Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

It took me some time to find out how to do it, but here it is:

Pictures of the Battery Dock opened up:
www.gma.name/a605/batterydock/

It is quite straight-forward: There are three (standard philipps) screws under the Label and another two under the taped on aluminum part.

G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Another great post from you! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Andy W wrote:
Another great post from you! :D

Ain't that the truth!

Strange that Fuse314 is still shown as "Archos novice" on the left hand side of messages when he posts them! :!: !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Fuse314 wrote:
It took me some time to find out how to do it, but here it is:

Pictures of the Battery Dock opened up:
www.gma.name/a605/batterydock/

It is quite straight-forward: There are three (standard philipps) screws under the Label and another two under the taped on aluminum part.

G.

EXCELLENT!!
We are lucky to have such great members who go the extra mile while exploring and document at each step.

One question I have for you. Does it appear that the battery inside is 2 cells back to back? Did you get a chance to measure the voltage? If these are just standard Lithium Ion Cells (the kind that go into notebook batteries) they will also be easily replaceable when the time comes.
The two cells if they were in series should measure around 7.4 volts. and are easily purchased cheap.

EDIT: It looks like there is only enough room for 1 cell in there as I get looking at it.♦♠

Last edited by honeymonkey on Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

honeymonkey wrote:
One question I have for you. Does it appear that the battery inside is 2 cells back to back? Did you get a chance to measure the voltage? If these are just standard Lithium Ion Cells (the kind that go into notebook batteries) they will also be easily replaceable when the time comes.
The two cells if they were in series should measure around 7.4 volts. and are easily purchased cheap.

I haven't actually measured the voltage, but in the packaging of the dock it is stated that the battery is a 3.7V, 2400mAh battery. So I do believe that it is a standard LiIon Cell in there.
If there are LiIon Cells >2400mAh with the same physical size, I would even say that you could "upgrade" your battery easily (although the battery is soldered directly to the circuit board (as is the battery inside the a605). )
However there is very little room inside the battery dock. It is taped to both the lower and the upper part of the dock and there is no room to the left and right as well due to the circuit board.

G.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks for your kind words :D
I usually look inside the gadgets I buy. I'm just too curious to see what I was paying for.
Usually don't take pictures, though...

@Yarrenbool: The status on the left depends on the number of posts a member has made, not on the quality ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Fuse314 wrote:
honeymonkey wrote:

I haven't actually measured the voltage, but in the packaging of the dock it is stated that the battery is a 3.7V, 2400mAh battery. So I do believe that it is a standard LiIon Cell in there.
If there are LiIon Cells >2400mAh with the same physical size, I would even say that you could "upgrade" your battery easily (although the battery is soldered directly to the circuit board (as is the battery inside the a605). )
However there is very little room inside the battery dock. It is taped to both the lower and the upper part of the dock and there is no room to the left and right as well due to the circuit board.

G.

Oh, so it is a standard cell...SO COOL!
This is great news. We won't have to send it back to Archos for battery replacement. These cells are cheap and you can buy them even now with a higher capacity than 2400mAh. I just measured a standard cell and they are 65mm X 19mm aprox. I hope they fit. It would have been nice it Archos designed it with a pop off battery cover as they now make Lithium cells just like AA standard batteries only 3.7v, but this is almost as good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

OK, Not sure if this has been asked/answered already but does this Gen 5 Battery Dock work with Gen 4's? (and yes I did a quick search before posting......) Anyone got one and access to a Gen 4 Archos to test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Andy W wrote:
OK, Not sure if this has been asked/answered already but does this Gen 5 Battery Dock work with Gen 4's? (and yes I did a quick search before posting......) Anyone got one and access to a Gen 4 Archos to test?
We don't believe you...j/k

I can't see why it wouldn't Andy. I've been told the gen 4 docking adapter still charges the 605 so If the pinout is the same, I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great! That's what I thought and was hoping and just wanted a confirmation...You see I still don't understand why the Gen 4 Docking Adapter won't work with a Gen 5 (for USB transfer.... but will charge it, as outlined on another post.)

Is it simply that the "power pins" are the same but some of the others are now different (because of changes to video out etc.)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Andy W wrote:
Great! That's what I thought and was hoping and just wanted a confirmation...You see I still don't understand why the Gen 4 Docking Adapter won't work with a Gen 5 (for USB transfer.... but will charge it, as outlined on another post.)

Is it simply that the "power pins" are the same but some of the others are now different (because of changes to video out etc.)?
Yeh, it kinda sucks that the USB transfer is different and I have no idea why they would screw with that. There must be a good reason. I mean they would not intentionally do it to make us buy a gen5 docking adapter would they ?

It seems to me Andy that I read an official release that Gen5 acessories would work on Gen4, but not the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted a link to this thread and to your page at:

http://archosfans.com/2007/08/18/a-look ... tery-dock/

It does look cool!

Now I'm also looking forward to the Bluetooth and HSDPA Dock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Andy W wrote:

Looks like we need to revisit this question Andy. I just read something on ArchosLounge that says no. I don't think anything was lost in the translation, but people with Gen4 devices had better check with Archos before purchasing a battery dock

Quote:

ArchosLounge Says:

Compatibility 4G/5G

Battery Dock is not compatible with the 4G: my 604 cannot indeed connect above.
JPG - 2.1 Mo

Contrary, Docking Adapter 4G is completely compatible with the 405: USB Host and power pack function perfectly. On the other hand, of course, this accessory 4G does not add of anything the video exit from now on absent from the walkman itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

And a review of the Battery Dock:

http://www.archoslounge.net/Battery-Doc ... paper.html

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:23 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This is the second confirmation that the G4 Docking adapter DOES work with the G5. It apparently charges and the host function works. In another post on here someone said the contrary. I guess its one thing I will have to check out for sure.
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=5888
Quote:
G4/G5 compatibility

The Battery Dock isnÔÇÖt compatible with the G4 : my 604 canÔÇÖt be plugged on it.

On the contrary, the Docking Adapter of the G4 is fully compatible with the G5 : USB host and AC in work perfectly. On the other hand, G4 accessories dont provide the video output currently absent on G5 players

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

is it possible to trace the 2 usb HOST signal lines back to the dock connector?
or is the pinout published elsewhere?

looking for usb pins on the archos 5 IT

/Rune Kyndal