Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Samsung Galaxy Note
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

So finally I decide to buy Samsung Galaxy Note. The reasons are:

1. I need to have a phone that has full android capabilities.
2. I need dual core devices to play HD video and games.
3. The 5.3" screen is gorgeous to behold, fit in my shirt pocket, and altogether nice to hold.
4. The S pen is truly functional.
5. Archos offerings are still full of bugs, software and hardware side. None of them offer mobile call capabilities.

but the downsides compared to my Archos 70it:

1. Can not play MKV and AVIs out of the box. This make me scratch my head...
2. Doesn't have Archos awesome file sytem that can access shared folders on PCs. I need to rely on allshare and its limited media playing capabilities.

All in all, the device is awesome for me. I was waiting for Archos to offer dualcore 5" or 7" tablet, but no luck. So Galaxy Note it is. I don't go to Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus or 7.7 because Note's 5.3" fits my hand nicely and feels lighter than its bigger brothers, and uses standar micro-USB port.

Last edited by Zenstrive on Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy Note
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:23 am 

Congrats on your new purchase.

Can you tell me how easy it is to swap out batteries with the Note. I have also started to see some high mA extended batteries hitting the market. It is similar to an old extended battery for the SSD 605's that comes with a new back. This makes the Note a little thicker but you might get double the video playtime and with a couple of these batteries you might get a good day of video play out of it.

I hope to hear a review after you play with it for some time. Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Kodiak,

you can easily open the back cover and replace the battery. The high capacity aftermarket batteries seem to have added bulk on the backside so I am not keen to use them.

So far the Note feels right for me. I can work, play, and multitask between them fast. The dualcore processors and ample 1 GB Ram helps. Also helping is the ample 1.4 GB install space for applications. I have been adding adds non stops and the Note has not slowed down yet (unlike Archos 70it on native rom). I even have installed seven different camera apps (no more instagram though, it feels dirty after facebook bought them :D ) and use them according to need ;). I tried PS emulators and it worked with high FPS. The 5.3" feels just right for this kind of game. Granted, touchscreen virtual pad is not ideal for this kind of game, but I manage so far :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:54 am 

IMHO it is the ease of changing a battery that makes paying for a more "high" end device a little more palatable. With a normal device that gets used every day you will end up charging it every day. In a year or a year and half that can be over 500 charge cycles and that might be pushing the limit of the little battery. You may start to see significant decrease in battery performance at this time.

Being able to just swap out a new battery adds a whole new life to the unit. The ability to carry an extra spare or two also means that you can leave the house and give it a heavy day or two of use and not need main power for charging.

Can you tell me if the charger is a 5V (5 volt) output for charging the battery. It will usually say so on the charger block that plugs into the wall. If it is 5V this opens up a lot of other remote powering possibilities.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:54 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

1. Can not play MKV and AVIs out of the box. This make me scratch my head...

I'm amazed it can't play avi and MKV files, this was the reason I got the galaxy S wifi 5.0 (similar size, but cheap)
I checked the specs and you are right, it could also do with a lanyard loop so you cna use it with a strap and not drop it!

marcel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:32 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Kodiak wrote:

Can you tell me if the charger is a 5V (5 volt) output for charging the battery. It will usually say so on the charger block that plugs into the wall. If it is 5V this opens up a lot of other remote powering possibilities.

It's 5 V alright.

I really love this whole charging through micro-USB thing. I don't have to struggle to find chargers. Anything that ends in microUSB works. Blackberry chargers, datacable, other cellphone's chargers.

marcel wrote:
I'm amazed it can't play avi and MKV files, this was the reason I got the galaxy S wifi 5.0 (similar size, but cheap)
I checked the specs and you are right, it could also do with a lanyard loop so you cna use it with a strap and not drop it!

Yes, the inability to play avi and MKV files baffled me.
And when I connected it on my Bravia HDTV (through micro-USB-HML-HDMI adapter), it doesn't show subtitle on an MKV video on the TV while it shows the subtitle on the Note.
through
Archos 70it had stereo earphones with a lanyard loop. I tried it with the Note but I don't like the feeling of something this size dangling on my person :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:51 am 

Zenstrive wrote:
2. I need quad core devices to play HD video and games.

Isn't the Galaxy Note only a dual-core 1.4GHz device? Are there other models that are quad-core?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:38 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Harfainx wrote:
Zenstrive wrote:
2. I need quad core devices to play HD video and games.

