Droid Eris kicks the crap out of A5IT during 3D game...

Info and analysis of Archos competitors
shitepoke
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Droid Eris kicks the crap out of A5IT during 3D game...

Post by shitepoke »

So, a friend and I are in the pub. I showed him Wave Blazer and so he downloaded it. We hooked up multiplayer and his rendering was about.3X faster....

His phone has Android 1.5

We tried single player mode with the same results.

I realize I have a larger screen, but the resolution is the same, so, is this particular game at fault, or are we missing out on game.performance on the Archos?

Puzzled...

Cheers
Archos 5IT
sporx
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Droid Eris kicks the crap out of A5IT during 3D game...

Post by sporx »

the archos device doesnt currently have any drivers for graphics acceleration. :? If/when we ever do get them in an update, it should match, if not outperform the droid eris.
fatnfluffy11
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by fatnfluffy11 »

Hmm, if the problem is drivers for graphic acceleration, then couldn't someone just hack the drivers needed onto the tablet? Or would it have to be through an official FW update?

And I really wish the rendering was better, 3d games on that big a screen would be awesome. 8)
sporx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by sporx »

It would be nice if it were that simple=] lol but no, TI is supposedly working on the drivers for the chips in the archos 5 it, however idk about any estimated release date or even if there is one. Coding a driver for a chip like this isnt an easy task, not something thats very likely to be accomplished by one of our devs. However, im not the most knowledgeable person in the world about all this, i just know what ive read on this forum.=]
Hopefully someone else will have some better news for ya thats more knowledgeable on the subject.
If i had to guess i would say that as the arm cortex 8 chip gets more popular, TI will complete and put out the drivers, and it will eventually come to the archos. However, I'm fairly certain, that to do this it would have to be implemented in a new android version, so as of now, we're a ways off.
hauk
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hauk »

Yes coding those drivers requires the kind of intimate knowledge about the chip that TI isn't exactly giving out.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Archos devs are working on implementing TI's code now. 'Soon'.

In the meanwhile, for some revenge, have your friend run some 720p videos on his Eris and compare that. :lol:

Michael
tempur37
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tempur37 »

Lol. Kinda find it funny that you took the time to discuss it, then log onto the Archos site and post it at the pub. That's dedication my friend.
TheRain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TheRain »

Yah, actually once the TI driver baked into Archos5It's android image the capabilities will be far better than a Droid Eris. They will be similar to the Motorola Droid since they have more or less the same OMAP3 chip in them.

I've done some OpenGL ES tests on my own SDE image on Archos5IT and OpenGL ES 2.0 is running very nice and smoothly there. I can post some videos on Youtube if anyone is interested. I haven't tried integrating what I have compiled for SDE with android, but i suspect it would not be that easy to do. We'll probably just have to wait for Archos to integrate it.

But yah, like people are saying, there is currently no 3D acceleration software support in the Android image archos provided on the device, but the hardware definetly supports it and could outpace and out do the droid eris by a long shot.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

And watch out for the summer slew of tablets, including from Archos. Newer, faster, and more refined ARM processors. Charbax was in ARM Heaven at CeBIT.

And, gee, it's only 2010. Anyone remember ITs back in 2005?

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
shitepoke
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by shitepoke »

Thanks for the replies. Good thing its only a. Driver away... sad that it may never come. Looking fwd fo the next gen already. Love this tablet still....
Archos 5IT
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Being that Archos needs to implement this support to keep the A5A competitive and therefore saleable in the next couple of quarters as more competition enters the space, I think it's possible that they might not do Open GL drivers, but that will likely also mean Archos is unable to keep it's Android commitments and that would mean they were close to closing their doors.

So while I think it's possible these drivers might not roll out, I also don't think it's very likely that they won't. I'd instead expect to see them probably roll out with the 2.1 firmware.

Just my two cents worth.

Michael
svolatch
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by svolatch »

TheRain wrote:I've done some OpenGL ES tests on my own SDE image on Archos5IT and OpenGL ES 2.0 is running very nice and smoothly there. I can post some videos on Youtube if anyone is interested.
Yes! Very interesting in it. Please post full videos and detailed instruction to repeat this test by myself. :roll:
svolatch
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by svolatch »

pleeeeeeease! :? TheRain, where are you? :?:
TheRain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TheRain »

Hi svolatch- sorry I'm not going to have time to do it now for a while- I'm currently flashed for Android not SDE and I won't have time to change it for another week or so. When I made the statement that I could do a youtube video, I had it running on my device but at the moment I don't :)

But if someone is interested in duplicating this is integrating it into their OpenEmbedded build environment, I'd be happy to share the details of how to do so. Possibly I will try to contact the OpenAOS team and see if they want to include it in their OE overlay.
svolatch
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by svolatch »

TheRain wrote:But if someone is interested in duplicating this is integrating it into their OpenEmbedded build environment, I'd be happy to share the details of how to do so. Possibly I will try to contact the OpenAOS team and see if they want to include it in their OE overlay.
Yes! Share it! :roll:
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Since this is about the SDE, perhaps the Open Development forum might be a good choice for continuing this conversation, as folks there are focused on that?

Just a thought.

Michael
svolatch
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by svolatch »

I consider Angstrom good alternative of Android. And this choice would be more good at complete support of hardware.

By the way, how to use Angstrom which it is given by the online builder instead of included in official AOS-file?
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Look in the Open Development forum for much more on Angstrom, as that's where the OpenAOS team posts.

Michael
svolatch
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by svolatch »

Thanks Michael.
You have shown me correct direction.
Now I see that there are people which something do for Angstrom on A5IT. And do successfully.

Thanks.

Return to “Competitors”