Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 pm 

Looks like there will be a new competitor, but the screen size only goes up to 8.9" instead of 10.1 or above.

Looks like $300 for the 8.9" version. 1920x1200 resolution. 16GB onboard storage. WiFi Only, Dual-band connectivity.

$500 for the 8.9" with LTE and 32GB onboard.

No mention for RAM on any of them.

They are also offering LTE service for ONLY $50 per YEAR! Oh wait... It only gives 250MB per month. I think I'll pass on that plan.

Same SoC as the new Archos G10 series.

Edit: Adding in Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... indle+fire

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09/06 ... 0-display/

Quote:
Amazon is currently unveiling a slew of new products at its press conference today. One of the headlining slates is the Kindle Fire HD. It will come in two sizes, 7" and 8.9". TheHD tablets will be tied deeply to Amazon's content ecosystem. The 8.9" model will have an astounding 1920x1200 display, and it's bound to be one of the nicest looking displays we've seen in a primarily-content-driven device. Unfortunately, we haven't heard yet what the resolution will be for the 7" device.

Here are the specs (we'll update as we find out more):

OMAP 4470 processor
Dual WiFi-antennas, dual-band, and MIMO support
Dual stereo speakers
16GB or 32GB of storage
HD front-facing camera
Whispersync support for ebooks and audiobooks
X-Ray for books, movies, and textbooks
Starts at $200

Amazon is clearly gunning for the Nexus 7 with this device. With a snide "8GB is dead on arrival" remark from Bezos, it's clear what market he wants the new Kindle Fire HD to corner. The dual WiFi antennas are a nice touch and Amazon clearly wants to make WiFi as fast as possible. Which, for a device lacking any other kind of data connection, is a big deal.

--

In addition to the nice spec boost, Amazon is also introducing a ton of new features for reading and watching content. Whispersync support for audiobooks allows users to sync the place they're at in an audio book with the ebook of the same title. Listen to a chapter, then pick up reading it later where you left off. Nice! X-Ray is another neat feature that, for example, will allow you to tap on an actor in a movie and pull up his or her IMDb page. The future, ladies and gentlemen!

--

There are also a slew of apps that have been customized to work with the Kindle Fire HD, including Skype and Facebook. Whispersync for games will also allow users to keep their unlocked levels even if they have to reinstall or move to a new device. It sounds curiously close to the functionality we should see in the Play Store (and is supported), but is often neglected by game developers. We'll see if it's up to devs on this one as well, or if Amazon handles the syncing.

There will also be parental controls in the form of Kindle FreeTime. Not only can parents set restrictions on what kids may or may not access on the tablet, but they can even dictate how long a child can play. Very handy.

The 7" Kindle Fire HD will retail for $199, while its 8.9" bigger brother comes in at a more expensive $299. Both models begin at 16GB of storage. Pre-orders start today, with shipping beginning September 14th for the 7" model, November 20th for the 8.9"er.

Oh, and just in case you wanted to go big, instead of going home, there will also be an 8.9" Kindle Fire HD version with 32GB of storage and LTE on board for $500. Yes, you read that right. $500 for a fully-loaded, large-screen tablet. For $50 a year you can get access to that network (with a cap of a paltry 250MB a month), 200GB of cloud storage on Amazon (!), and $10 in Amazon credit. This is insane. Like the others, pre-orders start today, and the device will ship by November 20th. Just in time for the holiday season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Good hardware. I would rather stock android on these babies.
I am waiting on ROMs from the devs on xda.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_3?rh= ... 1346963180

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 pm 

When I checked earlier the new devices weren't showing up on Amazon yet. Thanks for posting a link.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:46 am 

1920 x 1200, wow on a 9 inch screen that will be amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have to say that I have pre-ordered both a 7" and an 8.9". I found that when I went out of the country last week that the Kindle Fire was the most practical choice for me, mainly because of the ability to download my Amazon video for offline viewing. I wish Amazon would give us an Android app for video like on the iPad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 am 

I hate the wide bezel, esp on the 7. I liked how a competitor (on a smaller device) announced a zero bezel, just like i suggested some time ago. You should be able to shave with the glass edge of your device. I should have saved the archos marketing slide of them buzz-sawing off the bezels to make gen 8.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm not a fan of the big bezel on the new 7", but I do like the tablet. It is easy to access all my Amazon content and I've been able to sideload most of the apps I use. I do wish it had microSD, but with dropbox and a wieless HDD, I am able to manage.

I really love my 8" Archos tablets, especially for reading manga and watching Netflix (GPS also works well on mine), but when the 8" Fire HD comes out, I probably won't be using my Archos tablets much. As much as I have enjoyed Archos' innovation over the years, I don't see myself getting gen 10 (except maybe the gamepad ;) )