Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Busted Screen...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey...

Have an Archos 43 Vision. Not very old. Last week the touchscreen began to pack up, became virtually unusable... it seemed like the screen only had a couple of 'sweet spots' where touch sensitivity would work, and in applying pressure to try to get the screen to respond, the touch sensistive substrate (I presume) cracked beneath the outer plastic layer. The device turns on, of course, but does not react to touch, and has a dirty great crack across the screen diagonally.

Neither the vendor nor Archos want to know. For them, crack=damage from external source=invalidated warranty.

Best I've been offered is 25% off another fragile, flimsy Archos device.

Given the fact that I've had to return two crap A101 Tablets, and now this 43Vision in the space of 6 months, and have now made the move to Asus Transformer tablet and become a very happy man, I'm not overly enthused at the idea that the £85 43 Vision I bought no more than 5-6 weeks ago is now worth a paltry £20-£25 against the retail price of the next closest equivalent model (not including any shipping that I get charged too, for sending the thing back to Archos and receiving my replacement)...

I've found services online which claim to repair Archos devices, but when I mention this one, and the fault in question, they all go shy and claim not to have the parts to repair the device...

Does anyone know of anywhere that does, or any way that I can do an effective DIY repair with a suitable replacement part?