Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi everyone.

I first came to this forum after purchasing my 101 about 2 years ago, and have had fun with the 101 for 2 years.

Now, I have (mainly due to the lower price) just purchased an i-Pad mini, and wanted to let you all know my thoughts. I have loved having the Archos, and the lower price, plus the USB option made it a no brainer for me, and as I say, I have really used it a lot, pretty much every day. It kind of didn't sit well when all the apple fan boys were claiming 'every product Apple made was fantastic', and this mentality always steered me away from Apple, but I have been intrigued to what the differences 'could be' for 2 years.

The differences I found with the i-Pad - compared to 2 years use of the Archos 101:

I purchased the i-Pad mini, and opened it, and didn't immediately think much. Then I stared to use it, and WOW. The difference in usage between the Archos 101, and the i-Pad, seriously, cannot be understated.

The i-Pad is a SERIOUS, quality machine, in my opinion.... so far.

This is what I found:

Quality of the viewing: text, images, and everything = 100% better on the i-Pad - seriously, it really is.

The speed of page, and application loading:
Webpages, graphics, EVERYTHING = 100% better on the i-Pad - probably more than 100% if that were possible. The difference really is like night and day.

The Applications I use: The apps I personally use, like sky sports, news, etc, are so much better on the i-Pad compared to android, just so much more professional/cleaner, if you know what I mean.

OK, the i-Pad costs a little more, but seriously, this bit of cash compared to what you get in return is so, so worth it. The quality is on a higher level.

It pains me a little to say all this, because like I say, I really have enjoyed the Archos 101 for the last 2 years, BUT, I do wish I had switched sooner, because honestly guys, the quality difference SHOCKED ME far more than I thought it would.

Last night I got the Archos 101, and the I-Pad out, and compared them both a little, and in some cases, I could load 3/4/5 web pages on the i-Pad in the same time it took the Archos to load one, and the pictures (compared to the i-Pad) just looked dull, washed out, and like something from 10 years ago.

If I had to conclude the main difference, I would equate using the i-Pad, compared to the Archos, to similar to taking 5 layers of cling film off the screen, that is how much sharper, clearer, vibrant, colourful the i-Pad is compared to the Archos.

As for the 'no USB' issue. Forget it, I thought that, but if you think about it, you have to place files onto a USB stick, to then place into the Archos, so those same actions could easily be changed to place the same files into Dropbox, and thus you can use the files on your i=Pad, or Itunes to simple put them on. It is not an issue.

I will never slag off Archos, because they gave me 2 years of enjoyment. I really did love my little 101, but now I have used this new i-Pad for 2 weeks - wow. I am definitely not, and never will be an apple fan boy, but really, the difference in quality of absolutely staggering.

Good luck every one, and whatever device you decide on, or are using, ENJOY IT!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 pm 

I moved this topic because even according to steve jobs, a 7 inch tablet has no comparison to a 10 inch one, even besides the price. And what is this talk about using clumsy usb sticks with a101... isnt the 64gb micro sdxc card i have on order gonna reformat and work fine in my a101? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
I moved this topic because even according to steve jobs, a 7 inch tablet has no comparison to a 10 inch one, even besides the price. And what is this talk about using clumsy usb sticks with a101... isnt the 64gb micro sdxc card i have on order gonna reformat and work fine in my a101? ;)

Firstly, the i-pad I mentioned is a 7.9" screen, and secondly, we were primarily talking about the archos 101, and the comparison, so as a moderator, please do not be facetious just because somebody, a genuine user of 2 years, compares a product.

Also, regarding the USB, you miss the point completely; I was referring to the well-known 'grumble' regarding i-Pads not having access to third-party disk space, NOT the 'type' of disk space, and that it is not a hindrance, because the same actions are taken to transfer the data to a particular arena, in order to be viewed on the device.

I am an owner of a forum 20 x the size of this one, and if my moderators acted in the way you have, then they would be removed pretty quickly, because not only is it bad for the reputation of the forum, and for prospective newcomers, but also I like my moderators to at least show some class in the discussions of the market place that the forum is a part of, even if rival products are being discussed.

I could understand if I had just come on here slating the Archos range, which I did not; I came here as an experienced user, to give a variation, and experience on a rival, and highly discussed competitor, compared to the Archos product in the original thread.

Apple fans have shown a similar attitude to your's for years, please do not belittle the Archos range by sinking to that level. It will not show this forum, or the Archos arena in a good light. Competitors are out there, and always will be, that is just a fact of commerce; and a fact that all players in any marketplace have to accept - even moderators.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 am 

I fail to see your complaint... gen 8 101 is not remotely comparable to mini ipad; they are from different eras and nobody would be making a buying choice between the two. Someone accessing your post thru the newposts button could easily mistake your post to be trashing the gen 9 a101, but if they do navigate thru the gen 8 section, they still find the shadow link that i left where you originated it.

You almost sounded like an apple ad, lacking any reference to reasonable close archos product of gen 9 a80 or (a stretch) a70. Its just logical to put something that sheds no light on comparable archos to stand alone in competitor section. Not an anti apple bias; i have 2 17" macbook pros, and an ipod which expired only after a zillion charge cycles. I did return a free ipod touch that i considered inferior to archos though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No problem.

As I stated, I used the 101 for 2 years of my life, and it was great. I must admit, I mainly use tablets for checking websites (for business purposes), etc. and the only reason I purchased the i-Pad was because (even after a reformat) my 101 seemed to be slower than normal for a few weeks(possibly could have been in my head, you know), so when I started using the i-Pad mini, the speed of load was instantly noticeable, so were the colours (UK spelling), the vibrancy, etc. etc. A much more enjoyable experience; but products move on.

I do agree, that I have not compared the i-Pad (I place an - inbetween because the forum seems to be placing a link to Currys for some reason, maybe an affiliate link, or for SEO purposes) to the latest Archos, where maybe the speed of wi-fi, page loading, and overall experience can now be compared to the i-Pad I just started using. I do hope they are on a par, because I still have an affinity with Archos, because at the time of purchase, and the proceeding 2 years, the price at point of sale was perfect for what was received in return, and I had a great little product that I used daily. In fact, many times I said to my wife "This has to be the best product I have ever purchased" - due to how frequently it was used, and how useful it was.

Definitely not an advert for Apple, as you claimed the post sounded like; just an observation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Apple iPad Mini has more pixel front camera (1.2 m vs 0.3 m) , more pixel rear camera (5 m vs 2 m) , more capacity internal storage (16 g vs 8 g) , lighter weight (0.68 lbs vs 1.4 lbs) , thinner depth (0.28 inch vs 0.39 inch) ,
its official page:http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
Meanwhile Archos 101 Platinum has faster processor speed (1.6 ghz vs 1 ghz) , more pixel horizontal resolution (1280 pixel vs 1024 pixel) , wider width (10.3 inch vs 7.87 inch) , higher height (6.7 inch vs 5.3 inch) , more pixel vertical resolution (800 pixel vs 768 pixel)
its official page:http://www.archos.com/us/products/elements/platinum/archos_101platinum/index.html
I personal prefer to Apple iPad Mini, because it get a higher score of 79 at
http://tabletvs.net/compare/Apple-iPad-Mini-vs-Archos-101-Platinum

Other Interesting comparison at:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/ARCHOS-101-Internet-Tablet,Apple-iPad-mini/phones/5280,7523