Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So after much consideration I have decided to close up shop. The flooding in Thailand kind of killed most of my business and what was left the USPS finished off with higher rates. My site has been closed for some time now anyway. That said, I will be writing a how to on how to change a hard drive's serial number to match the stock Archos hard drive. This is a pretty easy how to and it will include zif drives too.

DISCLAIMER!!!
Everything you attempt using the information and files in this tutorial is done at your own risk. Screwing with a hard drives firmware voids the warranty. Even if you do everything there is every chance you could make the hard drive inoperable.

Now that's out of the way...
THINGS YOU NEED
Files
All the files you need to do this can be downloaded from the link bellow.
CTRL + S will download the entire rar archive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5tbEpJ7hxUdU3VKLWc1ZEdOb28/edit?usp=sharing
You will also need a hex editor.
http://software-files-a.cnet.com/s/software/11/01/89/28/HxDSetupEN.zip?lop=link&ptype=3001&ontid=2352&siteId=4&edId=3&spi=28e21448d9ce3920778a1f9521c96257&pid=11018928&psid=10891068&token=1389662541_b2436e733de3ec20b642c52767681699&fileName=HxDSetupEN.zip
Hardware
If you need to change the serial number of an ide(AV500, 504, 704, 605, 706) drive you need a 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter.
Everything that came out after the fifth gen uses a SATA drive and unless you have a 15 year old computer you won't need an adapter.

The hard drives that we will be working with are Western Digital Blue or Black series. For the EIDE drives for the fifth gen under will end with beve. WD1600BEVE, WD2500BEVE, WD3200BEVE and so on.
You will also need a usb flash drive.

Last edited by Junior on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

First thing we need to do is create a dos startup disk.
Insert the usb flash drive in your computer/

Extract the rar archive to your desktop. Inside you will find two folders. In the first folder you will find the HP USB format tool. Click on that.

Check the quick format box.
Check Create a DOS startup Disk.
When you do the above it will open a box asking for system files. Point it to the win98boot folder.
Click start.

Once that is finished copy and paste the entire contents of folder 2 into the startup disk.

Now you have created a startup disk with all the files you need to change a hard drives serial number.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry for the delay. Life and stuff got busy. Im trying to locate some of the files to make this a bit easier. You can follow the guide bellow if you are in a hurry. The most important thing is to create an undo file. Because that is the main thing you will need to change. Use a 20Gb hddss.bin to actually do the flashing at first. You can find those just about anywhere

http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/consol ... -slim.html

Restart your pc and go back into windows. Make a copy of the undo.bin that is your usb flash drive and save it to your desktop. Better yet make two copies and save one online. Use a hex editor to open the undo.bin file you just created with hddhacker. It will look similar to the image bellow.

The serial number of the hard drive is highlighted. You can use the hex editor to change the serial number to whatever the original archos drive's serial number happens to be.

In the picture bellow I changed the WD serial number to a seagate. That was my original hard drive. :)

Red letters indicates change. If you still have characters left over from the original wd serial number you can use the space bar to clean it.
So the serial number is changed then just go ahead and save the modified undo.bin to the usb drive where hddhacker is located.

Go back and run hddhacker and this time select restore and follow the onscreen instructions. And the hard drive serial number is changed to match the original hard drive.

Ill add a how to for devices that use a sata drive. Its mostly similar though. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Ill post the bin files so you can save a lot of this work as soon as I can find them.