Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As the subject indicates, after a couple months of usage, the prong inside the DC-IN jack on my Archos 101 has broken off. From the research that I've done, it seems that you cannot somehow solder the prong back on - you have to replace the entire DC-IN unit. :cry:

I'm going to go ahead and attempt it, as my Archos is now less useful than a doorstop. (It's too thin. The door swings right over it. I tried.)

So, does anyone have experience with this? Can anyone point me toward a proper replacement unit? Is this something I could pick up at a local Radio Shack, or would this be something I'd have to get from Archos or a specialty shop?

I'm determined to get more than 60 days of use out of what was otherwise a fantastic purchase. I'm really, really hoping that this isn't a lost cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Not sure where you live, but it could be worth e-mailing Archos and getting it RMA'd. I live in UK and a few years ago I dropped my AV560 and the hard disc stopped working, even though it was out of warrenty I contacted Archos to see about repair, they gave me a RMA number, picked it up by courier, repaired and returned it FOC. If yours is only 60 days old then its still under warrenty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My ARCHOS 101 got same failed issue as you(DC in Jack soldering pin were broken off),
I immediately sent back to ARCHOS China service center for repairing by February/7th.
fortunately I was awaiting almost 1 month until March/9th get one new A101 for
replacement!

For you information: Normally ARCHOS take 1 month to repair failed unit (including
Fedex delivery time)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Do you know how one can open the screws at the back? I cannot figure out which screwdriver can one use to open them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I broke my pin just now. How much did they charge you to replace the DC prong? Appreciate your help in the matter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:09 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

sazfar13 wrote:
Do you know how one can open the screws at the back? I cannot figure out which screwdriver can one use to open them.

The screw is a torx T5
You can buy a Kobalt driver at Lowes that has 8 tips T4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 15
Tips are in the handle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

How do you guys manage to break the pin?
Just wanna know so i don't the same thing. tks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am awaiting for RMA reply from archos ......but just to let you know i retrived the broken pin using a sawing needle from down the centre of archos charger cable jack plug .
Going by the size of pin and looking at dc socket after opening up arcos, I have slid pin back down center of jack plug and left enough out to be able to glue in place with out covering end. Hopefully end of pin will connect with its broken bit in dc socket on archos and be able to charge.

I recently upgraded to non archos software , do you think i shoul reload archos software if they ask for it back ...it is a component problem notsoftware problem but could they refuse to fix?

Waiting for glue to dry will let you know what happens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

cheggers_uk wrote:
I am awaiting for RMA reply from archos ......but just to let you know i retrived the broken pin using a sawing needle from down the centre of archos charger cable jack plug .
Going by the size of pin and looking at dc socket after opening up arcos, I have slid pin back down center of jack plug and left enough out to be able to glue in place with out covering end. Hopefully end of pin will connect with its broken bit in dc socket on archos and be able to charge.

I recently upgraded to non archos software , do you think i shoul reload archos software if they ask for it back ...it is a component problem notsoftware problem but could they refuse to fix?

Waiting for glue to dry will let you know what happens

Wipe it clean and put ARCHOS software on it. They wipe it anyway, and you wont get the same one back most likely.