Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello. Was directed here from reddit and am really hoping someone here can help me out.
First time I turned it on it took me to a screen with the wrong date and time and a lock symbol. There was also an indicator that it was charging and that it wasn't connected to the internet and that was it. I tried tapping on the icons I saw but nothing responded. Tried restarting several times. Finally gave up and reformatted it. Now it wont go to any screen but the recovery screen since I guess I have to reinstall the OS but I just realized my computer isn't even detecting it. How do I even begin to fix this? :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Well, at the risk of stating the obvious... Have you tried,

1) Checking the USB cable is properly pugged in/tried another USB cable.

2) Followed the instructions here: http://www.archos.com/manuals/A70b_it_E ... 1312982515

Here's a video showing the process. It's for an older model but the process is the same.

http://youtu.be/Id9BoMfm0h4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. Yes it's definitely plugged in fine. If there's a problem with the cord I'm kind of screwed though because it's the only USB cord that fits in the tablet.

2. I formatted the system but ever since I did that the only screen it shows is the recovery screen. I think somehow you're supposed to be able to copy a new OS from your computer to the tablet but for whatever reason my computer doesn't recognize that it's plugged in. When I plug it in and unplug it it makes a sound like it knows somethings there and I've seen a "mass storage device" flicker in next to my hard drive in My Computer but it never stays there.
------------------------------------------
Annnnd it's fixed.
I'm not sure if this is the way it's supposed to work and I'm just dumb or what. But apparently you need to format it while it's connected to the computer and once it's done the computer will detect it. Why it wouldn't just detect in the first place is beyond me. I'm not at all tech savvy as you may have noticed. It was your video that got me to try this so thank you you definitely helped. I saw that they had their Archos connected when they formatted so I was like huh maybe I should try that. So yes thank you again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok no I lied problem not fixed. I reformatted and installed what I am pretty sure is the correct OS. And then strange things happen.
It'll boot up fine and ask me my language and if I've read the terms or whatever. And then...it's like something out of a movie. different screens keep flashing and things get selected and different options go on and off and on and off. At one point it was like it was entering some kind of password on the screen. Uhhh am I getting hacked or something? I have no idea why it's doing this or how to fix it. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hmm, sounds like a sensitivity problem with the screen. It could be a hardware fault but then again it appears to work during the initial setup.

Read this thread here (viewtopic.php?f=85&t=65073) particularly the second post:

Harfainx wrote:
You need to reboot into recovery (restart and then hold vol down) and perform a screen calibration. My device was doing that when I was out in extreme cold temperatures. After a calibration (not from within Android, do the one in recovery), your problem should be fixed.

Do you have a screen protector stuck on your tablet?

Are you holding it by the corner (bottom right) and letting your thumb accidently touch the screen?

P.S. Assuming that you've got the Honeycomb version of the 70b then you should be using firmware version 3.2.81 from here: http://update.archos.com/9/gen8v2avx9/g ... os_it3.aos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Man I feel like I've tried everything at this point. I tried the Calibration thing but every time I do it something flashes on the screen too quick for me to read. I was assuming it was working but maybe it wasn't. After I did the Calibration I restarted it but every time I restart I come to this same stupid page and I can't do anything with it. Here's a picture: http://i.imgur.com/FSC1H.jpg. It just shows the time, internet connectivity, battery life, and a symbol of a lock and that's it. I can't do anything with it. So I reformatted again and this time I actually made it through the entire setup process so I was like ok now is a good time to do the Calibration thing. So I turned it off and did it and came back to the same useless screen. Formatted again, went through the setup process again, and then I was going to ignore it because I figured ok if I got through setup maybe it's fine. But no I went to browse around and it started going crazy again like it was being hacked. Maybe it's broken or maybe I'm just doing something to it and I have no idea what. It was flat on my bed so I wasn't accidentally touching the screen and I don't have a screen protector. Do you think I should just send it back in or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Nolder wrote:
Here's a picture: http://i.imgur.com/FSC1H.jpg. It just shows the time, internet connectivity, battery life, and a symbol of a lock and that's it. I can't do anything with it.

That is the default "lock screen". To unlock the tablet: touch the lock symbol and a bigger outer circle will appear, drag the lock symbol to the edge of the bigger circle and remove your finger. You should now be at the main menu.

N.B. Android used to have an iPhone-esque "Slide to Unlock" system but it was changed to this circle method after legal threats from Apple.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That doesn't happen. I've tapped it, double tapped it, held it, slid my finger over it, squeezed it, and begged it. Nothing happens for me when I mess with the circle. :/

This is why I thought it was messed up in the first place. The first time I turned it on I saw this screen and couldn't do anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Then it must be a hardware fault (quite common with Archos as they're built down to a price). Can you get a replacement/refund?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I sure hope so! Thank you for all your help Colin I really appreciate it. I'll look into returning it right away.