Info and analysis of Archos competitors
Hellman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ipad 2 is here

Post by Hellman »

And it's available on March 11th.

Only a few changes, though.

Dual cameras, dual core A5 1ghz processor, same battery life, wifi or 3G, and same storage options. Surprisingly, same entry price of $500.

The competition just got a little tougher in the tablet market. I wonder how Android tabs will fare.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: ipad 2 is here

Post by gte105u »

Doubt it effects much with the Android tabs. Everyone knows that Apple uses top-notch hardware, so beefing that up will not impact the others looking for a cheaper option. The cameras is the biggest factor to help, but will only impact the top-of-the-line tablets like the Xoom and Galaxy. If you were only going to spend $300, you are not suddenly going to double that for what they changed. If you were going to spend $600 anyway, them having 2 cameras now may sway you away from a Galaxy or Xoom to the iPad.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
Hellman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Hellman »

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. The Xoom is probably in some trouble.
tbirdman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tbirdman »

I tried and I tried, but finally sold my Archos 101. It stuttered, it locked up, it lost email settings. Everytime I showed it to people it locked up. The screen was terrible. :(

I picked up a 32GB WiFi Ipad 2 yesterday. The first time use was overwhelming. It was like going from a Yugo to a Mercedes and the Yugo was in the repair shop. The out of the box experience was terrific. A screen that actually has viewing angles. Since I had been using the 101, the screen difference almost brought tears to my eyes. A snappy browser with no stalls. Went to ESPN.com. The have a version of the website for an IPAD. Videos played great. Clicked on the youtube icon. Instant gratification. I knew the additional money spent was well worth it. Not one lock up. Not one hiccup. Turn the Ipad, and the screen instantly flips from portrait to landscape.

Grant it the 101 is about half the price and has some features that would be nice on the Ipad, but the delta is well worth it. I did like the weight of the 101. The Ipad 2 is lighter than Ipad 1, but you cna tell the difference with the 101. I wished Apple would use plastic on the back to lighten the unit. The other features I wished for was a kick stand and a micro sd card slot.

For those who are pinching pennies, the A101 will work, but not for me. I have gone over to the dark side. :p
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Minimum price with HDMI and that magnetic kick-stand thing is $580 for an ipad2. By the time Apple ships online orders, the Arnova 10 with rk29/capacitive will be out, about same as 101IT but for $199 and with even better 1080p 30mbitps all codecs playback. That means Arnova 10 rk29/capacitive is about 3x cheaper than the ipad2. If you absolutely want dual-core tablet, wait another few months for Gen9, and that will for sure for real take advantage of that extra processing power, the way it's supposed to be used, and still remaining about half the price of ipad2.
tbirdman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tbirdman »

As I said there will be cheaper tablets, but the Ipad experience is just light years ahead of what is outthere right now. Definitely you need to look at the sum of the parts.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

tbirdman wrote:As I said there will be cheaper tablets, but the Ipad experience is just light years ahead of what is outthere right now. Definitely you need to look at the sum of the parts.
That is just completely ridiculous.

1. A Tablet is a bunch of icons and things that happen when you click the icons. Those things happen near instantly no matter what OS you use. Ergo, iPad certainly DOES NOT have a better software.

2. Honeycomb is the FIRST and ONLY real Tablet OS yet released, reason being it has MUCH BETTER widgets, APIs, Multi-tasking, on-screen buttons and shortcuts, task notification management THAN ANY OTHER OS. Meaning Honeycomb is by definition 100x better than iOS 4.3. And you can't even be sure Apple will fix any of that with iOS 5.

3. As for the other parts, iPad2 has about the same screen as previous iPad, actually there are reports that iPad2 has a defective screen with leaking backlight and yellow spots. And Apple HAS LOST its early monopoly on large capacitive touch screens. Any Android maker can now use cheap and high quality capacitive touch screens at just about all sizes and resolutions. And even the 7" and 10.1" capacitive that Archos used on Gen8 since about 6 months ago have just awesomely fine quality to them. And speaking about the other parts, things like HDMI, USB host, Kick-stand, lighter weight, better front facing speakers, still much better video and audio codecs support make the Archos Gen8 still better than iPad2.
tbirdman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tbirdman »

Hey this is just my feelings after using a 101 and now an Ipad. In my personal use, he Ipad is light years ahead. yes it is more expensive, but I feel that it is worth the extra cost. All I know is more responsive, don't have to tilt the screen to get decent viewing angles etc. Not one lock up since having it for three days vs probably one an hour for the 101.

