Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm a long time tech fan. Have always been an Archos fan but have been using a series of Creative products for years. Love them, too but recently bought a refurbished 404 with dock. It had lots of music and videos that I would never listen to and I formatted the HDD. Of course, I lost many of the screen files and such. Can I buy these? Are they part of any upgrades or plug-in> Please advise.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

the default files are here

ftp://support.archos.com/Archos_404/

the plugins are really extra cost options to allow playback of mpeg2, vob files and mp4, H264, AAC sound etc. I don't know if they are still available on the archos site, but ebay often has them for sale.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for posting the link to the files. In the meantime, After buying a refurbished 404 that had lots of music and vids that I would never use, I formatted the HDD. At first, the 404 would shut down after syncing 3 or 4 music files. After several repair and re-formats, it finally began to sync files through WMP11. Everything seemed to working okay. After a lengthy sync, the 404 froze. It remains in the Archos pre-menu start up screen. I have re-set the unit several times without any success. Please advise.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

have you tried holding down tv/lcd and power button during boot up giving a screen with options:

recover?

no
repair
format

repair should not erase data, only clear system files. cache, thumbnails etc. It sounds like the hard drive has problems, see if you can full format instead of quick that maps out any bad sectors?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks. I have not tried that yet. I have found the small re-set pin hole on the top and attempted that re-set method several times. I also followed some threads about the battery issues and saw that the previous owner had opened the case and damaged the four screw mounts on the back case. The original battery was still installed. I checked the battery and HDD connections. They were good. I will order and try a new battery today because of more issues that have occurred. I mentioned in an earlier post that the screen froze at the Archos logo during boot up. After an overnight recharge on the DVR dock, the screen would still freeze. Then after about 5 minutes it would flicker and change colors and eventually fade out and the unit would power off. This i8s why I believe a battery would solve the issue.

Another issue is that the headphone jack only plays one side. I thought maybe the expanding battery might have caused this issue. Yeah, a hassle but I was planning to dock the 404 in the DVR station and link it to my BluRay through the USB cable and to my stereo through an SVideo cable.

At this point in time, the unit will not power on at all. Can't wait for the battery!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yes, it won't work without a battery with some charge on 5V in. Good Luck !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am a believer in the "you get what you paid for" principle. I knew buying a used product was a risk. I was excited that it appeared I was getting somewhere with the 404. The new battery was good to get. Free shipping and all. After listening to the HDD click on and off dozens of times, I've concluded that it is beyond repair. I happened to have an extra 30G HDD from a Creative Lab Zen Vision M. Both products use the exact same drive. I thought I was in business. The HDD installed easily enough and when connected to the PC was recognized but only as a USB mass storage device. I looked again on the forums and found that others had the same issue. It appears that the HDD are coded by Archos and without the code, the HDD will not be recognized and the Archos operating system in the 404 will not work. So, I either end up with an expensive and rather small external drive or somebody out there in Archos world might know how or if I can hack into the code generator so I can get this 404 to work as the fine device it was designed to be.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

talk to these people and ask if they can progam your new drive, you'll need the serial number of the old drive.

http://s289462194.e-shop.info/shop/page/1?shop_param=

I bought a 160GB drive from them for an AV500 (to get 130G of storage) and it worked fine, so far as I know they are the only people who will re-write the manufacturers area of a hard drive to suit.