Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've been vexed for some time about my Archos 70 IT not being able to mount an external 2.5" HDD. I have a USB battery to power the drive through a Y-shaped cable, but this seemed to be causing my 70IT to think it was connected to a PC and so would automatically go into client mode and offer itself to be mounted.

This issue has been discussed in a number of places, and it seems that the problem is indeed caused by the extra power from the battery flowing through to the micro-USB connection. My solution was to isolate this power by modifying a USB host cable (as suggested by others elsewhere). I was a little unsure at first, but it turned out to be quite easy to do, so I thought I'd share.

Firstly, I bought a cable on Ebay for about $8. This one has transparent ends which make it easy to see what you're doing, but I don't think it matters which one you get.

The next thing I did was to use a sharp penknife to cut horizontally through the plastic along both sides of the female end, for about 2.5cm (1 inch). This allowed me to bend the cover back to expose the wires.

The power is carried by the red wire, so I cut that to break the connection.

Then I just put a little glue along each of the sides that I'd cut, and you can barely tell that the cable has been modified. It all took me about 10 minutes to do, and works perfectly! Now the Archos 70 IT detects my HDD as an external device every time.

One thing to note is that since there is no power flowing through this cable you cannot use it for any devices that don't have their own power.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:00 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Sweet, excellent post! Thanks Apgad!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No wonder my self powered drive cannot work. It only works when I used a hub. But then, if you cut that red cable, USB thumbdrives will not work (anyways not many work using the correct cables...-___-""). Thanks for tip, will try it out tonight. I got the same looking cables (working) from ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Bonn wrote:
No wonder my self powered drive cannot work. It only works when I used a hub. But then, if you cut that red cable, USB thumbdrives will not work (anyways not many work using the correct cables...-___-"")..

That's right, and yes - not many work anyway!

I haven't tried this, but I suppose sticking a female mini to female regular USB adaptor at the end of the cable that plugs into the HDD would allow you to connect a USB thumbdrive. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-Female-Mini-USB-5-Pin-Female-Adapter-Converter-/220660218795?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item33605fbbab
It might even work with thumbdrives that currently don't work as Archos can't supply enough power.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OMG.. thank you so much.. Just clipped the red wire and Bam!! My WD 2.5 7200RPM external usb HD showed perfect formated to NTFS. Thank you.. thank you.. Please,, what Battery pack to buy now for the HD?? Wow.. on cloud nine the rest of the day..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

How long does that DURACELL last with the Portable harddrive? What type of portable drive is that?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The drive is a 500GB LG model HXD5. I got it a few years back as a free gift with another LG purchase, and didn't really have much of a use for it until I got the Archos 70IT. I bought the 8GB version rather than the 250GB one as I knew I had this extra storage space ready to be used.

I can't say exactly how long the battery will power the drive. The longest I've used it would be about 2 and a bit hours, but since there is no gauge on it I don't know how much charge remained at that stage. It has a capacity of 1150mAh, so if the drive takes the full 500mA then that might be about all you get.

I also bought a USB-DC cable that fits the Archos power connection, and a full Duracell battery recharges the internal battery about a third full. It's also good as an emergency back-up for phones, satnavs etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Is there a special type of Y cable you bought and where did you get it?

Thanks for the quick reply.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The cable I have came with the drive, but you can get them for a dollar or so on Ebay. Just search for "usb y cable" and you'll see a stack of them. Then only thing to make sure of is the size of the end that connects to your drive. The most common is mini-USB, but you can also get regular size and micro.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Here is what I've got looking for some input. I tried to change the modification slightly, any input would be appreciated.

I have an Archos A70. I have been using some generic 2GB usb flash drives in host mode with the Nokia host mode cable, no problem except the size of the FD.

I purchased the following in the attempt to not have to switch our the FD when traveling so much for movies etc.

Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 (G2) USB Flash Drive (Red)

This device gives the USB Host Error " The device requires too much power" when connected to the host cable directly. So I decided to attempt to build a Y cable with the following. I though I could do it this way, maybe not...

The male end of an old USB cable for the additional power plug

3ft USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable

7800mAh Universal External Backup Battery

http://www.amazon.com/PoweRocks-Stone3-7800mAh-Tablets-eReaders/dp/B0053U3W0M

So I went to the female end of the A to A extension cable and cut the Power wire with about an inch or so to spare and connected the extra male end to the Red and Black wires. I left the Black wire intact on the Extension cable just cutting the red wire.

After testing with and exisiting known working 2GB flash drive that it was getting the power from the External battery. I plugged in the 8GB and I still get the USB Host Error " The device requires too much power" just as I did when plugged it into the Host cable directly.

The reason I did not cut the power line in the host cable is so I can use it again with devices that don't require the external battery.

Is the 8GB sending something in its ID to tell the Archos 70 that it is a high powered device? Or do I have to cut the power line in the Host cable? Why?