Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've read here in the forum that many are having their USB port stop working. My husband and I both have the Archos 101 Internet tablets; they were bought at the same time from the same place and both have had the Firmware updated to the latest version.

My husbands USB port works just fine. Mine does not.

We have been talking with Archos vis email and telephone for 4 days. No solution was reached. (Solutions offered were to reload firmware and then to completely reset the Archos from scratch.)

So we have been instructed to return the Archos 101. They do not know if they will repair or simply send us a new one. Time frame offered: 2 to 3 weeks.

Also - FYI - They do not seem to be aware that there are many people having this problem!

If your USB port has stopped working, PLEASE email Archos with Problem and recieve a "Support Ticket" on it, so Archos will know this is a widespread problem.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:18 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I did email them. They ignored me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

JTC wrote:
I did email them. They ignored me.

call them. That's what works best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:21 am 
Archos User
Archos User

i phoned them up and got a very nice man on the other end he asked me to update my firmware again and if that doesnt work to call them back so i can return it to get fixed...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I just called Archos Tech Support and reported that the USB was not recognizing any flash drives. I told him that others on this forum are experiencing the same problem. He said this problem had never been reported before and that forums are not a reliable source of information. He suggested several things to try and I told him that I had already tried everything he suggested, with no success, and so had others on this "unreliable" forum. He again told me that forums are unreliable and that he would look into the problem and then he abruptly hung up. I then called Archos Customer Service and reported the conversation I had with Tech Support. She put me hold and then came back and told me that this problem had indeed been reported before and that they were working on it. She told me that I should hear from then by the middle of next week. I sincerely have my doubts that will happen. I can assure you that I have found a great deal of "reliable" information on this forum. Of course, it is not all reliable but I weed through all of the posted info and I have also learned who the individuals are on this forum that generally have reliable information. I/We owe a big thank you to those that are providing reliable information. I will keep you posted on the outcome of my situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Boilermaker, Thanks for posting your experience.

Due to bad weather, we haven't shipped my Archos 101 back yet - so my husband is going to get on the phone with Archos again to follow up on what the customer service rep told you. I have said all along that I think this is a software problem, cause the usb drive is working in the sense that it is getting power - you can charge your phone with it, etc.. If he can get some information on the generic usb driver Archos uses and possibly download it and install that would be wonderful!!

I'll update after his call.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:38 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I also suspect that it is some kind of software conflict. Please keepus posted on anything that you may find out. I'll do the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

UpDate: DH talked with someone at Archos who he said sounded very intelligent and genuinely interested in the problem. My husband mentioned that even after we completely wiped the Archos, my Album thumbnail cache and a few other things were still on the tablet. ( Rep said that should not happen!) He also told us that Archos was indeed aware of the USB problem, that they, too, believe it is software related, and that they are working on an update patch right now. The bad news is he had no time frame for when they may get something released.

My RMA is good for 30 days, and we are going out of town late next week and I want to take my tablet, so we are not returning the tablet until after the trip - HOPING that by then Archos will have released something.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Update:

I installed the latest firmware update. I reformatted the tablet several times, reinstalled the updated firmware several times, and no joy re my usb host still does not work.

So we sent the tablet back to Archos on 01/27/2011 for either repair or replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

RMA Update:

My Archos 101 Tablet was received in the Archos warehouse on 01/31/2011.

Received notice today, 02/07/2011, that my Archos RMA was shipped along with UPS information.

There was no other information ie; did they "Repair" mine or are they sending a new one.

Guess we'll know in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jennu wrote:
RMA Update:

My Archos 101 Tablet was received in the Archos warehouse on 01/31/2011.

Received notice today, 02/07/2011, that my Archos RMA was shipped along with UPS information.

There was no other information ie; did they "Repair" mine or are they sending a new one.

Guess we'll know in a couple of days.

They don't repair your device and send it back to you. You'll either get a brand new one or a refurbished one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mine was working ok until I used the latest update of the OS (2.1.04) and then it stopped. I went back to the previous version of the OS but this did not cure the problem. I have tried different USB sticks and reset the device down to the lowest possible levels several times - indeed scaring myself once when the startup wizard would not run. No joy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Once it's gone, it stays gone. From what I've read, it seems that software/firmware update causes a problem with the USB hardware. The damage seems to be irreversible. If and when Archos determines the cause, they may be able to prevent it in the future. I am extremely reluctant to RMA mine because everything else works fine. Plus it doesn't make much sense to me to RMA it when they don't know what the cause is. The replacement unit could develop the same problem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Final update:

I received my RMA tablet yesterday, 02/09/2011. They sent a brand new tablet - with all the cables, etc...

Of course, everything is working wonderfully for now.

So - 10 business days from the time they received mine until I received a new unit. That's a lot better than I had feared.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
They sent a brand new tablet...
Of course, everything is working wonderfully for now.

Hi. Which firmware version is currently running on the thing?
2.1.0x ?
If not, will you be brave enough to upgrade to the latest v.2.1.04 ?

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I did upgrade. Everything working fine.

After everything I installed, I checked the usb host. So far, everything good. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Jennu wrote:
I did upgrade. Everything working fine.

After everything I installed, I checked the usb host. So far, everything good. :-)

Was the full market installed on your 101 before the usb stopped working ? And, since you have received it back, have you installed the full market ? If you have which apk did you use ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have the same problem after updating to 2.1.4!
Would another firmware updat cure the problem.
I really bdon't want to send mine back becasue of this and as someone else said what if the new one has the same problem after the update.
I look forward to comments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

It seems that once the USB Host is broken, nothing anyone has tried, and we have tried about everything, will restore it. Archos is passing out RMAs. But I hate to send mine away for a couple of weeks, when the USB Host, which I rarely use, is all that is wrong with it. It is remotely possible that Archos will be able to fix the issue in firmware...but unlikely to try while the are passing out RMAs. More likely they will assume it is bad parts and swap out their Host Controller supplier. Eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

What guarantee do we have if we send it back that it won't happen again when we update to 2.1.4?
Has Archos fixed it on the replacements?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next