Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

hello to all, for those of you who are still thinking about buying an archos 605wifi i made a video of what i like so far, i am at my friends house so his wifi conection is kind of slow he downloads alot, but at my house is very fast. i love it so far is the best!!! here is the video http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1300737YH3saptE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:18 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Great overview of this great device ;) thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting to see such features as Orb in action with the live Flash video re-encoding that it can do so you can have realtime access to your whole collection of movies from all over the world.

If you don't mind I posted your video here: http://archosfans.com/2007/10/12/video- ... marcopolo/

Post subject: cool
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

no problem charbax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:42 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

marco, thanks SO MUCH for demonstrating Orb...I decided to take a look and of course downloaded and installed it! It seems like a strange thing to use in your own house (doesn't it route the stream to it's own server and then back to you?), but on the road it looks pretty cool.

Oh, one small thing: The Cure (as far as I know, unless there's a cover) did not perform "Tainted Love". Original artist (anyway) is Soft Cell. You might want to update your 80's music library. ;)

Thanks again,

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

very nice, where did you get the blackjack SWF? I want! LoL

One thing I love about the photo viewer what many people probably don't know is the ability to zoom by stretching the photo with two fingers. Like so:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... 6&hl=en-CA

It's tricky at first, if it doesn't work for you try going slowly and applying a bit more pressure, but it does work :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

RK wrote:
very nice, where did you get the blackjack SWF? I want! LoL

One thing I love about the photo viewer what many people probably don't know is the ability to zoom by stretching the photo with two fingers. Like so:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... 6&hl=en-CA

It's tricky at first, if it doesn't work for you try going slowly and applying a bit more pressure, but it does work :D

you can zoom by just touching and holding in 1 place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

r0bot wrote:

you can zoom by just touching and holding in 1 place

Oh, so that's how that works. I feel dumb now. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Interesting using Orb. I used to use it until I got a Slingbox. I emailed Slingmedia to see if they are going to have a slingplayer for Archos.

Too much to hope for? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

where did you dl the games from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

KoRn wrote:
where did you dl the games from?

http://www.darksouls.org/aup/modules/weblinks/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:32 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Games are here: Games

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Marco, got a question for you:

I noticed in your video that while using Orb on the 605, you browsed to a video file, started one of your movies (a Chinese movie?). Thinking about it afterwards, I remembered this thread:

Help with orb and other issues

But it seems everyone in this thread (and me too) get a "Cannot play file is damaged or incompatible" error when trying to view video over Orb (audio/pix work fine).

What's your secret? :) How'dya get it to work?

-Matt

PS Not sure if this matters, but if you got to settings while running Orb, and switch to "mobile" you get a nicer view of your files on the 605.

Post subject: orb
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:26 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

hi matt; this is what i did firt on your orb conputer right clic on the green orb open there is one for video files and audio pics browse for the folders that u want to share on your archos make sure u have orb set to flash; when playing a video file wait about 10sec before you press ok. i hope this works for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yikes, IT WORKS! Marco, why have you been keeping this to yourself!??!!?! :lol: I wonder if I should start a new thread...maybe I'll just add the good news to the old Orb thread.

Thanks again (grazie mille!),

-Matt

Post subject: orb secret
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

hi matt, no secret nobody ask :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I learned about the 10-second wait technique from Harry1511 from this thread:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... hlight=orb

as far as i know it's the first mention of the Orb fix. Thanks harry!... and thanks Marco for the great Orb demo. You got live tv to work on there. I can't get that part to work... but i'll try it again tonight since my tv tuner may have been loose. Yesterday i realized it slid 1/2 way out thus taking away the ability of my pc to record tv. I slid it all the back in, so it's fixed. Hopefully now live tv works on Orb...

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

John, you're right...thanks for the reminder. I wasn't interested in Orb until I saw Marco's video, and I think I'd read that earlier thread and just forgot about it.

I assume that Orb converts our video files to Flash and then streams them...I assume it may also resize/compress them. Funny that on a PC it may look so-so, but since the 605 ACTUALLY IS a mobile device, they look OK.

But here is an obvious thought: if you have the 160GB, there isn't much point to streaming your own media, is there? Or have I missed the point?

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

averageguy wrote:
But here is an obvious thought: if you have the 160GB, there isn't much point to streaming your own media, is there? Or have I missed the point?

-Matt

Mainly true, but a benefit could be to watch a freshly recorded video from your pc when you're on the road. (assuming much of your video is recorded on the pc w/ a tv tuner) If all your videos are ripped from DVDs, then the benefit is reduced.

Plus if you want access to ALL your videos on the road, then you have to keep syncing the 605 to make sure you have every video; if you simply just keep it all on the PC, you don't have to worry about it. Then again, you can only access the videos when you are in a Wifi hotspot. :(

I think a huge plus for Orb is that you can schedule a show to be recorded. So if i'm on the road and then remembered that i forgot to set xyz show to be recorded at home, i can do so on the 605. I can then watch at home (on PC, on 605, or stream to tv w/ 605) or watch on the road after it's recorded!

Honestly, i'll VERY rarely use Orb since i don't travel much. But it's just nice knowing i "can" use orb when i need to.

Oh, and if you need to listen to live Sirius Satellite radio, and you don't have a Wifi Sirius radio, use the combination of uSirius pc software and orb:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... ght=sirius

John