Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:50 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Quote:
On the french forum of ArchosLounge, Plissken007 probably gave us today the best post of this year !

In fact he has discovered in the 605 system repertory the "provider.xtm" file and used a html editor program to see the content...

Here are the future partnerships of Archos ?!?

- VirginMega.fr
- Orange
- Amazon
- AOL
- Best Buy
- MovieLink
- Vongo
- Circuit City
- YouTube
- Alcatel Media Motion

Discuss ;)

Charles
ArchosLounge.NET
US.ArchosLounge.NET

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nothing really for ppl outside N.America and france..........................thats a suprise, not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yes I was pretty underwhelmed by this post too! Nothing to get excited about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

moontan wrote:
nothing really for ppl outside N.America and france..........................thats a suprise, not

As a Canadian I know it's pretty optimistic to think that Canada may be included in "N.America"! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:41 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Yarrenbool wrote:
moontan wrote:

As a Canadian I know it's pretty optimistic to think that Canada may be included in "N.America"! ;)

I totally agree ;) (im Canadian too)

Still no Archos avaible in stores so I ordered at HotMP3Gear...

Charles
ArchosLounge.NET
US.ArchosLounge.NET

Last edited by Charles on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charles wrote:
Yarrenbool wrote:
moontan wrote:

I'm not only in Canada, but I'm in Qu├®bec City, one sometimes wonders if that's even part of Canada! :badgrin: !

I also ordered from HotMP3Gear and, if I'm real lucky, should have my 605-160 by Friday, Monday at the latest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:57 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Yarrenbool wrote:
Charles wrote:
Yarrenbool wrote:
moontan wrote:

I'm not only in Canada, but I'm in Qu├®bec City, one sometimes wonders if that's even part of Canada! :badgrin: !

I also ordered from HotMP3Gear and, if I'm real lucky, should have my 605-160 by Friday, Monday at the latest.

Quebec also ;) Hope I get it this week ^^

Charles
ArchosLounge.NET
US.ArchosLounge.NET

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If that's true then that'd be great! And probably this is just a start!

Following most certainly would affect the North American market:

Quote:
- Amazon

We're talking Amazon Unbox video-on-demand, and does Amazon also have a music service coming up? Also this could be combined with ordering of anything on Amazon in a user-friendly interface compatible with touch-screen and on-TV viewing.

Quote:
- AOL

AOL isn't just AOL is it, that's like the same company as Time Warner, CNN, it owns a lot of stuff doesn't it. AOL has like all sorts of things including video and music on-demand. Just look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL under "Company purchases" there are like 3 dozen companies owned by AOL, most of them providing content on-demand like Engadget for example is owned by AOL, so imagine a special touch-screen and TV compatible interface for Engadget videos and reviews.

Quote:
- Best Buy

That's only like one of the biggest consumer electronics retail store in the USA isn't it, or is it the biggest? And it's got video-on-demand and music services also. Not to mention every of the partners menshionned so far have deals with all the major movie and music producers so they have on-demand distributing rights to virtuall all majors movie and music content and most of them have renting, owning and subscription plans.

Quote:
- MovieLink

Recently bought by Blockbuster. So imagine not only the Movielink now in the Archos Content Portal. Imagine also Moovyplay being licenced by Blockbuster at least as a trial. Thus you could connect your Gen5 Archos or a Moovylink to a distributor on which you would load from a collection of thousands of films at full USb2 speeds, with renting, owning and subscription models available.

Quote:
- Vongo

This is a very interesting "Members pay a flat fee of US$9.99 per month, and have access to unlimited downloads during the 30 day period."

Wouldn't you find it awesome to get access to thousands of films for a flat $10 fee per month? I would certainly like to have that kind of service, one that really gives access to all the films of the world for a flat fee. I don't think Vongo yet has the rights for all the films of the world, but I guess Vongo is working towards that, and possibly that all major movie producers will sign up for this model seing that it does provide an interesting business model for them with income that can only grow the more users subscribe to it.

Quote:
- Circuit City

It's like Best Buy isn't it. They got everything and they plan to sell everything online in terms of video-on-demand and music.

Quote:
- YouTube

Would be awesome to have it just as Dailymotion in a nice touch-screen and TV friendly interface in the Archos Content Portal. With the advantage over iPhone's Youtube integration, that here you've got access to the absolute complete Youtube in instant nice full screen quality. Maybe they can even integrate the Comments, Ratings, Save to Favorites, Add to Playlist and more features. Maybe even integrate the upcomming advertising model as nice overlay targetted ads. A business model for independant video producers and a huge if not the hugest source of video content on the Internet.

