Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I wish to hopefully get advice on a definitive thread with a full walkthrough on replacing the internal hard drive on the Archos 5 with a 750gb one ( or higher perhaps ) I have read a few threads but nothing thus far really gives you full information as to how to achieve this goal. If anyone can direct me to a thread or sticky which explains this fully with suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I have read around 10 threads but nothing really explains it fully so far. Or perhaps someone does this for other members for a fee.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can anyone please help me out with this if at all possible ?, thanks I've read as much as can on here but there are no step by step hard drive upgrade walkthroughs?.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does anyone still use this forum about the Archos and upgrading it perhaps or is the Technology to old, as I'd love to upgrade my Archos Internal hard drive, surely there is an easy way to do it nowerdays?.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hopefully this will be of help to you. I just upgraded my archos 5 250gb to a crucial m4 128gb SSD that I had (I know it is less storage but the 250gb drive had just crapped out and I already had an extra m4). I believe that any sata drive will work as long as it is physically the same size or smaller then the drive currently in the archos, tho I did not try a larger capacity drive. Key is having the patched firmware running on the archos before you try to swap out the drives. The patched firmware removes the drive serial number check from the archos bootup.

Steps I took to do this were as follows:

Step 1 was to load a patched firmware. I used v1.6.54-patched (luckily I did this before the drive crapped out)

https://sites.google.com/site/archos5imt/patched-fw

had the procedure for loading the patched firmware

Step 2 used the tear down guild to swap the hard drives

https://sites.google.com/site/archos5im ... b-teardown

hint on removing the screen, there is a long white connector with a black bar on the top where the ribbon cable goes into. You need to pry the black bar up from the ribbon cable side. The bar rotates and relieves pressure from the cable so it can slide out.

The new hard drive needs to be the same physical size or smaller as the drive that you are replacing.

Make sure you move the bars from the side of the old hard drive to the new one (mine had allen head cap screws holding the bars on, not sure what size).

Step 3 reverse the tear down steps to put the unit back together

I put it back together to the point where the screen was connected to the white connector.

Step 4 I then powered the unit on holding the up volume button

Step 5 I then used volume buttons to select format drive

Step 6 I then hooked it up to a computer and moved the firmware-a57-1.6.54-patched.aos file to the main directory

I got the file from: http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php/Arch ... re_Updates

use the full firmware version and then rename the file to firmware-a57-1.6.54-patched.aos

Step 7 selected done then the archos updated the software

Step 8 the archos was now fully functional

Step 9 finished putting the archos back together

Step 10 moved music files back onto archos and enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:53 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

b_camaro wrote:
*SNIP INSTRUCTIONS SNIP*

Pro-tip when you do this, make sure you neither lose power on your device or have your hard drive crash. If either happens, you may kill your Archos 5. You'll keep getting an error when booting or trying to install any updates (NOK 207 or something similar. There's a thread where there was some research going into it, but that died out.).

Also, I posted instructions on the idea of hard drive upgrades for it before. Many times. Here is one example, from about 4 years ago. My Archos 5 (second one, first one died with that error code I was talking about) currently has a 1TB drive and works great.

Another pro-tip after you've done this, NEVER update the ARC-Lib if you can avoid it. It will take forever to do, and it may not index all your music. You're definitely better off browsing by folder instead of by artist, song, genre, or whatever. This has been my experience with ~500GB of music, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

(and yes, this forum isn't really frequented by too many people these days ... it's a really old device.)