Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the battery of my 101 are dead ,i cant find them enywere help,i love my device butt the are complete dead i desoldered the battery's already :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Sounds like it was something that would have been covered by warranty...

... until you desoldered the battery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

fray4djacent wrote:
Sounds like it was something that would have been covered by warranty...

... until you desoldered the battery.

Agreed!! :shock:

Guess you're stuck now... try looking at mouser or digi key for batteries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

here a image from the battery http://picasaweb.google.com/stefke0066/ ... 1572967122

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:23 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I note a few interesting factoids (for the moment overlooking your brave, but ultimately stupid attempt at "surgery 101" -- pun very intended) :
- that's a 6 Ah battery! Didn't know that. Serious juice under the hood.
- if that's the manufacturing date, and it's similar for the rest of the batch, we don't have to worry about battery degradation for quite some time.
- it looks like a seriously customized LiPol battery. Are we sure replacements are available off-the-shelf?

Not very helpful, I know, but I was aiming for Quite Interesting. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I checked around the Radio Control battery sources I use and most 1 cell (3.7v) lipos only go up to around 1200 mAh. 6Ah is pretty huge for that voltage. Plus I'm sure the form factor is somewhat unique. May be a very hard find.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i now some of you think i was stupid ,by desoldering the batteries myself ,butt a took the device first to the shop ,it was there for tree weeks ,en the told me there is no warranty ,it was my own foult,en the cant repair it ether,all i dit was charged over night en in the morning the device smelt burned see pictures ,butt it still works on the ac charger http://picasaweb.google.com/10042858265 ... KaHzqWeUw#

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Wow. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a trend.

In all honesty, I have very little confidence in this gen8 firmware managing charge levels on li-poly batteries. The chemistry is much more sensitive to overcharging (and cell imbalance if not all these gen8's are single cell) than li-ion or ni-mh. google "lipo fire" if you want to join my paranoia.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:14 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

frank,

I agree, I converted my mountain bike to an electric bike. My old runners knees couldn't take the hills of Montana, where I retired. I built a second battery last year and would have loved to have gone with LiPoly for the high C ratings (meaning more power). However, the chemistry is very volatile and subject to catching fire if over charged or discharged too deeply (those using larger cells for e-bikes dread seeing swelling, which precedes thermal events, i.e., fire). You need special chargers that monitor individual cells in packs with multiple cells and you need to monitor energy use to prevent discharging too deeply and have a cutoff system when they reach that point. I have similar equipment for monitoring the Lithium Iron Phosphate (LIFEPO) battery that I built, but it's not for fear of thermal instability, but to ensure I get the maximum life from the cells in my battery. All the newer battery technology claims to have more charging cycles than lead acid, but only if they're charged and discharged at safe rates. Given the higher expense for these technologies, you need to baby them or they may not live as long as lead acid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:51 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

OP,

It looks like your LiPoly cells were experiencing the beginning of a thermal event, you're lucky they didn't burst into flame. You should report this to Archos and to an appropriate consumer affairs bureau within your country (send photos, too). If Archos has a design flaw, especially using LiPoly cells, they need to know and make design adjustments, ASAP. For anyone who thinks that's over reacting, LIPOLY batteries are so volatile, that your warned to not charge them inside a structure that could burn down and you're advised to put them in a special, anti-explosion bag when charging. Swelling is the first sign of a thermal event beginning. Here's a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-AoAYrEy-o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

stefke66 wrote:
i now some of you think i was stupid ,by desoldering the batteries myself ,butt a took the device first to the shop ,it was there for tree weeks ,en the told me there is no warranty ,it was my own foult,en the cant repair it ether,all i dit was charged over night en in the morning the device smelt burned see pictures ,butt it still works on the ac charger http://picasaweb.google.com/10042858265 ... KaHzqWeUw#

How can warranty be up when it is a 1 year warranty except for the screen which would be determined by Archos?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Update for now i cant find the batterys.so i decided to try somthing else, i took 2 nokia cell phone batterys rated at 850 mhp. The originals are 6000 mhp rated.and my device works again i get 5 hours with these thinny batterys ,heavely use.so am happy for now. I cant close de device perfect. The batterys are 5 mm widh.so i need thinner ones.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:03 am 
Archos User
Archos User

@mke73 and you other battery experts. What are your recommendations for charging/discharging the Archos battery to ensure a long (and safe) life! Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How is it possible that archos won't warranty it?

I'd send them an email with the pictures and say you'll send the pics to Engadget if they don't want to fix it for you. Bulging batteries is bad and would be bad for business, especially if they won't fix the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:04 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

nochedelmono wrote:
@mke73 and you other battery experts. What are your recommendations for charging/discharging the Archos battery to ensure a long (and safe) life! Thanks

Avoid deep discharges if you can; avoid temperature extremes; if you use a different charger, try to find one with the same specs or, if that's not possible, always go for lower amps (the 101 has a 2 amp charger).

