Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

oh i see..
I also know A5 interface is belong to CE-ATA LIF

now need to find where to get the casing just in case cannot use HD still can use

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mediate wrote:
dondep, your hard drive is likely entirely dead. The please wait is usually referring to prepping the hard drive to be mounted so that you can transfer an update to "fix" it. Format and recovery menu will do you no good here. To replace it, either you go the Archos route (recommended as you get a 1 yr warranty as well) or the DIY route. I'm guessing from your prefious post you're not going the Archos route ... so ... here's the DIY route for you:
- Follow this teardown guide if you have a 120/250GB unit. Follow this teardown guide if you have a 60GB/3G unit.
- If you have a 120/250GB unit, you need to purchase a 2.5" SATA drive. They are notebook drives and you can find them for very cheap on newegg (~$50 for a 320 GB). If you have a 60GB model, you need a 1.8" ZIF drive. Again, these are notebook drives however be prepared to pay a bit more for them (all I find on newegg are SATA SSD' ... not really helping I know but those drives are harder to find ...)
- Once you've got access to both the internal drive and the replacement drive, replace them.
- Put it all back together properly.
- Boot up your Archos into recovery mode.
- Format it from your Archos.
- Install patched firmware from here.
- Make sure it completes successfully. Congrats. You've fixed it.

There ya go!

Hi,

2-years on from this discussion (sorry) - my Archos 5 HDD (250gb) has just died.
That's why I'm late to this chat!

It seems a fairly easy fix, using this guide, so I'm tempted to buy a 1tb HDD, and consider the crash to be a bit of good luck, rather than bad.
Some discussions have suggested the firmware on my device might prevent me swapping or upgrading my HDD - is that true?
I've no idea what firmware is on it (as its dead - the power is there, & it tries to start, but fails)
Is it safe for me to buy an expensive new 1tb HDD, & proceed with confidence?

And, just out of interest (given I'm a novice, and you guys are experts), did any of the patched firmwares or jailbreaks ever overcome the Macrovision protection on the Archos?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:34 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

RayzorKatman wrote:
Hi,

2-years on from this discussion (sorry) - my Archos 5 HDD (250gb) has just died.
That's why I'm late to this chat!

It seems a fairly easy fix, using this guide, so I'm tempted to buy a 1tb HDD, and consider the crash to be a bit of good luck, rather than bad.
Some discussions have suggested the firmware on my device might prevent me swapping or upgrading my HDD - is that true?
I've no idea what firmware is on it (as its dead - the power is there, & it tries to start, but fails)
Is it safe for me to buy an expensive new 1tb HDD, & proceed with confidence?

And, just out of interest (given I'm a novice, and you guys are experts), did any of the patched firmwares or jailbreaks ever overcome the Macrovision protection on the Archos?

You may be out of luck. If your device was pre-patched, you'll be able to swap without any problems. Otherwise, you won't be able to install patched firmware. If you can force that hard drive to spin up, even for 5 minutes, you can patch it really quickly. Very highly risky to do so though. I think what would be best here is to see if you can get a service such as this one to repair it for you. Junior, on these forums, used to have a site dedicated to performing the repairs, however, he has since closed it down (shame ... :( ). He has created this topic which demonstrates how to change a hard drive serial number. He talks about how to do it in that tutorial. I am not 100% sure if he has completed writing it (there may still be some parts of it to come; this isn't really the most active subforum anymore ;) ) however follow that topic to find out. To be 100% sure, I would strongly recommend that you first try to get a working "official" drive so that, if anything happens, you have your backup drive handy and ready. Good luck, and I apologize for the length of time it took me to reply. I generally try to reply to people here sooner than 2 months.

And I am not sure what the Macrovision protection is on the Archos. I have never come across any issues with playback of music, and issues with videos stemmed from incorrect codecs (I fixed them with Super 8, generally work afterwards).