd be pissed too. But from my viewpoint, the Archos has made up for its occasional sluggishness with the capability to do pretty much anything a processor its size could take. In fact, right now I am converting my interface to look like an iPad! I've downloaded icons (right to the Archos, no sync) and am replacing the stock ones with whatever ones I feel like putting there. AND I'm changing the labeling. Dolphin just became Safari. Try doing that on a stock iPad.

Oh, and hello archosfans forums. Been wandering around for 6 months now. Glad to finally take the dive in.
davemonfl
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by davemonfl »

tbirdman wrote:As I said there will be cheaper tablets, but the Ipad experience is just light years ahead of what is out there right now. Definitely you need to look at the sum of the parts.
Yup iPad 2 is pretty darn slick!!! Great for people that want to just use a tablet and not fuss with it, like kids, grandparents, non-techie types....

I've had an iPad 2 now for a while but it's mostly used by my daughter, I still use my Archos A70 because I like how small and light it is to hold while surfing, reading, etc. Lucky for me I decided to stick with 2.1.08 instead of going to 2.3.26, sounds like that fw has been a nightmare for many. Only issues I have with A70 (using adw.launcher) is that when I am downloading a TV episode from Stage Vu and I try to do TV out to watch something I've already downloaded it locks up. So, I just stop downloading before hooking to TV. Having the A70 hooked to big LCD TV's HDMI port and using rii bluetooth keyboard with built in track pad from the couch is totally awesome for a little tablet like the A70.
Archos70
Archos101
iPad 2
Acer A100
syounger64
Archos User
Archos User

Post by syounger64 »

Hi...I had an Archos 101 since November. This is my second Archos device after the 7HT Home tablet.The 101 is a huge step up above the home tablet. There's so many things I can do with the tablet that I can't do with an ipad or ipad 2.

My beloved 101 was sent away for an RMA last week for screen distortion. I had the opportunity to play with a ipad 2 that I got from work for the past few days.

First I agree 100 percent about both pros and cons about both devices. It is ultimately a personal choice. I just dislike the ipad 2 bec I couldn't visit my favorite websites due to lack of flash. What bothers me the most is that there was NO compensation for not supporting flash. Also EVERYTHING on the apple stuff is thru the itune/app store. That's great for assuring some standards or quality but not great for real choice. I admit that the app store is great for choices and a breeze to use.

I record my tv shows via mp4 files which I can view on my 101. There is NO way I can take my shows with me on an ipad recorded directly from my tivo hd? That is an epic fail for me.

No USB port on the IPAD 2 is a big minus for me but I suspect that it will not be a must in my near future with the amount of storage you can do online via "cloud".

The video chat option is ready to use on the IPAD but I don't know whats going on with the 101.

As for the screen, IPAD 2 seems to be better overall but these are different kinds of screens with diff specs. It's not like I'm going to put down the IPAD 2 and pick up the 101 and say "arrrggh my eyes! I can't use the 101 any more!"

If you really want to compare the IPAD 2 with an android tablet...I think a good comparison is the IPAD 2 vs the ACER Iconia tablet. I played with it in Best Buy and walked away thinking after playing with my friends' galaxy tablet and the Xoom that the ACER Iconia is THE IPAD 2 killer.

I think if ppl dont want to upgrade and change stuff on a tablet should go with an IPAD. Other ppl like me who like to have choices and upgrade would prefer the 101 or something better.

That's my 2 cents.
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

syounger64 wrote:Hi...I had an Archos 101 since November. This is my second Archos device after the 7HT Home tablet.The 101 is a huge step up above the home tablet. There's so many things I can do with the tablet that I can't do with an ipad or ipad 2.

My beloved 101 was sent away for an RMA last week for screen distortion. I had the opportunity to play with a ipad 2 that I got from work for the past few days.

First I agree 100 percent about both pros and cons about both devices. It is ultimately a personal choice. I just dislike the ipad 2 bec I couldn't visit my favorite websites due to lack of flash. What bothers me the most is that there was NO compensation for not supporting flash. Also EVERYTHING on the apple stuff is thru the itune/app store. That's great for assuring some standards or quality but not great for real choice. I admit that the app store is great for choices and a breeze to use.

I record my tv shows via mp4 files which I can view on my 101. There is NO way I can take my shows with me on an ipad recorded directly from my tivo hd? That is an epic fail for me.

No USB port on the IPAD 2 is a big minus for me but I suspect that it will not be a must in my near future with the amount of storage you can do online via "cloud".

The video chat option is ready to use on the IPAD but I don't know whats going on with the 101.

As for the screen, IPAD 2 seems to be better overall but these are different kinds of screens with diff specs. It's not like I'm going to put down the IPAD 2 and pick up the 101 and say "arrrggh my eyes! I can't use the 101 any more!"

If you really want to compare the IPAD 2 with an android tablet...I think a good comparison is the IPAD 2 vs the ACER Iconia tablet. I played with it in Best Buy and walked away thinking after playing with my friends' galaxy tablet and the Xoom that the ACER Iconia is THE IPAD 2 killer.

I think if ppl dont want to upgrade and change stuff on a tablet should go with an IPAD. Other ppl like me who like to have choices and upgrade would prefer the 101 or something better.

That's my 2 cents.
Good write up,I am one of the ones that does not need or want to have to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading,

My Gt is the same now as day one except for a couple of apps,My Backup,Aldiko,Active Clear and Fast Reboot

I have 5 gigs of music
I have 500 books on it
I have over 100 mp4 tv shows
assorted games for the grand kids and the youngster in me :)
It browses the web flawlessly ,does skype and my mail.

Cant see wanting more for a road pad although I will probably purchase the EEE pad for home use to replace my Windows ME laptop :)
Webb
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Webb »

Thank God when I ordered my Archos 101,something went wrong and the transaction could not be done,so I waited and just last week I got my iPad 2 32GB and a leather case for it.

This thing is beautiful Super responsive ( I tested at BestBuy against the Xoom before buying it ) Could not be happier.Looking forward for the 3rd Gen iPad.

Return to “Competitors”