Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@ loselchuah, the advice given by archos is out of date. The earliest firmware (probably accidentally) allowed the 3G usb port to be used for other things, and a later revision blocked this flexibility. There was a lot of protest, and the capability was restored in the following release. I suspect Archos were putting the restriction in place for three reasons:

1. They do not want to have to test a wide variety of devices in that port;

2. The socket has not been tested - and might not be properly engineered- for frequent inserts and removals; and,

3. certain usb devices could put a strain on the socket, and on the back of the screen.

re the last point, a short usb extension lead can help here.

So, Archos are allowing us to plug other devices in the 3G port, but not encouraging it; it is at our own risk, and there is no guarantee that your device will work. Ideally, of course, Archos would provide us with a way of dual-booting Linux, and then we would be able to experiment with our own drivers...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Nigel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So, bottom line, I can't read a WD 1TB passport from the G3 USB on my G9 80 Turbo 250GB, can't I? I have tried and there is no power.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Have you turned the 3G port on?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

The only computer I have is an ancient iBook G4, which cannot be updated, so I cannot use the Android app to access my Archos 80 G9. I gave up trying, until today, after reading through this thread, and several other forums, and watching several videos.

I did not know that in the back there was a USB port ... !!! I thought that feature was only for Wireless Connection, and was told it is not available in the United States.

I found out just today that I can successfully transfer files between USB Thumb Drives and SDHC Memory Card using my Kingston Card Reader! This is good news and very helpful, especially since this Archos has a huge internal hard drive capacity of 250GB.

I can connect either a USB male to female cable, or simply connect a USB Thumb Drive directly to the back slot. There is one flaw I found in the Archos USB connection in the back ...... The USB Thumb Drives insert >>> Upside Down. One of my USB Thumb Drives cannot connect, because you must hold the slider on the USB Thumb Drive in order to get a solid connection. I might be able to insert something thin, like a letter opener, but not worth the trouble. I have several other thumb drives.

For several years my Archos tablet has had 231GB of free space. Now I can work on loading tons of files .....