Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The full USB port for the 3G stick stopped working, or rather it is flaky, and I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how to mount a USB HDD through the terminal.

I want to try that before opening it since it has always had a problem with mounting a hard drive. The time it seems to work the best is after I do a factory reset so I don't think is a hardware issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

By any chance do you let that use port slide in and out while you remove the usb cable? Because unfortunately the usb port in the back has a design flaw in it. It was designed to move in and out for the 3G stick they made to allow the antenna in the stick to get a better signal. However all that moving about frays the connections in the ribbon cable and when that happens the port becomes useless. Basically the copper traces in the ribbon cable 'break' apart by forming cracks. And when those cracks get big enough it interrupts the signal. If you search around in this forum or online you will found a post about it. Someone had replaces the frayed cable with a cable they had from an old cdrom drive.