Quote:
- Alcatel Media Motion

I think Alcatel knows everything about IPTV, so I guess this could include having access to like thousands of TV channels through streaming. This could perfectly happen now, imagine a system that gives you access to every single channel from the whole world, in nice 1mbit/s or more quality. This can be done using Alcatel networks and their IPTV technology. And Alcatel also leads in terms of digital terrestrial DVB-SH television (combines satellite and terrestrial for more portable coverage then DVB-T), though this would require a module or a Gen6 hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:34 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Nice summary ;)

Charles
ArchosLounge.NET
US.ArchosLounge.NET

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let's hope Archos doesn't get in trouble with some of these partners because of what you moderators of the ArchosLounge site didn't moderate on your forum.. Who knows, maybe some of these partnerships are still "under construction", and maybe some of them won't like the potential Engadget stories that could come out of it. So I would advise you to put a large "UNCONFIRMED" on your story.

Cause really, has anyone been able to confirm that there indeed is a provider.xtm file in the System directory? Has anyone been able to confirm Plissken007's identity (maybe he could be a newly registered boursorama short term broker, looking to shake up the stock value tomorrow morning, or looking to pressure Archos into revealing more details about the actual partnerships that really are under construction)? Or has anyone got a confirmation from Archos that the information is true? Even asked Archos to comment on the story (normally, good reporters always try to contact at least the companies or people involved in a story before publishing)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:51 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Charbax wrote:
Let's hope Archos doesn't get in trouble with some of these partners because of what you moderators of the ArchosLounge site didn't moderate on your forum.. Who knows, maybe some of these partnerships are still "under construction", and maybe some of them won't like the potential Engadget stories that could come out of it. So I would advise you to put a large "UNCONFIRMED" on your story.

Cause really, has anyone been able to confirm that there indeed is a provider.xtm file in the System directory? Has anyone been able to confirm Plissken007's identity? Or has anyone got a confirmation from Archos that the information is true?

The post have been removed from the forum for a couple of hours the time that ArchosLounge contact Archos about the issue.

I don't know all the story but after a news have been posted and the topic reopened.

Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can anyone confirm the presence of this provider.xml file in the /system/ folder?

In the ArchosLounge forum, Deckard says there is also Vizumi which would be part of Arts Alliance Media, which is the UK's number one video-on-demand provider: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_Alliance_Media we also heard about Arts Alliance Media from Henri Crohas, it's supposed to have the rights for all the movies from all the majors:

Quote:
AAM's Vizumi Network currently carries content from 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros. and independents such as Momentum, Tartan, Icon, Artificial Eye and Revolver.

So you british people will also be covered with like every movie ever made, don't worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If you think vongo is a great video service, order a pizza from dominoes and get the free trial. I did, and 95% of the good movies you have to pay a separate fee for. Most of their stuff is 5 years old or public domain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How much is the separate fee for the certain movies on the Vongo service? I guess that they must be working on getting larger catalogues included in the unlimited monthly subscription fee. Cause the more titles are available, the more people will want to subscribe, and the more better titles are available, the longer people stay subscribed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

4 USD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:56 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

tbh I'm surprised if the majority of us didn't already know this.

checking out what files were in the system folder was basically done on the first day I got the 605 and even after seeing all the different providers I didn't really care much :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is like 25 iTunes in one..

Which providers do you think is missing? Which content would you like? Maybe we should do a content wish-list..

I'd like Stage6 for the Archos Content Portal and Last.fm for the Webradio plugin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Some european wide partner if there is such a company. Every single one above apart from youtube is for France and the US/Canada. So if you dont live in those countries, the archos control panel is waste of time, you may aswell have an option to hide it. Im in Ireland and im never going to have option to download/rent movies on the archos control panel. Theres a slim chance they could someone could offer music, but cant see Archos bothering with other countries.

Free stuff like mentioned above like stage6 wpuld be great, but you would have thought archos would have had them already if they were interested. There gonna need to upgrade the flash if they want more providers. There lucky youtube and dailymotion are still using flash 7 but I doubt they'll stick with that forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think Youtube and Dailymotion are using the latest version of .flv flash video. It's just some of the other sites that care less about the video media and more about fancy animated buttons they want to put around the video so they choose to use .swf shockwave flash to embedd their videos. Which I think .swf really is the old type of flash and .flv is the new one.

I guess Vizumi Arts Alliance Media might cover Ireland. "AAM's Vizumi Network currently carries content from 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros. and independents such as Momentum, Tartan, Icon, Artificial Eye and Revolver."

I'm sure also there will be some of the US and French providers that will provide also content to the worldwide audiences. Cause I think that they will quickly realise it doesn't make much sence not to utilise the Internet internationally. So I think there already are catalogues which each provider will be able to sell worldwide, and I think that VOD rights will more and more be handled in a worldwide manner.

At least the goal should be that every single piece of movie and music should be available in every single country, no matter who is the actual name of the distributor at the end of the chain. So I think that it could become automatic, and I hope that Archos is planning a layer on top of the Archos Content Portal that lets you for example search for a movie title to display all the online stores that have it available, instead of going manually in each store and search separately in each store. As well as I think Archos could handle recommendations accross all content partners..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

well supposedly microsoft are going to announce a proper video download service in Europe very soon for xbox live. So maybe if that does well, some other big company will try aswell.