Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So I've had this player for quite some time now and I haven't really had any problems with it(besides the usual freezing) until recently.

Okay, so I use it at work frequently for maybe 4-6 or so hours constantly playing music(occasionally youtube or videos) and it has been skipping to the next track randomly. It used to only do it every once in a while, but now it is just constantly skipping songs!! At first I thought that it was because I had been playing playlists since it'd always freeze when playing a playlist. I'll be playing a song and suddenly it'll spurt and then play the next song. The counter will stop where it skipped the current track but it still plays the next track.
With some songs it will just stop playing and take me to the home screen.
I also noticed this with my videos! It just stops playing videos and freezes.
I have already cleared everything, reformatted it, and re-uploaded the firmware but to no avail. It still does this and I don't know if I'm re-adding corrupt files or if it's the HDD going out?? It sometimes makes loud clicking noises. It's been running slow lately and also when I try to transfer things from the Archos to my computer, it'll just freeze windows explorer.

I've looked it up and for some people it seems to be a common problem with no fix but I think it might be the HDD. I just don't want to waste $100 or so on another HDD if it's going to keep doing the same thing. Any suggestions?? I bought it used so no warranty.
Thanks in advance! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Issue solved(For now-I think). After leaving it alone for a couple of days(and having bought my Archos 70 250GB being another reason I hadn't used it) I finally picked it up to try to run my anti-virus to scan the device but it wouldn't see it. So I went through the settings once more and then went to About Device, and then Repair and Formatting Tools settings.
I went to Mass Storage File System Format and noticed that it was on Windows(Compatibility Mode- FAT32) *I don't know if it had always been like that or if I had changed it at one point or another* so I decided to change it to the Default(HD Compliant- ext3). Then I thought, well why not add some files to it and see if me doing this worked since it reformatted it again?
And thus, so far I haven't had anymore problems with it. I've only copied one video file to it and now seems to play videos once more.
I copied the music files that weren't working smoothly and they seem to work.
I guess it was just a bug of some sort when I copied the files from my computer? Maybe it has to do with the fact that both of my computers are 64-bit and it was causing an error?

I'm not sure but I'm actually glad to have my Archos 5 500GB back since I can easily put it into my pocket and not to mention that the viewing angles on this thing are better than the Archos 70 so I can surf and watch movies without having to do adjustments as I've had to do with the Archos 70.

Anyway, if you guys who have been having problems with this sort of thing try this, it might work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

it shouldnt matter if your computer is 32 or 64bit... but what you describes sounds like either the files were getting corrupted or the player had trouble reading the file. It would make sense for the music player to just skip to the next file if it encountered an error with the current playing track