Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I have an Archos 70 250GB tablet and I have never updated the firmware. My experience with later Archos devices are that they are a bit buggy, and sometimes the upgrade makes them worse. The only problem I am having is audio skipping on the device. Right now it is on firmware 2.36

1. If I upgrade the firmware, will this lock the hard drive to this unit? Some Archos devices will not allow you to replace the hard drive if it fails. The drive is tied in to the devices firmware somehow. From what I have read, the 70 is not this way, but it is possible Archos added this "feature" to their firmware upgrades.
2. Can the firmware be downgraded if my player is more flakey after an upgrade?

Any help would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

OK...looks like I get no help on this one. I am surprised nobody knows the answer to at least the firmware downgrading. As it turns out, after installing various Android audio apps on various devices I own, the Archos is the only one with the skipping issue. I doubt if any firmware upgrade will fix it. Audio plays fine if all equalization is turned off. The problem is in the Archos hardware. This is dissappointing as there is no other devices on the market like this, but now it is pretty much useless to me. I could try replacing the hard drive with an SSD, but I do not know what type of drive is in this unit, or as I stated in my question, if it is even possible to put another drive in it. Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:43 pm 

The last couple firmwares have settled down to fine tuning, with little of the disruptions of early product cycle - can't see why anyone with complaints wouldn't update. Anyway, in a few seconds you can search (advanced mode) the issue of skipping in the general g8 and a70 forums and find stuff like:

gonemad wrote:
you wont find anything that handles larger collections better than gmmp. If you get skipping with the equalizer on.. lower the amount of bands used and lower the quality.. the archos 5IT can handle 4-5 bands so i'd imagine the A70 would as well since its newer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thank you! I have done a bit of research on this issue with the Archos skipping the last few days. I have tried GMMP, Winamp, PlayerPro, Poweramp, and a few more I cannot think of. All of them skipped when equalization was turned on. I even tried some of the other advanced settings in these players, like buffering, and it does not help. I even looked into a stand alone app called "equalizer" on the Market, but you need 2.3 or above to use it. This device is stuck on 2.2 unless one hacks it. It could have something to do with this device having a hard drive, which is quite a bit slower than the flash memory on most other devices.

I have some of Archos older hard drive based media players, and the nice thing about them was if (When!) the hard drive failed on them, you could easily replace it with another. Archos I guess did not like this, and started making this more difficult to do. I have a 504 where I upgraded the hard drive from 40 to 80 a while back. There is a firmware update to it that will put an end to me doing that again! I wanted to avoid this on the 70 as at some point, this drive will fail and I do not want to, and will not, send the device to Archos to repair. They will charge me more than what it is worth to fix it. I may just do it anyway and see what happens!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:05 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

what kind of skipping is it? like random skips here and there.. or constant stuttering?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

The skipping is very random, but annoying!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:18 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Great! Just updated the firmware to the latest. the skipping is still there, and now my devices battery will drain about 30% overnight when it is OFF!! Apparently I cannot downgrade the firmware unless I hack the tablet, which will probably make it more unstable. I think I have bought my last Archos device!!.;(.