Charge the battery often, ideally whenever you see the opportunity. Not topping off won't harm it, but charging fully is always better. Don't leave the 101 on the charger for days on end (it's not harmful for the battery per se, but it will raise the temperature unnecessarily). The same goes for the habit of using the device on mains for long periods: Don't. It heats up the device and can shorten battery lifetime dramatically.

Basically there are two rules of thumb:

1. Keep the battery nice and cool , but not cold, and
2. keep the battery busy. It actually likes to work.

Do those things and, depending on intensity of use, the battery should be good for two to five years.

One rather important tip: Don't buy spare batteries if you don't need them right away. LiIon and LiPol batteries deteriorate, whether you use them or not, so buying that cheap spare for use in two years will turn out to be money wasted. There are ways to store them, but they're complicated, require monitoring and are never100% effective.

This is also why, when you do buy a spare, you should always inquire about the fabrication date. Not only does it make you look knowledgeable but, if the salesdroid goes "Duh?", you have your cue to walk away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

About the waranty,my device was sent to the servicenter from the shop i got it in belgium it was there for 3 weeks,i called them several thimes,but the dident want to repare,the say its users damage and repare was not possible anymore,i dit not contact archos, i was tired waiting and waiting.but am glad that my device works for the moment,i gonne order 4 cell phone batterys for it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was using my Archos 101 on a wall and permanently connected to the charger, after 2 weeks on charge and in use one of the batteries swelled up and broke out of the case. Unfortunately I couldn't return it under warranty as I'd already opened it up to try to remove the rear stand to make wall mounting easier. Interestingly, like a cellphone, the board won't power up without batteries attached.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamamoose/ ... hotostream

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:03 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

iamamoose wrote:
I was using my Archos 101 on a wall and permanently connected to the charger, after 2 weeks on charge and in use one of the batteries swelled up and broke out of the case. Unfortunately I couldn't return it under warranty as I'd already opened it up to try to remove the rear stand to make wall mounting easier. Interestingly, like a cellphone, the board won't power up without batteries attached.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamamoose/ ... hotostream

It's not as if I actually like to say, "Told you so!", but...

On the booting up issue, some handhelds/tablets do require a battery to be present on startup, but will continue to run if the battery is removed afterward -- provided they're on A/C power of course. It could be worth a try... as long as I'm not the one having to try it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

stefke66 wrote:
the battery of my 101 are dead ,i cant find them enywere help,i love my device butt the are complete dead i desoldered the battery's already :(

My batteries were dyeing month after I purchased. Slowly took less and less charge. 6 months ago finally send it for repairs. They dragged for month. We emailed back and forth because they told me my warranty expired. I send them Black and white paper showing that my warranty expires in 2 years. They said no and there was nothing I could do. They finally returned dead unit back to me.
They had some guts to do that. I complained to main office in UK. Do you think they care? I filed complain with BBB that didn't help.
I am out of ideas?
Does anyone tried to repair locally at any repair shops?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

karel jansens wrote:
nochedelmono wrote:

Avoid deep discharges if you can; avoid temperature extremes; if you use a different charger, try to find one with the same specs or, if that's not possible, always go for lower amps (the 101 has a 2 amp charger).

Charge the battery often, ideally whenever you see the opportunity. Not topping off won't harm it, but charging fully is always better. Don't leave the 101 on the charger for days on end (it's not harmful for the battery per se, but it will raise the temperature unnecessarily). The same goes for the habit of using the device on mains for long periods: Don't. It heats up the device and can shorten battery lifetime dramatically.

Basically there are two rules of thumb:

1. Keep the battery nice and cool , but not cold, and
2. keep the battery busy. It actually likes to work.

Do those things and, depending on intensity of use, the battery should be good for two to five years.

One rather important tip: Don't buy spare batteries if you don't need them right away. LiIon and LiPol batteries deteriorate, whether you use them or not, so buying that cheap spare for use in two years will turn out to be money wasted. There are ways to store them, but they're complicated, require monitoring and are never100% effective.

This is also why, when you do buy a spare, you should always inquire about the fabrication date. Not only does it make you look knowledgeable but, if the salesdroid goes "Duh?", you have your cue to walk away.

where can you buy spare batteries for Archos 101 G9? Archos wont fix it because 1 year is over . I send them copy where it says 2 yrs warranty for tablets so they apologized and said they will fix it.
few months later -old dead unit was return to me. I filled complaint with BBB, wrote to headquarters in UK and nothing helped. So have to look somewhere else for batteries or someone to fix it for me. Any ideas?