Isn't the Galaxy Note only a dual-core 1.4GHz device? Are there other models that are quad-core?

Oops, my bad. Dual Core 1.4GHz. The "4" there switched my mind to "Quad" :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:31 pm 

Ok, no problem. I was just wondering if they released something I missed. I could use a quad-core device of about that size. I wouldn't use it for a phone, but rather just a WiFi device.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:42 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Harfainx wrote:
Ok, no problem. I was just wondering if they released something I missed. I could use a quad-core device of about that size. I wouldn't use it for a phone, but rather just a WiFi device.

probably later this year. Samsung has a 5" wifi only Galaxy Player, but the spec is...underwhelming.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:45 am 

i also looked at the note and s2 before getting the one x.
for me the killer was that awlful touch wiz overlay, i really couldnt stand the look of it.
the note overall was a lovely device and i nearly, very nearly pulled the trigger on it.
how are you finding it as a phone? and what is the battery life like, ive been reading some really mixed reviews on both of those items.
roy

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:33 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

roylovelock wrote:
i also looked at the note and s2 before getting the one x.
for me the killer was that awlful touch wiz overlay, i really couldnt stand the look of it.
the note overall was a lovely device and i nearly, very nearly pulled the trigger on it.
how are you finding it as a phone? and what is the battery life like, ive been reading some really mixed reviews on both of those items.
roy

1. I quickly replace Touchwiz with ADW.Launcher EX.
2. I find it adequate as a phone. Big, but not too big as can't be handled.
3. Battery life is mostly six hours for really heavy gaming/video use with packet data on and up to 10 hours for e-book reading, wifi data only.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

roylovelock, Did you look at a Galaxy Nexus?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:20 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Finally, ICS on Galaxy Note today! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:24 am 

oh well, after this thread i did look around, and i eventually gave up on the htc one x as the battery life was killing me. I couldnt go more than 6 hrs normal mp3 useage without it dieing on me.
I bit the bullet and got the note 2, i still hate with a passion touch wiz but getting used to it.
there are some really nice features that sense dosnt - and i dont feel as penned in as i did with sense.
but the main thing is the battery on this monster is awesome, it lasts me 2 days solid with mp3 playback, approx 8hrs video or 4 days on normal standby.
did i mention this thing is rapid!.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I just got the Note 2,had the iPhone 5 since when came out,sent it back and waited for the Note 2.this thing is FANTASTIC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:56 pm 

Congrats on the Note 2 pick up Roy. I just may bite the bullet with this one too. Swapping batteries is just something I have to have. I already pay a fortune for my wifes and my phone so I just might jump.

Let us know if you find any pitfalls with that Note 2.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:10 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Congrats on the Note 2 pick up Roy. I just may bite the bullet with this one too. Swapping batteries is just something I have to have. I already pay a fortune for my wifes and my phone so I just might jump.

Let us know if you find any pitfalls with that Note 2.

ive only found one problem - although i went into it with eyes open to it.
the screen size is massive for a phone, so single handed operation is very difficult even with larger hands. but i already knew that and accepted that before purchase. On that note you can set the phone to be handed but all i found was it made the keyboard smaller and shifted to one side so am happy to stick with two handed operation.
the phone is s good solid purchase, ive had 4 updates to the os since purchase, on my old htc one x i got two before i gave up with the phone in disgust.

Ive also just purchased a google tv (new sony model version 20) and it awesome controlling the machine with any of my android devices. as the note 2 is my primary device its usually the one in hand, sending web pages and videos etc is a breeze.
apple really have to play catch up - the gtv will even do airplay now.

using all the main features like plex, google music, or even just web browsing on the note shows how good android can be with good hardware mix. the machine performs better than my nexus 7 which has suprised me, ive yet to see the hang ups i get occasionally with the nexus 7 (report back later as ota update has just hit the n7).

A big problem i used to get on my htc one x was overheating, i do a lot of travelling, be it to work or our almost bi weekly trips accross the country with the family. I was using the one x to perform navigation and play music with google music, (i have unlimited data and dont want to carry cds in the car anymore), all the data and live gps caused the one x to freeze up and overheat all the time.
the note 2 performs these tasks with none of the agro the htc caused.
it just works lol.

if you get one, multiscreen is awsome, you can view youtube and check emails, web search, send msgs, gtalk, navigate etc all on one split screen.
roy