Before I bought the Ipd I used the 101 for over two months so I feel I'm qualified to make these statements.

And maybe there are defects out on some Ipad, but geez the quality of the 101 was very much inferior to the Ipad. You are just are overjoyed because you heard that there were some quality issues. I have no defects and the screen and the touch pad blows away the 101. maybe I got the only defect free Ipad. :lol: My analysis is subjective and takes into account the sum of the parts. I have not use Honeycomb so it may be better in some respects, but iOS4.3 is fine for me.

Ah the joy of using a tablet and not having it look up. :badgrin:
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

Congratulations, tbirdman, I"m glad that you've found a solution that you are happy with. Nothing else mattters - if you are happy with your purchase, the price and the product, this story has a happy ending.

I am appreciating more and more that for my own usage of a tablet, features like HDMI out are not nearly as important as I thought that they would be. I think even Apple's lack of microSD/SD expansion is less an issue than I had initially thought it would be... Price is an issue for me, but with new products being released over the coming months and with Honeycomb now out, I think prices will drop over the next year as more companies release products. I can wait... However, if I had to have a tablet RIGHT now, the iPad2 would be a contender, as would the Xoom, the Playbook, and the Galaxy Tab.
A43IT A5IT Transformer Playbook
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

mplant1999 wrote:this story has a happy ending
The story has barely started, within months Android tablets will by far be the dominating tablet ecosystem.
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

Charbax wrote:
mplant1999 wrote:this story has a happy ending
The story has barely started, within months Android tablets will by far be the dominating tablet ecosystem.
The story I was referring to is tbirdman's... Re: Android tablets, I agree. However, I think the story is larger than that - Windows and RIM tablets are also starting to trickle out so the market is heating up. Choice and competition are good!

I'm really looking forward to Archos' premium line coming out in the summer.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Windows is dead and RIM is going to be using Android within 6 months, RIM already is officially porting their core email app to Android now.
mplant1999 wrote:Choice and competition are good!
That's exactly what Android is bringing to the market. All the other proprietary closed ecosystems are only trying to limit competition and choice.
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

Charbax wrote:Windows is dead and RIM is going to be using Android within 6 months, RIM already is officially porting their core email app to Android now.
mplant1999 wrote:Choice and competition are good!
That's exactly what Android is bringing to the market. All the other proprietary closed ecosystems are only trying to limit competition and choice.
I think it's a bit early to be writing Windows' obituary just yet. I agree that its market share/dominance is shrinking, but that doesn't = dead. I agree about closed eco-systems limiting choice, but see it affecting manufacturers and OEMs rather than the consumer. As long as we consumers can choose between devices, running a variety of OS, all will be well. To be honest, if tablets standardize on Android, I will see that as severely limiting my choices. Finally, with webOS on the scene and with RIM due to release the Playbook, I don't think we can write off RIM just yet either (ie, HP is gambling with a new OS and RIM a new device - let's see how they fare).

Ultimately, it's all good. This is an exciting time WRT technology, though the rapid pace of change and development means that the corrollorary is that this is a seriously grim time for the environment.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

mplant1999 wrote:To be honest, if tablets standardize on Android, I will see that as severely limiting my choices.
Android is progressing at such a pace, and limitations for Android are going away, this means Android devices can be designed in all kinds of ways, no limiting differentiation. And if RIM or HP thinks they can improve on Android with alternative UI, they are perfectly open to do that.

The point is that every time someone buys a closed proprietary device, that is by definition hurting free market competition, as that means consumers money, time is used to promote an ecosystem that is designed to be limited in space and that is designed to stop competition. That is the only design of such systems as iOS, Windows and iTunes, it's to limit competition and slow down the technological progress that we need.
nekogami13
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by nekogami13 »

tbirdman wrote:Hey this is just my feelings after using a 101 and now an Ipad. In my personal use, he Ipad is light years ahead. yes it is more expensive, but I feel that it is worth the extra cost. All I know is more responsive, don't have to tilt the screen to get decent viewing angles etc. Not one lock up since having it for three days vs probably one an hour for the 101.

Before I bought the Ipd I used the 101 for over two months so I feel I'm qualified to make these statements.

And maybe there are defects out on some Ipad, but geez the quality of the 101 was very much inferior to the Ipad. You are just are overjoyed because you heard that there were some quality issues. I have no defects and the screen and the touch pad blows away the 101. maybe I got the only defect free Ipad. :lol: My analysis is subjective and takes into account the sum of the parts. I have not use Honeycomb so it may be better in some respects, but iOS4.3 is fine for me.

