Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Every time I hit the power button it just cycles through the "Archos - Entertainment Your Way" screen. I have tried the mini reset button on the bottom, tried connecting it to the computer, let it reset until it died, repairing, formatting, and updating. Nothing seems to work. Everything just leads back to the cycle. I press format and it says please wait than resets. Anyone have some suggestions or should I RMA and send it back to receive my 5th Archos 5 of the year?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Sounds like a cashed hard drive.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm going to ask a couple of strange questions. Any coincidence that I have the same problem after the latest firmware update ? I had absolutely no problems up until this point. Does this mean I package the thing up and send it back ?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Muzzo wrote:
I'm going to ask a couple of strange questions. Any coincidence that I have the same problem after the latest firmware update ? I had absolutely no problems up until this point. Does this mean I package the thing up and send it back ?

I have read numerous reports here over the last couple of years where people have had the exact same problem right after upgrading the firmware (you are not the only case). Not sure if it is sheer coincidence, or a problem with the firmware. But the fact that the problem doesn't seem to be all that rare, I'm thinking the firmware update has somehow caused the problem, although I have no proof, nor would Archos ever admit to it. If it is still under warranty, I'd send it back ASAP.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:57 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

IllChillKyle wrote:
Every time I hit the power button it just cycles through the "Archos - Entertainment Your Way" screen. I have tried the mini reset button on the bottom, tried connecting it to the computer, let it reset until it died, repairing, formatting, and updating. Nothing seems to work. Everything just leads back to the cycle. I press format and it says please wait than resets. Anyone have some suggestions or should I RMA and send it back to receive my 5th Archos 5 of the year?

5th Archos in one year? That means your warranty may still be alive! Is the hard disk making weird scratching sounds? If so, it's busted, and there's nothing you can do to fix it other than RMA-ing it again. As SHADO said,
SHADO wrote:
If it is still under warranty, I'd send it back ASAP.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Amazing how you can go from what a wonderful piece of kit it is, to how I feel at the moment which is I don't want anything to do with Archos ever again. I may calm down !! Coincidence !! Never, but as you said they aint ever going to admit it. So not only would I have to buy another one which means they keep mine (wonder what they will do with it ?), no answer to what caused the fault.

Got to say, rubbish.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:02 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Well .. there's been some reports that people have issues with teh newest firmware. If it's still under warranty, I'd call em up and ask if they can help. Even if it isn't, you can ask if there's anything that you can do to fix it. Maybe the firmware update got corrupt and needs reapplication. Maybe it is your hard disk. Maybe you just got a bad boot and you need patched firmware (over here). I don't know really. I'd call em up though. Best to get official support than to void any warranty that you may or may not have had.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Out of warranty with no help from Archos, other than a discount on a new one.

Can anyone advise me how to reapply the firmware. My laptop will not recognise my Archos.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:00 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

What do you mean, "It can't recognize your Archos"? It can't recognize when in PC-Hard Drive mode, or WMP mode? If you go into recovery mode, does it recognize then? (That is, power off completely, hold vol+ button and power on, then go to repair, and connect)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mediate, I do believe you are on to something. I can view all of the files on my hard drive from my PC, which has got to be a good sign. I still cant get past the 'entertainment your way' screen but this is surely a software problem, don't you think ?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:14 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Possibly a software problem. Also possible a hard disk problem (only if your hard disk ever made weird scratching noises upon accessing, or is making those noises) or a cabling problem (the usb cable itself is broken. This is usually easy to fix as long as you've got some experience soldering. If not ... I suggest you buy another one. It's only ~$10 from amazon anyway ... ). In first two cases, you may need to reapply the firmware you're on. If your hard drive is broken, patched is the only way to go (swap that thing out for another one, then apply patched firmware only). If not, I suggest you apply Archos' official firmware first, and if you're still stuck, apply patched. Everything can be (or rather, should be) done through the recovery menu. Here's the instructions:
[list=]
[*]Make sure your device is ENTIRELY powered off.
[*]Hold the Vol+ key and turn on your device. You'll access the Archos G6H Recovery menu. Select "repair disk" by pressing vol- until it get s to repair disk, then press power.
[*]Connect it to your computer (Can you access it now?) and copy the firmware update to the ROOT of your device. Then, safely remove and press power on your archos. It will install.
[*]If all goes well, you go past Entertainment Your Way and are now using your device again. If not ... try patched firmware.[/list]

Hope it all helps!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well my Archos is now sort of working. With thanks to a bloke at work and Mediate.

I guess atleast i have access to what was on it.

It wont connect to PC or my DVD player but atleast I have something of some use. It also shuts itself down after a couple of minutes, great.

I certainly will not be accepting any Firmware updates ever again.