Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 504 VS 605 (pics)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I just got my 605 30GB today, and I love it so far. I've snapped some pics of it compared to my 504 40GB for those other 504 owners who are wondering of upgrading to a 605.

Basically it's tiny compared to what we (504 owners) are used to. It's just thin enough to stand up without tipping over.

I'll post my opinions about how it performs compared to 504 later, if anyone cares.

One thing I already found thats better apart from obvious, is that it can use NTFS formatted external storage. When I plug my 500GB hard drive to the DVR station the 504 gives errors, while the 605 works perfectly.

Last edited by RK on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool, does NTFS support also easilly let you copy files from your Archos to the external NTFS hard drive storage?

Be carefull, I've heard some versions of NTFS mounting to Linux can corrupt a NTFS hard drive if Linux tries to change too much data on the NTFS drive. But if you have secured a backup of your data on the NTFS drive, maybe you wouldn't mind testing it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No Charbax, I just found out that it does not let you copy from 605 to NFTS drive.

When you are browsing the hard drive from the Archos, there is an option in the menu to copy to Archos.

But when you are browsing the Archos, with the NTFS drive open on the other side of the screen, the menu does not allow you to copy to the external drive

However, I was able to copy from the Archos to my FAT32 formatted flash drive.

I bet they don't allow you to copy from Archos to NTFS for the reason you posted above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK I guess that's fine for now. Maybe they'll enable writing to NTFS if there will be a 100% secure driver for it available on that kind of Linux. Anyways, I think it's great that reading from NTFS hard drives on the USB host works.

I wonder about reading from an external DVD drive. Theoretically, Archos could support playing back encrypted commercial DVDs with the Cinema plugin even from an external USB DVD drive, if that includes all licences required for commercial DVD movie playback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

could you post pictures comparing the screen, because i have found that i cant see a thing when looking at my 605 screen in the sun light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have the Cinema plug-in.
I just tried plugging in my HP external dvd drive, with a DVD movie on the first try, and a data dvd disk with divx files. Unfortunately they both did NOT work. So I guess it does not support the file system of DVD disks.

sharp910sh, I'll remember to post up pics when the sun comes out, it's a dark and ugly rainy day in Toronto ;) and both screens look good without sunlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Another thing I noticed, is that the buttons are bad compared to the 504, they are small the the symbols are painted on, so the markings may eventually fade away, but I guess compensates with an amazing touch screen. The dedicated volume up/down button is a plus, however I hate the new location of the OK/Cancel button, it's way at the top, and it'll take a long time for me to get used to.

Buying the plug-ins was instantaneous, unlike with my 504 which took about 8 hours, but I guess it's an improvement to the Archos web store not the 605.

I don't see a resume button on the home screen, which is a bit disappointing because it's a very useful icon that was there on the 4th generation. Correct me if I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong and haven't found it. I know they removed it because the 605 has so many features that it is impossible to have icons for every single thing. Which brings me to my firmware update suggestion to have the option to customize the home screen to individual needs. I personally would get rid of Widgets from my home screen and put a Resume icon instead.

I didn't expect the web browser to be this good, it's really spectacular (for a mobile device) it renders web pages very well to fit the small screen, and it's great for basic web browsing. But it tends to slow down on sites like digg, where there a lot of code to process. But it's not at all bad because many of these resource intensive sites like digg and engadget have mobile version that are very lightweight and are designed to work on phones, there is even a mobile version of google maps that works completly lag free on the 605.

Edit: The speaker is also a lot louder on the 605 then on the 504, and I also think the volume out put to the headphones is a little bit louder then the 504 from what I can tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you don't mind RK, I posted some of your cool pictures and part of your review at http://archosfans.com/2007/10/03/rk-rev ... e-browser/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

RK wrote:
I don't see a resume button on the home screen, which is a bit disappointing because it's a very useful icon that was there on the 4th generation. Correct me if I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong and haven't found it.

If I've understood your concern correctly, it is there. When you quit out in the middle of playing music or watching a video then you will see the resume icon on the main screen. Press it and it takes you back to where you were in the music or video.

It is only on the main screen not the intermediary selection screens, but it is there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great picture above RK - in fact I think it's one of the best I've ever seen of a 605wifi. Really shows of the resolution of the screen well.

Not owning a 605wif I have a question - What is the square object on the bottom r/h side corner of the screen? Is this a menu button?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yep, thats a menu button.

DarkSheer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:48 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax, I don't mind at all. I'm glad you like it.

MarkT, Thanks! I found it. So it's basically an option in the menu on the home screen instead of a separate icon. That's good enough.

Another thing that I discovered after 2 days of use, is that the headphone jack should have been placed on the opposite side (like it is on the 504).

On the 605 30GB (don't know about other 605s) the headphone jack is on the opposite corner of the buttons. So when I keep it in my pocket and listen to music as I walk, it sort of looks like this:

It does not go inside all the way because of the headphone jack gets in the way, but if you insert the 605 with the other side into the case then the buttons are pressed by the case and the screen is always on. Plus I like to have access to buttons for easy volume adjustments.

I guess I could cut a hole on the other side of the case for the headphone wire, but I don't want to ruin it. It's actually a nice case compared to the garbage bag case that came with the 504. (504 owners know what I'm talking about)

EDIT: It actually goes further inside then in my picture, but I'm just making this problem easier to understand. It's really not that big of a problem by the way. The 605 is such an amazing device with many capabilities, this will NOT make you disappointed in your 605.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:01 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I put my 605 in the case the other way round, so that the headphone jack is at the open end. I also lock the buttons so they aren't pressed accidentally. I'm really looking forward to the FM remote coming out so I can change the volume or skip a track without having to rummage in my bag and show all the potential muggers on the tube my expensive gadget!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

lizzyjm wrote:
I put my 605 in the case the other way round, so that the headphone jack is at the open end. I also lock the buttons so they aren't pressed accidentally. I'm really looking forward to the FM remote coming out so I can change the volume or skip a track without having to rummage in my bag and show all the potential muggers on the tube my expensive gadget!

makes it hard to adjust the volume when in this way...

i do the other way, like the picture the guy posted.

(locking the buttons doesn't affect the volume button which can still be controlled)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

bas wrote:
(locking the buttons doesn't affect the volume button which can still be controlled)

Really? I didn't know that. I will try this way around on my way to work tomorrow. Though my bag's so deep I may run out of headphone cable!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yep! The headphone positioning on 605wifi sucks and this was picked up/discussed very soon after initial announcement as a stupid design flaw for reasons pointed out here and elsewhere. This is a definite step backwards from Gen 4's!

Hopefully, Archos have heard all the critisism about this and on Gen 6 we can have it top right near the buttons (actually I hope Gen 6 has ABSOLUTELY NO BUTTONS!) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hope it'll have buttons but they should be as small and thin as possible and be on each side of the screen instead of only on the right side. Maybe there should even be a very small multidirectional pad on the top left of the screen, basically the point would be to be able to use thin buttons on each side of the screen for games and other types of navigating and browsing where one might like to not have to touch the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

bas wrote:

Tried this this morning and it's not true. Locking the buttons locks ALL the buttons, so it make no difference which way round I put it in the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My volume button still works with the Lock "on".

Tried with Speaker in Auto, On and Off mode, Battery dock on / off and headset in headphone socket / in AV out - makes no difference.

Firmware 1.3.52

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Definitely doesn't work on mine. Perhaps it's a firmware thing as I'm still on 1.3.08. The online update tells me I'm up to date so I'll have to update manually when I get home this eveningas that's where my usb cable is.