Ah the joy of using a tablet and not having it look up. :badgrin:
You are 100% right.
Fanatics, zealots, etc. can not see what is clearly in front of them-they just blindly hate and attack those who disagree.
If arches reallybwants to compete, they need to get their act together and put out a quality product-not cheap junk.
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

I am an old man ,I need a product that works as advertised right out of the box.Reading this forum with all the "this is what you have to do" "upgrade this" "reinstall that " and all the other baggage as scared me from buying the Archos tablet.

Even Archos lack of 3g onboard is a big minus for me,yes you can tethered but with Bell that would be to costly,1g of data is 65 bucks and God save you if you go over your plan.A tablet plan is 35 bucks for 5 g and you can refill your bucket or wait for the beginning of the month for an auto refill ,no chance of a costly overage .Nearest wifi hotspot is 30 miles away :(

I need a tablet that works out of the box and internet access,at a reasonable price, on the road ,at the moment Archos can not do that.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

MikeeWeird wrote:I am an old man ,I need a product that works as advertised right out of the box.
If you don't want to part take in the wonders of BitTorrent, HDTV, USB Hard drives, Samba/Upnp streaming, hands-free kick-stand movie watching, BT tethering, jacket pocket sized 7" and ultra-light 10.1", then of course Archos is not for you. Using those technologies automatically requires a certain level of technical understanding in any case, so for people like us who care about those features, doing a clean firmware update, finding a couple or three .apk files, changing the default UI or Browser a bit here or there, that comes as a piece of cake.

And the ipad2 does not make any of that simpler, it simply does not support any of these features at all.
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

I played with an iPad 2 in a local store yesterday - was horrified at how heavy and unwieldy it is... This surprised me because it is lighter than the iPad 1 and yet the iPad 1 didn't seem so ungainly to me... As usual, I was completely unimpressed by iOS. It's "OK" on the iPod Touch but annoys me when blown up onto the tablet and irritates teh H-E-C-K out of me on the iPhone 4.
MikeeWeird
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MikeeWeird »

Charbax wrote:
MikeeWeird wrote:I am an old man ,I need a product that works as advertised right out of the box.
If you don't want to part take in the wonders of BitTorrent, HDTV, USB Hard drives, Samba/Upnp streaming, hands-free kick-stand movie watching, BT tethering, jacket pocket sized 7" and ultra-light 10.1", then of course Archos is not for you. Using those technologies automatically requires a certain level of technical understanding in any case, so for people like us who care about those features, doing a clean firmware update, finding a couple or three .apk files, changing the default UI or Browser a bit here or there, that comes as a piece of cake.

And the ipad2 does not make any of that simpler, it simply does not support any of these features at all.
samba ! ,I only have 1 leg, can't dance so good any more :lol:

I need a good reliable tablet for Rv living, 3g for the internet ,wifi if I am parked near a hotspot, entertainment ,i.e movies ,games,books ,music but it as to work as is,no jail breaking , reformatting,upgrading ,reinstalling or waiting for a new firmware release for bugs to be fixed .I need it for the first of August.Selling my house and moving to my class c full time.Just finishing off my rooftop patio.Seven feet by 10 feet with interior access through opening sky light and attic stairs,had to remodel a bit but it looks like it will work out great, when I am parked/camped in a strange town I can sit outdoors in security and comfort ,looking down at the world ,well probably the Wallmart parking lot :badgrin:

Really hoping the Asus EEE transformer will have 3g/sim card in Canada swapable with a USA sim card when I am on that side of the border

If you see a 1986 class c Motor home in your neighborhood with an old man sitting on his roof top patio ,Wave and come on up for a beer :D
tbirdman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tbirdman »

mplant1999 wrote:I played with an iPad 2 in a local store yesterday - was horrified at how heavy and unwieldy it is... This surprised me because it is lighter than the iPad 1 and yet the iPad 1 didn't seem so ungainly to me... As usual, I was completely unimpressed by iOS. It's "OK" on the iPod Touch but annoys me when blown up onto the tablet and irritates teh H-E-C-K out of me on the iPhone 4.

I think unwieldly is a mileage may vary statement as i have used both and see no unwieldly usage with either. The weight and size difference I think is neglible however if you are into specmanship, yes the Archos is a little lighter but not significant in my opinion. Though I have to give it to Archos for a kickstand. Apple should had made two kickstand, one for horizontal and one for vertical orientation. I do prefer the Ipad because it does not get warm after use like the Archos.

Return to “Competitors”